The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
derick1

Chassis ID help

Been trying to figure out what fame I have. Ive told that 71 K20 didnt come with a TH400 so I started looking into what the hell is under there. For the chassis ID number on the passenger side frame rail. My gues is a 78 made in St. Louis, but what are the other 3 numbers 192?
Attached Images

derick1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
67c10rustbuket

Re: Chassis ID help

I do not know the meaning of those numbers other than mine has similar and they do not correspond to year as you are assuming. If you indeed had a '78 frame under a '71 there would me many more obviously modified clues. The bodies do not interchange between 67-72 and 73+.

I would start with checking the partial vin stamp on the top of the driver frame rail between the upper control and steering gear box. Does this match the last 8 digits of your vin? mine has 7A******. this is '67, Atlanta, assembly sequence. Where my cab vin is CE147A******

If you had a 73+ frame there would be a necessary body lift as the 73+ frames rise under the cab where 67-72 are flat under the cab. Other visual clues would be the rear axle spring mounts would be moved from original to align with the wheel opening in the bed. Are your rear spring hangars riveted on or bolted on? Do you see an obvious spring patten on the frame rail where the spring hangars used to be originally?

Please post general frame pics of the front and rear suspension, looking down on the front frame rails from under the hood, and the cab body mounts. This would help us to help you. Happy trucking

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote