The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-16-2013, 07:11 PM   #1
i heart square bodys

mystery wires !

another question from me that can hopefully be answered ! there is a single wire coming out of my firewall. this wire was connected to a series of wires that went to my transmission, it also spliced off onto an orange clip, I don't think this clip was ever hooked up either. I have removed all of the wiring up to the black and the orange clips because I am planning to install a B&M lock-up controller instead of the stock lock-up controls. what do these remaining wires do, where do they go and why? if it is a power wire I may run my lock up controller off of it if possible .
thanks!
Schiestel
Attached Images

i heart square bodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:15 PM   #2
beamn7

Re: mystery wires !

The orange connector is the test terminal for the lock up converter circuit and you are correct, was never hooked up to anything.... I would imagine one of the others ones is power since power to the TCC solenoid runs through the brake light switch so that when you step on the brake pedal , power is cut off to the TCC solenoid thus releasing the torque converter. The ground side of the solenoid is usually controlled through a pressure switch or multiple pressure switches (on the valve body in the trans) depending on the model code of the trans OR by the ECM if it is an ECM equipped vehicle such as the CA models.

You can simplify very easy by running power through the brake light switch to the + side of the TCC solenoid and running the ground from the solenoid to a normally open single terminal pressure switch that grounds through the body of the switch and install it into a 4th gear pressure tap on the valve body. More or less what the aftermarket kits do.....

(must use a 4 terminal brake light switch)
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 09:37 PM   #3
i heart square bodys

there is no ECM in this one. soooo in english, when i hit the brakes the power gets cut on this wire more than likely ? the tranny was origianly a th350c but im converting it to a 700r4 at the moment. mostly just wanted to know if this wire would power the lock up controls , havent got the B&M kit yet though so i dont exactly know how it works :s

Last edited by i heart square bodys; 01-16-2013 at 09:38 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-16-2013, 09:51 PM   #4
i heart square bodys

okay upon reading the lock up control instructions i kinda get it now ! feel kinda dumb but hey! now i know :P
Old 01-17-2013, 03:59 PM   #5
beamn7

You got it. No such thing as a dumb question!
beamn7 is offline   Reply With Quote