The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-15-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
jayoldschool

Crazy question... am I going to fit?

I'm close to closing a deal on a 65 C10. Here's the deal: I've never been in one! Before you die laughing, it's not a big deal, I've wanted a truck for a long time, and this one is a good deal. I've owned classic cars my entire life, so buying one from a distance doesn't freak me out. If I stick with the in cab tank, and it's a 3spd manual with the deluxe wheel, I'm wondering how well I'm going to fit in it. I'm 6'7", wear a 36" inseam. Not bulky, though, I'm usually around 220lbs.

Any tall 60-66 owners out there than can give me some advice? Also, can I gain any leg room by getting the tank out from behind the new seat?
jayoldschool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:09 PM   #2
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Re: Crazy question... am I going to fit?

I don’t share your height issues, but at 5’10” and about 235 these cabs can get pretty cramped. Removing the gas tank doesn’t help at all with seat room because the top of the seat already runs into the rear window panel before getting to the tank. The only way removing the tank would help is if you could tolerate having the seat back sitting straight up or leaning forward. With the stock backrest angle the seat won't go back any further with or without the tank.

Installing a shorter steering column or swapping to a wheel with a shallower dish will provide more clearance however. Also, depending on whether you have an automatic, stick shift, or power brakes – you can do some adjusting to move the pedals closer to the firewall providing more clearance.

A tilt column might be very helpful as well with those long legs. The trade off with a shorter column or flatter dish to the wheel is that long legs will usually clobber the back of the steering wheel. Having a tilt column adjusted to the up position might provide the most comfortable positioning.
Old 01-15-2013, 09:15 PM   #3
theastronaut

I'm only 5' 8" but the steering wheel sits too close for me to be comfortable. I shortened my column 3" and shrunk the stock steering wheel to 15". Shrinking the wheel also took away about an inch of dish. The have been others who have altered the pedal position to help with leg room.
theastronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:40 PM   #4
oem4me

I'm only 6'2" and I am used to riding with my head on or near the headliner in most newer cars. I don't have this issue with my 60's trucks. I do however ride with the seat in the rearmost position on the sliders.
The fact is bro, you are too tall and nothing will fit you right. It will be less of an issue in this era truck, but the problem still persists. Now go tell your sob story to a short guy, but don't expect any sympathy.
oem4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:52 PM   #5
thunder71

I'm 6'7" about 220 lbs and wear a 36x36 pants and it fits me ok I just went with the smaller steering wheel...you will be looking out the very top of the windshield...I'm use to it and love my 66 short stepper...
Posted via Mobile Device
69 C10 shortbed stepside SOLD
71 C10 custom deluxe long fleetside SOLD
Old 01-15-2013, 09:56 PM   #6
Sillyoldman

6'3 and the clutch was a booger for me.

'71 Custom Deluxe C-20 402.
'67 Buick Special 455.
'49 Plymouth Special Deluxe.
"I love that old car smell"

Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
Sillyoldman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
cortcomp

i'm 6'6", 38x36 pants, fit in my 66 perfectly. clutch was high and a pain, but once i fixed the bent bracket and put the rubber bumper back in, it's been fine. drove it back from CA to OH and never once thought it was too cramped.
cortcomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #8
B_Bob

You could always follow Bomp's lead and stretch your cab. That would give you plenty of space!
B_Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
jj1965

The cabs are small in these trucks. I changed to a smaller steerign wheel and have an auto and that helped a lot. I actually think my truck is the most comfortable thing that I drive now.
jj1965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:19 PM   #10
jayoldschool

Thanks, gentlemen! Nice to hear there are a few tall guys out there that make it work. This won't be a daily for me, so I think I can deal with fitting.

Can anyone compare it to a full size GM RWD? I drive Caprice/Impala SS/Roadmaster/Cadillac Fleetwood. I also have a 65 Impala. I'm guessing the cars are going to be roomier than the C10 (legroom).
Old 01-16-2013, 01:24 AM   #11
BR3W CITY
meowMEOWmeowMEOW

6'4 and 2 and a half. With my 66, auto trans, no in cab gas tank, and bucket seats I fit good. Not a "stretch out comfy" kind of vehicle, but not jammed.

MY BUILD THE H8RDCPTR //\\ MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL REV J HD
BR3W CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:29 AM   #12
joedoh

I am a big guy and fit okay, clutch was problematic till I switched drivetrains and firewall. Had to get a BBW cab though, the small window was way to claustrophobic. nothing wrong with them, I just felt like I was stuck in a closet.

if there is a problem, I can have it.

new project WAYNE http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=844393
joedoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 01:38 AM   #13
jayoldschool

Good info. This one's a BBW.
Old 01-16-2013, 02:18 AM   #14
Slow Build

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunder71 View Post
I just went with the smaller steering wheel...you will be looking out the very top of the windshield......
Quote:
Originally Posted by jj1965 View Post
I changed to a smaller steerign wheel and have an auto and that helped a lot.
I'm 6'4", 230ish and a 36" inseam. I also went to a smaller wheel (out of a pre airbag Lumina). It's around 14.5" as apposed to 17.5" stock wheel and it is also 3/4" farther away from my gut (and face). It made a big difference in the comfort level. As thunder71 said you'll see through the top of the windshield so you probably don't need sun visors.

You are in a more upright driving position in one of these trucks than you would be in a car. That fact makes the leg room situation a little better. Your knees will just be a little more bent but there’s nothing to interfere with you legs so it’s OK. I have an auto trans so I can’t tell you how hard it would be for a taller guy using the clutch, but I wouldn’t want to do it because of my bad back.
Past GM Trucks:
1959 GMC short stepside
1968 GMC short stepside-4x4
1973 Chevy short stepside
1989 Chevy short fleetside-reg cab
1993 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab
2002 Chevy short fleetside-Xcab

Save the dinosaurs, use synthetic oil.
Slow Build is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 AM   #15
brokenspoke

I used a late 80's 60/40 seat whick put me lower in cab about 3 inches and a 80's camero steering wheel which added more room also...I'm thinking of lowering seat frame another 2 inches

Last edited by brokenspoke; 01-16-2013 at 07:13 AM. Reason: addition
brokenspoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:12 AM   #16
pmkrew

6'7 @ 350 here. I have had both a 3spd truck and currently an automatic. I feel like a smaller wheel with the manual will provide more leg room for clutching and other seating options can help with legroom vs the stock bench seat.
I LOVE driving these trucks, most days I would rather drive one of these than our '07 suburban...
Posted via Mobile Device
pmkrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
coulter

im 6'4" and mine seemed pretty comfy with a stock bench.. would like a lil more leg room but not bad

bagged 66 longbed build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=449548

my favorite colors.. black, rust, and shiny!!!! instagram: @coulter918
coulter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:56 AM   #18
kieth

I am 6' 295 lbs, first change was to a tilt wheel out of a 91 burb, that helped clear my belly,

2. removed the fuel tank-----(this allowed the base of the seat to go farther to the rear which gave me more leg room.

3. moved the seat rails back 2" with new holes in the floor-----ditto above

the rear of the seat is now more vertical but it is not an issue for me, I have a long torso so I do end up having trouble seeing the lights at an intersection.....but the tilt wheel and moving the base back did help with my leg room......and belly room.....Kieth
kieth is offline   Reply With Quote