The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-13-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
low n loud

hello from the newbie

well hello everyone,

my name is mike and i am from wisconsin.
i am 15 years old and i am looking to do a 63/ 60-61 conversion truck. i want a cool truck for when i get my license. my dream truck would be a 63 short box custom cab with a hopped up straight 6. i plan to swap the hood and grill from a 60 -61 apache. i plan to put it on bags and have a rusty flat sea foam green and white paint job.

any ideas of how much money i should set aside for a project like this?
i have not been a real car guy until this last year so im still learning things

thanks
low n loud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:48 PM   #2
PoDuck

Re: hello from the newbie

It all depends on what you're going to do, and if you have the ability to touch things without fixing them completely, which I don't.

I decided to rewire my truck, replace my generator with an alternator, remove the knee knocker air conditioning system, and replace my wheel cylinders, which should have taken a weekend. A month later, I'm not finished, my doors are apart for some reason, I replaced my heater hoses, dome light, firewall pad and cigarette lighter, and am replacing my heater cables, levers and switch. My fenders are off and I'm fixing rust on them, my valve covers are painted, I have new heater hoses, thermostat, and fuel lines. I'm considering a new master cylinder, and I'm not sure what else I'll get into before I get to button things up.

It is really difficult to know how much you'll need for things unless you know all the problems ahead of time, and all the prices for the things you'll have to repair or replace.

You can spend a few hundred dollars, or tens of thousands depending on how in depth you go.
PoDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Welcome to the forum. My suggestions would be to put away as much money as you can, so when the opportunity arises you can buy the best truck you can find. Money spent on a vehicle in better condition will save you tons of money later while also allowing your enthusiasm to remain high. Rust and bodywork cost more than anything else in restoration. Mechanical problems are cheap and easy to repair by comparison. And converting a running truck into a pile of restoration parts that can't be moved on its own, is the best way to lose interest. So try to obtain something that needs limited minor repairs or just upgrades to suit your taste. And spend some time researching the common/known rust problems specific to these trucks until you become expert in what to look for.

Good luck!
Old 01-13-2013, 05:55 PM   #4
Hx16457

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoDuck View Post
It all depends on what you're going to do, and if you have the ability to touch things without fixing them completely, which I don't.

I decided to rewire my truck, replace my generator with an alternator, remove the knee knocker air conditioning system, and replace my wheel cylinders, which should have taken a weekend. A month later, I'm not finished, my doors are apart for some reason, I replaced my heater hoses, dome light, firewall pad and cigarette lighter, and am replacing my heater cables, levers and switch. My fenders are off and I'm fixing rust on them, my valve covers are painted, I have new heater hoses, thermostat, and fuel lines. I'm considering a new master cylinder, and I'm not sure what else I'll get into before I get to button things up.

It is really difficult to know how much you'll need for things unless you know all the problems ahead of time, and all the prices for the things you'll have to repair or replace.

You can spend a few hundred dollars, or tens of thousands depending on how in depth you go.
I agree with this one!
On mine I thought it would take maybe a year, it has been over 3 now and I still continue to add new things and it isn't street legal yet!
Lol, take your time and make it safe!
Have fun and try not to forget about your other family members!
They could start telling you "you are addicted to that truck"!
and you might just be!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-14-2013, 01:01 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Welcome to the forum Mike

I agree with what has been said above, particularily Mark's advise. I would suggest trying to find a truck that either runs and drives, or will not take much to get it running and driving. Once you get one running and driving, try and tackle small projects at first. Ones that don't render your truck inoperable for too long. It is easier to keep motivated when the truck is still driveable.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:32 AM   #6
rustyrodknocker

Drive it home. There will be plenty of things to do to any 50 year old truck. It will keep your interest up while you learn. It will also let you focus on the things you want to do, rather than have to do. The one your looking for will have current registration. Run well and have decent tires and functional brakes. You can get free brake checks from the major chains. As far as money it's going to take all you can justify throwing at it. You can watch Craigslist and eBay to get an idea on pricing. Try not to spend all you have. I would be shopping the 3/4 tons you can get a solid driver for a fraction of the money. have fun.
Posted via Mobile Device
rustyrodknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 01:43 AM   #7
MikeS.

Welcome to another Mike.
Posted via Mobile Device
Triluminar Lodge #117 GL of WVa

My 1963 4x4 Suburban build;
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=531274

My Gallery, now with pics of my 1966 C30 motorhome.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/gallery/...&ppuser=103447
MikeS. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 04:15 AM   #8
Vernski

Welcome to the forums Fast & Loud this the place to find info on your ride. I'm not quite sure if you have one or are looking for one from your post but no matter we all like to talk trucks so just ask away we like to help...Vernski
Vernski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:27 AM   #9
TehNewGuy

This site is great in helping you decide which way to go with your truck and then helping get there once you start heading in that direction. If you have a truck your about to work on take pictures!!!!! If you’re getting a truck, don’t forget to take pictures!!!!! (There has been a few times in showing a picture of one thing, they spotted a problem I hadnt seen or a better solution for somthing else in the backround) Wish I had the brains to start a project as early as you did!

TehNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:17 PM   #10
63burban
Chevy addict

Hey Mike,
I assume you are in West Bend, WI ?
I am 20 miles west of West Bend, if you need anything, let me know. I have several 63-66 trucks. 920-387-0057
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 02:24 PM   #11
da_bears_da1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63burban View Post
Hey Mike,
I assume you are in West Bend, WI ?
I am 20 miles west of West Bend, if you need anything, let me know. I have several 63-66 trucks. 920-387-0057
This is exactly what makes this forum great!!!!

Everyone is very supportive. Good advice for Mike! Wish I had spent more time shopping, would not be replacing so much metal.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
da_bears_da1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:41 PM   #12
lukes63chev

welcome to the forum,

63 chevy in my oppion is the best truck to great, big front window, coils up front, control arms in the back. there easy to slam. im lookin for a 60-61 chevy hood for my 63. i dont think you will need a ton of cash. i got mine in a trade. a big window truck i gettin hard to find. good luck on building your truck
lukes63chev is offline   Reply With Quote