The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-24-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
anthony88d

Shift pattern malfunction on 69 C20's 4 speed w/granny

I am having problems shifting my dads 69 C20. I have been driving this pickup for over a year and had my shares of getting used to her quarks. After driving one day, I went to back into a spot and I couldn't shift into reverse. It kept falling into 4. I finaly got it but then when I went to leave a few minutes later, I had difficulty shifting into 3 then into 4. And now when I pull out of 3, either to upshift or downshift, she will click like she would when leaving reverse. Now that long throw for reverse is gone and 3, 4, and reverse are more of a upside down y split then a h split. I poked around online and found a thread on pirate forums regarding slop in the shifter due to bad tack welds and roll pins in the shift tower. I think it is somehing deeper since the pattern is flip floped. My dad has plans for this pick up but I need it as a daily driver until I can find something else.
Posted via Mobile Device
anthony88d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:10 PM   #2
yuccales

Re: Shift pattern malfunction on 69 C20's 4 speed w/granny

Welcome from up the road a bit. I can't help you out with your problem, but you came to the right place to ask questions. Someone will help you out soon.
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
anthony88d

Thanks yucales. Sound like we havd the same truck. Originally had a 327 but my Dad's uncles threw a 350 within headman headers in it to pull goose necks through the ranch, over steep gravel hills. Basicaly stock with a reinforced bumper and hitch and west coast mirrors. Paint is original, has the rust to prove it. That's my family for you, they rather soop up what's under the hood then wory about the appearance. Paint ussualy puts a wrench in the works.
Posted via Mobile Device
anthony88d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:58 AM   #4
yuccales

Post some pics of your truck when you get a chance. I've got a NP 435 trans in mine that still works great, I've never had to take it apart. Wish I could help you out with yours. Maybe go check out some 4 wheel/off road shops in Sac and ask about your trans, those guys put GM 4spds into Jeeps & Toyotas. Good luck!
yuccales is offline   Reply With Quote