The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2013, 02:10 AM   #1
bigwheel15

Compressor Rental...

Well its time to spray my truck a solid color and ive got next to no resources in terms of friends with a compressor large enough to handle spraying so I figured id take a day or two and rent a compressor. So what im wondering is does home depot or lowes rent compressors?
bigwheel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:22 AM   #2
DesertCat

Re: Compressor Rental...

Not to sound like a jerk, but why do you ask a forum rather than the business in question?

I suggest you will have to wait until morning and ask them or browse thier website for the info.
Old 01-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #3
bigwheel15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertCat View Post
Not to sound like a jerk, but why do you ask a forum rather than the business in question?

I suggest you will have to wait until morning and ask them or browse thier website for the info.
Well seeing as how they are closed at this moment, I thought id see if someone knew if they did indeed rent them out. Their site didnt answer my question, nor did google. Worst that could happen is noone answers, I check em out tomorrow after work and I post my findings for someone who may have this same question later.

bigwheel15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:51 AM   #4
DesertCat

Okay, well, if they rent one big enough to actually use to paint a complete, it will likely pump as much water as it does air. Rental stuff gets abused and put away wet, so to speak.

Do you have a plan to deal with the water in the line? A simple trap isn't going to be enough.

Just want you to think about that as it would ruin your hard work and waste $$$.

Sometimes it's better to try to find a painter willing to do a side job to spray it for you (I used to do that a lot when I was making a living painting). Probably work out to same/similar $$ in the end.

Good luck!
Old 01-23-2013, 06:14 AM   #5
donut

DesertCat speaks the truth.some stores will rent you a backhoe, others won't even have a rental dept. His idea of a painter willing to do it on the side is a good one though.
Odds are if your local store did rent one, it'll either be too small (picture gas powered wheelbarrow style) or one big enough for a jackhammer. Then water and blowing oil become a major concern.
Also check the yellow pages for an equipment rental place, there's a better chance they have what your looking for and can rent you a dryer also (but $$).

I'm kinda like duct tape- no real purpose, but handy to have around.
donut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 09:32 AM   #6
cdowns

large compressors are WAYYYYY overrated

there are probally a few million cars or the road painted with small 20-30 gallon compressors// a solid color is easy by painting one panel at a time and takin your time and tryin to outthink the problems
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote