The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-10-2003, 03:27 PM   #1
jewels.

Exclamation PICS! Boy, did I ever get myself into a big mess!

I got myself into a mess of trouble recently, and these guys bailed me out!

Please feel free to read my story below, and if you are ever in New Florence, Missouri,
PLEASE DO BUSINESS WITH THESE GUYS!!!!!
THEY ARE THE BEST!!!!!

Here they are:

MAYO AUTO CLINIC
8 Highway WW
New Florence, MO 63363
573-835-2266

New Florence is about 1 hour West of St. Louis on Interstate 70.

Here is my story:
I had decided to take a little 517 mile road trip for a potential job interview. (The market is tight right now, so I was up for anything). I was driving from my hometown of West Lafayette, Indiana to Kansas City, Missouri, on interstate 70 most of the way. I decided to road test the 68 Chevy C-10, to see if she would make it there an back. (Thats a total of 1034 miles!)

Well, as luck would have it, she didn't make it. I was on interstate 70 at exit 125 (if i remember correctly). I was returning home, coming from Kansas City, towards St. Louis, and my main alternator belt started quealing. I pulled off to a gas station, and noticed that the belt was worn pretty good. No big deal. I asked for directions to an autoshop to see if I could find a new belt. The gas station (The Amoco, if you know it) recommended MAYO AUTO CLINIC, a shop about 1/2 mile down the road on Highway WW.

I drove to the garage, they replaced the belt, and as I started it up, expecting to be back on the road shortly. But, the guy there starts yelling at the top of his lungs to shut it off! This guy (the one in the middle of the picture) is an A.S.E. Certified Technician, and right away, he said "You need a new alternator. Your bearings are locked up. You have been driving on nothing but battery juice for quite some time now. You have been wearing down that belt for miles now." And, after the diagnosis, I realized that he was right -- I had been driving with this strange problem for a few months now, not being able to diagnose the strange sluggish startup of the motor! (You learn by experience, and this one was new to my young mind! I'm only 27!)

Well, on Highway WW, I am in the middle of very little. The nearest parts store was more then 1/2 hour away. I was on the phone with them for quite some time, and they weren't sure if they had the externally regulated alternator that I needed for this truck. (Go figure.) So, it took more than an hour and a half to find the alternator that I needed. But the guys at MAYO knew I needed it done, so as soon as she arrived, the three of them dropped their tools, and started in on the truck. They had it on and running in less than 15 minutes! RECORD TIME!

All in all, I only lost about 2.5 or 3 hours on the problem, which is much less than it could have been.

I was seriously in the middle of nothing. No offense to those of you on the board who live here, but there isn't much: See the highway behind the corvette? That's I-70. And the highway this place is on is called Highway WW. Wow! Nothing! Look really hard! Oh, BTW, cool car, eh?

And check out the GTO that they had in the shop getting a new 502:

I've included lots of pics. I plan on sending them a copy of this post, so they know about the business that I am drowning them with. So, all of you 162,000 board readers/posters --- please give these guys your business! The more people who read this post, the better!
Thanks so much!
jewels.

Last edited by jewels.; 06-10-2003 at 06:16 PM.
jewels. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:46 PM   #2
dinnut

good story. if im in the middle of nowhere for no apparent reason and i break down ill have to remember them.
Old 06-10-2003, 03:52 PM   #3
Mike Culpepper
Red

Just shows to go 'ya, there are some good people left in the world.

"The sun don't shine on the same dog's ass all the time." - Catfish Hunter (commenting on why he was not able to pitch another perfect game).
Mike Culpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 03:53 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

It is refreshing to find honest mechanics that will bend over backwards to get you back on the road.
For a shake down run of over 1000 miles to see if it will make it, that is not bad. You don't even WANT to know the horrer I had on a road trip a couple years back on a truck that I thought was ready for the trip.
You are absolutly right about the scenery out there, I have out laws (oops..I ment IN-laws) pretty close to there in a towm called TROY, and there is NOTHING to look at. All the way from there to here (Columbus Ohio just down I-70) is nothing but corn, corn, and more corn.
On a side note, did you get the job? What kind of job is it?
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 04:02 PM   #5
jewels.

Quote:
Originally posted by longhornmail
On a side note, did you get the job? What kind of job is it?
Yes, I did. Actually, it is a whopper of an opportunity. I interviewed to be an apprentice of a business entrepreneur. He has offered to take me under his wing, teach me the in's and out's of his business, pass me off some of his nationally-known clients. (I guess in his business, this is a very rare opportunity.) Then, I can open my own business in another location in the country. I think it is a great opportunity. I will probably take it. I have a few other options on the table in my current career field, but intuition says I should take this opportunity and run. It is a bit different of a career path than I had planned, and it isn't related to my studies, but it still sounds awesome. I have to make up my mind by the end of July. It was well worth the 1000-mile trip!

Thanks for asking!
jewels.
Old 06-10-2003, 04:57 PM   #6
1971Stepside
Almost Satisfied

Cool story and welcome to Missouri!!
1971 C10 Stepside. LSx 6.0 with BTR Stage IV, Speed Engineering Headers, 4L80e transmission w/3200 Circle-D Stall. 3.73. Posi. Purchased this truck when I was 17. I started the rebuild (or take apart) in 1993. I have drug it around all over the country in pieces. Finally back on the road in 2021.

"I can't complain, but sometimes I still do. Life's been good to me so far."
1971Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 05:17 PM   #7
ddsmith
Glowing since 1978

To bad they didn't have a garage on Interstate 68 in western Maryland when my alternator bracket broke. Again one of those places where there is nothing to speak of in terms of repair places. The sad part was all I really needed was someone with a welder. None of the truck stops/ gas stations seem to have any service capabilities anymore. Good to hear you trip went well. If you get real rich from your new business you'll be able to afford one of those 904 cu.in. engines like in snipers post.
ddsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2003, 07:36 PM   #8
Class of 69

Good story on the repair end, but the business opportunity is throwing RED flags all over in my face! No one hands over nationally known client's without a very steep price tag. If you're being asked to fork over a bunch of front money, now, or in the near future...run like hell!
Old 06-10-2003, 09:37 PM   #9
jewels.

Quote:
Originally posted by Class of 69
Good story on the repair end, but the business opportunity is throwing RED flags all over in my face! No one hands over nationally known client's without a very steep price tag. If you're being asked to fork over a bunch of front money, now, or in the near future...run like hell!
Oh no no no. I have to invest no money. None. I just work for him for three months to a year on a modest, but decent salary. Study what he does, help him out.

Essentially, without reading too much into what he has offered, I will probably open what could be referred to as a 'branch' of his office in another location. He has already done this with one other person, who opened a location in the east coast. My dream is to move out west, so I think he is leaning me in that direction. That is how he can afford to pass off clients to me. His business has just grown too much to keep them all, and satisfy them all by himself. (I am making a few assumptions in this description, but this is pretty much how it appears.)

So, don't sweat it. I come from a family who has owned businesses for generations. And I hope to continue the tradition. Any money I invest will be for my own business - not his.

Thanks for the warning --- it will keep me grounded!
jewels
Old 06-10-2003, 09:44 PM   #10
Class of 69

One further recomendation...check with this "other" person on the east coast, and see how he is doing. Good Luck, I don't mean to be negative....just seen too many scam's.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:58 PM   #11
jewels.

Quote:
Originally posted by Class of 69
One further recomendation...check with this "other" person on the east coast, and see how he is doing. Good Luck, I don't mean to be negative....just seen too many scam's.
Already have. Had a long, long intensive conversation about the goods and the bads. The way he put it, he said, just study under the guy for a short time. If you don't end up taking any clients, no loss. Its a nice, short term job and experience. So, I just might go for it. We'll see.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I am young, and I really appreciate it! Keep it comin! ;D

jewels.
Old 06-10-2003, 09:59 PM   #12
Longhorn Man

class of 69, I was getting ready to say that myself.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:19 PM   #13
barn9
Half a bubble off!

Hey jewels, glad everything turned out good for you. If you want to do those guys a favor, write a letter to the public forum section of the newspapers in that area, that's where most of their business comes from I would imagine. Hard workin' guys in small towns don't get many pats on the back, I'm sure they would appreciate it.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:25 PM   #14
jewels.

GREAT IDEA!!!

Quote:
Originally posted by barn9
...If you want to do those guys a favor, write a letter to the public forum section of the newspapers in that area...
What a great idea! I couldn't think of a better one! I am going to do just that. Its the least I can do!

You guys are great! Great suggestions! Great advice! This board is awesome! Feels like family!

Thanks!
jewels.
Old 06-10-2003, 10:31 PM   #15
Longhorn Man

That is an awsome idea!
Hey Jewels...sweet rims on your rig there!
Old 06-11-2003, 04:19 AM   #16
Mudder

Hey jewels.........I'm just a little south of New Florence. You should have yelled!
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2003, 10:01 AM   #17
jewels.

Quote:
Originally posted by Mudder67
Hey jewels.........I'm just a little south of New Florence. You should have yelled!
mudder67, i had no idea! boy, i wish i could have known that, and i would have stopped by! sorry i missed the opportunity.

so, can you give me your two cents? is this shop a good shop to work with? have you ever worked with them? i am planning to write to the local paper there. do you have a suggestion as to which paper they would most likely read over there? (i haven't started that search yet - probably today sometime)

jewels.
Old 06-11-2003, 12:00 PM   #18
Mudder

It sits between the two small towns of Hermann and Montgomery City. Its a lot closer to Montgomery City so that would be my guess. My body man is in Hermann. I usually go to MC a couple times a year for shows ans such. Next time you come out this way let me know and I will get you my number(s).
Mudder is offline   Reply With Quote