The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-23-2013, 01:46 PM   #1
ABX131

Anyone running a Edelbrock Carb?

So yesterday Grandpa came over to help me tap a broken bolt in my engine. Once we got it done and everything put back together and ran the engine, he started tweaking with the Air/fuel mixture screws and idle. It seemed ok while it was warmed up but now it is a pain to start. Anyone know what the default settings are (how many turns). I need a starting point. What settings are you running? We are at 500 ft above sea level if that helps.
ABX131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
ob1monkey

Re: Anyone running a Edelbrock Carb?

I always screw them in until they stop then back out 2 1/2 full turns to start with. sea level here and it seems to work good.
ob1monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:58 PM   #3
Hx16457

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABX131 View Post
So yesterday Grandpa came over to help me tap a broken bolt in my engine. Once we got it done and everything put back together and ran the engine, he started tweaking with the Air/fuel mixture screws and idle. It seemed ok while it was warmed up but now it is a pain to start. Anyone know what the default settings are (how many turns). I need a starting point. What settings are you running? We are at 500 ft above sea level if that helps.
http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_...ech_vids.shtml
The above link is for Edelbrock carbs, install vidieo and tech info. One of the videos tells you how to set the carb up (default).
Old 01-23-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
Bret B

Not sure where in Seattle you're at 500ft ASL unless the space needle got a new parking garage. However, the link above is what I somewhat followed when I got my Edelbrock carb. The different models vary slightly, but the 2-1/2 full turns out is pretty good for around this area. Oh, I've got the 1405 or 1406, 600cfm manual choke, if that helps any, and it has been on without needing much adjustment in nearly 25 years (damn that makes me sound old, I was 15 when I put the carb on).
.................|_/(0)\_ll____/(0)_l.
Bret B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:42 PM   #5
harpo1313

with engine running warm ,screw one in until you notice a slight stumble,back out til it smoothes and a quarter turn more,repeat the other one.sometimes it helps if you back down on the idle so you can better pick up on the stumble.You havent disturbed the distributer have you?
harpo1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 02:58 PM   #6
63burban
Chevy addict

A pain to start? Do you have a manual or electric choke ? Do you have a choke? The electric choke needs to be adjusted. If you have a manual choke it takes some getting used to.
63burban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 PM   #7
ABX131

First of all it is worth noting it was fine before he messed with it. It has an electric choke which he did not touch. The timing was not touched. All he messed with was the high and low settings and the idle..He said it was running rich and just started turning away!. BretB, I live in the Maple Valley/Black Diamond area and the altimeter here says about 500 ft...Tiger Mtn of 18 is about 1500 ft.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Bret B

Oh yeah, Maple Valley/Blk Diamond area is higher than Seattle as your location shows. But we digress from your original post slightly.

What do you mean by "turning away"? Have you gone up the link for Edelbrock and re-set everything back to a "standard setting"? Was the timing messed with at all that you know of?
.................|_/(0)\_ll____/(0)_l.
Bret B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:31 PM   #9
ABX131

Well I think I got it all set right. It certainly seems to sound much better. I checked the timing but did not adjust it. It is set at 12 deg BTDC. I was unable to get a wrench to the bolt under the distributor to adjust. Grandpa is taking an old 9/16 wrench and heating it to bend into the right angle to reach. I tweaked the mixture screws as described above by Harpo1313 and adjusted the idle.