The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2013, 08:43 AM   #1
Fla Grown

Seeking engine and tranny advice for the pros

Hello Everyone.

I have a 1966 C10 Custom Longbed with a 250 6cyl and Saginaw 3 on the tree. My engine is burning alot of oil so we did a compression test and the results ranged from 150-125. So its time for a rebuild or can I just re-ring the pistons and new valve guide seals for now? Runs like a champ right now no smoke, no engine noise, runs smooth with perfect acceleration and idle.

If a rebuild is necessary what is the best route to take? What are the best parts to buy? I would like a little more power but not necessary.

My other question is converting it to an automatic. I found a 1965 powerlide "rebuilt" with a Genie floor shift kit on it for $600.00. it has 1400 miles on it. Is this a good deal? What does it take to convert it to automatic?

Any help with my questions will be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

Fla Grown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #2
cortcomp

Re: Seeking engine and tranny advice for the pros

I can't answer most of those questions, but i can say that if i'm holding a piston in my hand to put rings on it, i'm taking that motor all the way down and back up, not just valves and rings.

That being said, if your pressure is good, even when hot and idling, i'd say that's a good indicator your bottom end is fine and you could get away with a re-ring/valve job.

nice truck, i have the same color combo...do you know how much it is lowered?
cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:08 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

You don't mention the mileage but these inline sixes are the easiest things to rebuild. What you decide to do depends on whether you want to keep the six or intend to upgrade to a V8 sometime in the future. If you really want to keep it as a six and if you do most of the work (except for machine work) shouldn't cost too much to rework. I got an estimate of about $600-700 parts and labor with me dismantiling and bringing to the shop.

Now if your intentions are to keep it going long enough so you can upgrade later, then do the minimum cause you will not get your money out of it if you try to sell it. I see them for sale here for not very much.

A honing and re-ring and a valve job could get you by but if you do that and the crank bearings, piston bearings and wrist pins are past their prime they will start knocking with the tighter engine.

I don't know much about power glides but have read some good things about them and if rebuilt properly, pretty solid.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #4
Gumby

2 speed power glides are only good for racing when built, never found them that useful on the street, fine for a farm truck that never see's much road.

I still giggle thinking about the Nova my buddy Curtis had [RIP] 250/2 speed power glide that would not shift until 50MPH, we would just laugh ours butts off losing it as the thing rev'ed and rev'ed till it shifted.
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 01:36 PM   #5
Fla Grown

It's lowered 5" in front and 7" in rear. Drop spindles with lowered springs and shocks in front and c notched in the rear with lowed springs and shocks & 2" blocks. All CPP equipment. Also has CPP disc brakes up front and new drums in rear.
Old 01-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #6
Fla Grown

The mileage is 126,193 actual. I plan on keeping it a six. Would like to beef it up with an Offenhauser manifold or something. Im still researching.

Our plan is to pull it and break it down for an inspection to determine what direction to go.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:51 AM   #7
Fla Grown

Re: Seeking engine and tranny advice from the pros

I max out around 55-60 mph. Will the 2 speed powerglide allow me to reach a higher speed? or do I have to change gears in the rear end?
Old 01-16-2013, 10:15 AM   #8
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.
Re: Seeking engine and tranny advice from the pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Grown View Post
I max out around 55-60 mph. Will the 2 speed powerglide allow me to reach a higher speed? or do I have to change gears in the rear end?
Unless you just want to stay with period correct powerglide which were original to those trucks, a TH350, TH400 or 700r4 would be a good choice for cruising.
I see these on Craigs list periodically for not much money around here. I almost bought a 700r4 for $100 but guy sold it before I got there.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 10:41 AM   #9
Fla Grown

Thanks for the information. Im looking for crusing! We love to drive & show it. Hopefully I can have it completed in the next month.
Old 01-19-2013, 11:36 AM   #10
luvbowties

Question Re: Seeking engine and tranny advice for the pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Grown View Post
Thanks for the information. Im looking for crusing! We love to drive & show it. Hopefully I can have it completed in the next month.
You stated, " Runs like a champ right now no smoke, no engine noise, runs smooth with perfect acceleration and idle." Just how much oil is it using? This could determine the urgency of a rebuild, assuming all you stated are accurate.
Sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote