The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2003, 03:04 PM   #1
johnymac

Question Trying to determine what rear axles my 67 has?

I have a 67 C10 stepside. I believe it came with factory 411 gears in her. Now has 373 in her. It is a 12 bolt 8.875 rear end, has coil springs.
Anyway, I am preparing to put a posi unit in it. In my search for parts I have been asked if I have a Splicer 44 or 60, or a HO33 or 35 axles. Is there any way for me to tell? I can't find any numbers on the axle tubes. There are several different combos, so can't just buy all that might apply.

Can anyone help me?
Thanks in advance for any that reply.

Thanks again!!
johnymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:57 PM   #2
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

I'm thinking the Splicer 44 or 60, or a HO33 or 35 axles are all in bigger trucks or 4X4...I never heard the rear in a C/10 be called anything more than a GM 12 bolt.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 08:20 PM   #3
da-burb
"Ochre Ogre"

It could be a Dana(Spicer) 44 or a 12 bolt if it was still original. If it was the Dana 60 it would have to be a semi-floater. I don't know if they were ever offered in our trucks. In either case, identifying the Dana is easy. They have a 44 or 60 cast into the web of the center housing. I also know that the cover of the Dana 60 has 10 bolts holding it on. I haven't counted the 44, but I am going to guess that it isn't 12. So I think you answered your own question when you said "It is a 12 bolt".

Bowtie Truck Stop Inc.
Mid-West GM Truck Restoration Parts Supplier
Your Key Parts, Auto Metal Direct, Dynacorn,
and Goodmark dealer.
like us @ www.facebook.com/BowtieTruckStop

1971 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1971 K-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 C-10 Suburban (Ochre)
1972 K-20 Suburban (Yellow- that just aint right!)

Springfield, Minnesota 56087
da-burb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 09:00 PM   #4
johnymac

It's a 12 bolt.

Oh yes it is a 12 bolt gm 8.875 rear end. I am trying to get the pinion gear and inner and outter beaings. This is when they ask what axles the truck has. This is where I am confused.

I wouldn't care, tear apart and bring the parts to the store, but doing this about 60 miles from home on a Saturday night, so finding the parts the following Sunday might be a problem. I have over a week before we do, so just trying to get any ideas on figuring out what my truck might have.
Thanks for the replies!!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:19 PM   #5
Vince M

The axle numbers on a GM truck 12 bolt is on top of the passenger side axle tube. It's about midway between the pumpkin and the brake backing plate right on top. You might have to do a little scaping and wire brushing to find it.

You can check out some of the drivetrain websites. They have a lot of info on number locations and axle identification.

http://www.drivetrain.com/
Old 06-10-2003, 11:29 PM   #6
Duallie

If the store is giving you choices of dana(spicer) 44 or HO33/35, you must have a GMC and not a chevy. Try going back and asking for the same parts but for a Chevrolet. Or ask for the inner/outer bearings for an Impala 12-bolt of the same vintage and cross reference that way. BUT! The impala will have a LARGER pinion bearing than a truck 12-bolt. FYI
Old 06-11-2003, 07:46 AM   #7
johnymac

Thanks very mucg guys!!
I see in summit they sell Richmond and Ratech install kits. They just list 12 bolt truck, none of this other crap I am getting. I don't need the whole kit, but at this point thinking of buying.

I called, NAPA, Auto Zone, and Robbins which is a local auto parts store in NE. Anyway, they all have the same listings for a 1967 C10 2 wheel drive. Looks like I might buy mail order.

Thanks again!!