The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #1
tommys72

ridicoulus prices for trucks

Is it Barrett Jackson causing this? I was driving around yesterday and spotted a 71 swb Cheyenne super. Super nice truck, but as I walked up to it I quickly realized it was not worth 29000 dollars...it had ac and a 350, other than the short bed it wasn't crazy optioned or anything. The motor was not original and it had been repainted about 7 years ago the guy said....not 29 grand worth of a truck imo
Posted via Mobile Device

tommys72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:54 AM   #2
Lee H

Re: ridicoulus prices for trucks

Maybe a little Barrett Jackson but mostly the general hotrod market and a big ego. He must not want to sell it real bad. Not sure about this weekend but in past BJ and Mecum's, I don't think fresh restored ones have been getting much past $20. Now that the economy has picked up a little it will be interesting to see what they bring this weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703

Last edited by Lee H; 01-19-2013 at 10:05 AM. Reason: Typo
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
b.eddy's72

Well the trucks that sell on BJ are fully restored trucks in most cases. Just sit and do a little list of what it would cost to build a fully restored truck and see what you would have in it. Be considerate to yourself. Start with a pretty fair condition truck at about $2000. Price all the way from soda blasting the frame to a really good paint job. My 72 was purchased my by grandfather new and is now mine and needs to be restored. I have sat down and got a rough list of parts and supplies needed and came up with around $18,000 which would basically be a new 72 truck. How much is labor worth? Ive heard people say that you wont ever get out of something what you put in it but Im not taking a loss either. I do agree that $29000 is a little steep but if somebody is gonna give it than by all means take it.

Ya must have been movin cause I was haulin a*$ when I passed you
b.eddy's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:25 AM   #4
derrickmanx1

After sinking 20+k into parts it's hard not to include labor, bs time to research and details to take care of. 29,000 seems like a deal. The old saying how do you sell a truck for 25k??? Spend 50k on it.
JAKES 4L80E TCI TCU PTC 10.5" 2800 STALL
My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...30#post5779530
derrickmanx1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:27 AM   #5
Littletony

I think in our area the seller knows some young Marine coming home will pay for it.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps!" ..............Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945
Littletony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:39 AM   #6
69GWC

Been a couple priced like that around here on CLs, dont see them selling.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:40 AM   #7
b.eddy's72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littletony View Post
I think in our area the seller knows some young Marine coming home will pay for it.
Lets just be thankful that they are coming home and remember the ones that gave it all and dont make it back. God Bless all our troops...............

Ya must have been movin cause I was haulin a*$ when I passed you
b.eddy's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
no moa

Every year i sit there and watch vehicles go through that auction, and i cringe. I'm sorry but a couple of those trucks were not worth 55k. But if thats what the sellers got for the, congrats gentlmen.

That auction has been accused of being shady, they buy their own cars back and put them back in storage. I would assume its to drive the prices up. Who knows. I have a link if anyone wants to bother to read it.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 10:42 AM   #9
no moa

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.eddy's72 View Post
Lets just be thankful that they are coming home and remember the ones that gave it all and dont make it back. God Bless all our troops...............
amen

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451950

1971 c10 step 250 3 OTT

1969 c30 TOW-MATER. 307 4 speed, holmes 440 body.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=451082

2006 CTS-V LS2 6spd.
no moa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 11:13 AM   #10
tommys72

I understand the parts and labor...by all means i do. But this truck wasn't restored, it was painted and freshened up a little bit some years ago. I believe he was testing the waters, with all that being said, I'd buy the truck, just at a price that wasn't so steep...it is a nice truck. I shoulda took a few pics, but by the time he was done talking and I was done looking I didn't it think to do it
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 01-19-2013, 11:48 AM   #11
desertnick69

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommys72 View Post
Is it Barrett Jackson causing this? I was driving around yesterday and spotted a 71 swb Cheyenne super. Super nice truck, but as I walked up to it I quickly realized it was not worth 29000 dollars...it had ac and a 350, other than the short bed it wasn't crazy optioned or anything. The motor was not original and it had been repainted about 7 years ago the guy said....not 29 grand worth of a truck imo
Posted via Mobile Device
In have to say YA! This weekend they have one here in Phoenix. I have looked at 5 trucks this week (if they are in the yrs of 67-72 and for sale I LOOK) 2 of the 5 I looked at this summer. Now they have added $5000 - $7000 to the price. Wait they will go back down.
desertnick69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 12:48 PM   #12
PAWS 72

Me and a friend was talking to same thing last night.Unless its the vehicles themselves or what we couldn't come up with a reasonable answer.

I know some of the prices are just outragous on stuff but I guess its the prices on parts to and body shop supplies but guys some prices are awful.
PAWS 72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
big_al_71

I also agree that there are plenty of people that have bumped their heads asking stupid money for vehicles that truly are not woprth 1/2 of the asking price. Also just because you can build it does not mean you should as I have seen so many hack jobs, yet I have seen people spent a ton of money and the end result is AWESOME yet they are buried to their eye balls on such vehicle which they will NEVER get the money back with good economy or bad economy.

I go to Barret Jackson auction every year here in west palm beach. there are some superb vehicles at a level that most have never seen or would ever see driving around. There are also some buckets that get sold earlier in the week say tuesday-thursday that are vehicles under say 15k. Many would argue that they can build a vehicle for alot less or they would never pay this or that obviously you can build anything it all depends on what parts you use name brand etc. Some of us have more money in parts alone than what others have in their complete truck.

To end my comment yes there are many buckets that are way over priced yet there are some serious vehicles being sold right now for .50 on the dollar.

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:29 PM   #14
hatred

Couple that with the price that some people are asking for NOS stuff, and anything for these trucks anymore seem steep. Joe Blow finds a NOS door or tailgate and instantly wants eleventy billion dollars for it. Stupid IMO...

I upset whiners too....
hatred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:34 PM   #15
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

Just because someone sinks boatloads of cash into a vehicle, doesn't automatically make it worth that much. Just because your receipts add up to 20,000 grand, doesn't make it worth that much. People should understand that before they build. But they don't.

On the other end of the spectrum... this is the age of lots of rich cats willing to write big checks for overpriced vehicles.

Funny thing is... Barret-Jackson, and Mecum auctions have been around for eons...

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:28 PM   #16
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

The big auctions always bring huge $$$.I've watched enough to come to the conclusion that ,it ain't about the cars.It's a game of who's checkbook is bigger and what the little trophy on the arm wants.I saw the 'Cuda used in "Nash Bridges" go for $170,000+ when it was a 360/auto car with a shaker hood.The car was maybe worth $40,000 and the guy that bought it stopped bidding until the blonde next to him started nudging.
Watch auction hunter or storage wars and all you see is people buying lockers and making money.I'm sure there's some making money like that but I'm also sure it's not as often as those shows would lead you to believe.People pay big $$$ for the media to hype this stuff.I'm sure the price of the average storage locker has gone up quite a bit from it also.
Too many people watch these auctions now(the media has partly caused prices to go up) and think their junk is comparable to the top cars sold there.Another aspect is that cars are exempt from capital gains taxes so if you should happen to choose right and get one that appreciates in value,when you sell it you get to keep the money.At one point some big money was being paid for some of them as an investment.I don't see that as much now since the people buying them feel the economy to some extent,though it does seem to be getting better.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #17
Russ.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
On the other end of the spectrum... this is the age of lots of rich cats willing to write big checks for overpriced vehicles.
That's one of the biggest problems. People not realising that someone flush with cash doesn't pay what he thinks it's worth - he pays whatever it takes to get what he wants - especially at an auction, regardless how ridiculous it gets. Unfortunately Joe Blow sees that auction/selling price, and automatically believes his average driver is worth more than it is.

No different to anything else on the open market. Someone buys a house at auction for $400,000 over it's reserve price, then all of a sudden everyone else in the same street automatically thinks the value of their house just increased, and try to capitalize by putting it on the market for a ridiculous price.
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:53 PM   #18
LakeAnna

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrickmanx1 View Post
After sinking 20+k into parts it's hard not to include labor, bs time to research and details to take care of. 29,000 seems like a deal. The old saying how do you sell a truck for 25k??? Spend 50k on it.
I'm with you on that all the way! Have any trucks sold this week??

72 RESTO

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=501870
LakeAnna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:09 PM   #19
jjzepplin

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.eddy's72 View Post
I think Obama should buy every one of these fellas a $29,000 Chevy truck!
jjzepplin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:41 PM   #20
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
The big auctions always bring huge $$$.I've watched enough to come to the conclusion that ,it ain't about the cars.It's a game of who's checkbook is bigger and what the little trophy on the arm wants.I saw the 'Cuda used in "Nash Bridges" go for $170,000+ when it was a 360/auto car with a shaker hood.The car was maybe worth $40,000 and the guy that bought it stopped bidding until the blonde next to him started nudging.
Watch auction hunter or storage wars and all you see is people buying lockers and making money.I'm sure there's some making money like that but I'm also sure it's not as often as those shows would lead you to believe.People pay big $$$ for the media to hype this stuff.I'm sure the price of the average storage locker has gone up quite a bit from it also.
Too many people watch these auctions now(the media has partly caused prices to go up) and think their junk is comparable to the top cars sold there.Another aspect is that cars are exempt from capital gains taxes so if you should happen to choose right and get one that appreciates in value,when you sell it you get to keep the money.At one point some big money was being paid for some of them as an investment.I don't see that as much now since the people buying them feel the economy to some extent,though it does seem to be getting better.

That's what I was wanting to say but really didnt know how. But in this day Its who has got the most to throw away.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:43 PM   #21
PAWS 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatred View Post
Couple that with the price that some people are asking for NOS stuff, and anything for these trucks anymore seem steep. Joe Blow finds a NOS door or tailgate and instantly wants eleventy billion dollars for it. Stupid IMO...
That's what alot of the problem is. We will just about pay that crazy price.And someone knows that those parts fit better alot of the time also.
Old 01-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #22
PAWS 72

big al how much do they charge to get in?
Old 01-19-2013, 07:05 PM   #23
big_al_71

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAWS 72 View Post
big al how much do they charge to get in?
depending on which day from 13.00 per day up to 18.00 well worth it
besides the vehicles the EYE CANDY in south florida is out of control..

Sylvester's build thread >>>http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...ht=big+rebuild
big_al_71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #24
tommys72

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjzepplin View Post
I think Obama should buy every one of these fellas a $29,000 Chevy truck!
I'll take one!! Haha....its just crazy that someone thinks they have a gold mine because they see it on tv, again, with that being said...ill have to get a pic or two because it was a really nice truck
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 01-19-2013, 08:32 PM   #25
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

My other beef is cats that will build a "tribute" car, but want actual car prices. Like taking a '66 Lemans and turning it into a '66 GTO. Or taking a plain jane 6 cylinder Mustang and turning it into a GT 500. Or a Chevy Malibu and turning it into an "LS6" Super Sport.

If you're building a "tribute" rig, you should expect "tribute" prices.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote