The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-25-2013, 03:58 PM   #1
AirSpeed

72 GMC upper grill trim

My kids bought me a new chrome upper grill trim for Christmas (great kids!) I would like to mount it without removing the entire grill because installing the grill after I painted my truck was a pain and I don't want to risk scratching the paint. Have any of you done this? Am I going to have to pull the grill? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #2
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Re: 72 GMC upper grill trim

If you have already drilled out all the rivots from your old one you can use small bolts and nuts to put it back together. You will need to spread your fenders a bit to keep from scratching the paint. Being repop you should check the fit at the eyebrows....you probably won't like what you find. I ended up using NOS eyebrows and trimming and reworking the top bar ends to get mine to fit and I'm still not happy. I also had my grill (OEM) off and back on 3 times before I was half happy with the fit of everything.
Good Luck.
71 Serro Scotty Sportsman camper "Scotty"
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
RenoKeene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:59 PM   #3
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoKeene View Post
If you have already drilled out all the rivots from your old one you can use small bolts and nuts to put it back together. You will need to spread your fenders a bit to keep from scratching the paint. Being repop you should check the fit at the eyebrows....you probably won't like what you find. I ended up using NOS eyebrows and trimming and reworking the top bar ends to get mine to fit and I'm still not happy. I also had my grill (OEM) off and back on 3 times before I was half happy with the fit of everything.
Good Luck.
Is the repop that bad? Looks like I'm going to have to pull the grill after all! They didn't buy the two end pieces, just the top, the old one had a small dent I could get out and the chrome had chiped off the dent. Maybe I should fix the dent and have it rechromed if the new one is going to be so ill fitting. Was your trim too wide?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #4
Tim Christian

Not all top bars were rivited on some had small bolts depends what factory the truk was built at I guess.
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:41 PM   #5
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

My top bar (the only repop piece on my grill) was, and is poorly cast junk. The shape on the ends does not match the org or fit well into the eyebrows. Yes, I had to cut about a 1/4" off of each end.
You will need to loosen the fenders from the core support so you can get everything to fit. Put it together loose then tighten it up as you go. You'll figure it out, I bet I have 12 hours in adjusting my whole front end with the fender to hood gaps included.
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Link to more pics of "Rose" http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...p?albumid=1684

Check out my "Cheap Tricks" thread and add to it if you can, lots of good info there. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489394
Old 01-25-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Christian View Post
Not all top bars were rivited on some had small bolts depends what factory the truk was built at I guess.
Mine had a ton of little rivots holding the top bar to the grill, and bolts to the fenders. Had to leave all the little bolts loose until I got it all lined up with the fenders and eyebrows, then go back and tighten all those little suckers up one at a time. Lots of work to get it to my standards (which I set very high for this build).
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 01-25-2013, 05:47 PM   #7
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

You could do like the PO of my truck did and cover the top chrome trim piece with alumanized tape!

It's still kinda factory original right?

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GASoline71 View Post
You could do like the PO of my truck did and cover the top chrome trim piece with alumanized tape!

It's still kinda factory original right?

Gary
That's funny! I bet it looked just fine from 20 yards at 60 mph.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 06:25 PM   #9
AirSpeed

After reading all the headaches I think I'll wait till spring. I don't want to spend all day standing in two feet of snow getting pissed at a grill not fitting! Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-25-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Is yours off the truck? If so compare the ends where the eyebrows go. I would rechrome the old one if you can, but don't tell the kids
Maybe you got a good repop piece.........I hope so.
Posted via Mobile Device
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 01-26-2013, 12:58 PM   #11
AirSpeed

Quote:
Is yours off the truck? If so compare the ends where the eyebrows go. I would rechrome the old one if you can, but don't tell the kids
Maybe you got a good repop piece.........I hope so.
Posted via Mobile Device
I may just do that, I've been anodizing for a few years and am thinking about learning how to chrome, looks pretty simple. I think I'll see how this piece fits and go from there.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2013, 01:43 PM   #12
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

If you could rechrome parts at realistic prices you could stay busy just off this forum....really.
Quit your day job!
BTW check out the pics of my truck and Scotty in my profile..album....Rose. Competition for TOTM maybe
Posted via Mobile Device
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 01-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #13
AirSpeed

Quote:
If you could rechrome parts at realistic prices you could stay busy just off this forum....really.
Quit your day job!
BTW check out the pics of my truck and Scotty in my profile..album....Rose. Competition for TOTM maybe
Posted via Mobile Device
I don't know if I'd want to do chrome for someone else unless I had a year or two experience! I just started anodizing parts for others but I spent some time doing my own stuff first. I doubt I could ever chrome as well and efficiently as a pro shop. Your truck is a beauty, the little camper looks cool behind it!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-26-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Thanks, the Scotty is a 71 and the truck is a 70, painted to match. Lots of fun!
Posted via Mobile Device
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"

Old 02-10-2013, 07:13 PM   #15
AirSpeed

I was working on my truck earlier and got to looking at the top trim on my grill and noticed the oem trim doesn't extend under the side trim pieces like my new one looks to do. My new one has a a step down on each end that appears to go under the end trim. Should I cut these off or try to get it under the trim? I wasn't really excited about the idea of ripping my hands up loosening the nuts on the headlight trim!

Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 07:55 PM   #16
AirSpeed

Quote:
My top bar (the only repop piece on my grill) was, and is poorly cast junk. The shape on the ends does not match the org or fit well into the eyebrows. Yes, I had to cut about a 1/4" off of each end.
You will need to loosen the fenders from the core support so you can get everything to fit. Put it together loose then tighten it up as you go. You'll figure it out, I bet I have 12 hours in adjusting my whole front end with the fender to hood gaps included.
Do you have any pics of yours? Mine came from Classic Parts and the box says "Counterparts", is yours the same? Have any of you bought one from Classic Parts or one marked Counterparts? Thanks!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 08:00 PM   #17
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

I sent my original grill back to the chromer 3 times until they finally ruined it. So I bought this repop grill and upper piece and sent it to a GOOD chrome shop to get a show quality plate. They left side eyebrow is NOS and the right is repop because it fit better than the nos piece I had. Expect fitment issues no matter what, just take a deep breath and be patient. Some redrilling and grinding will be neccessary. Also, remember that these trucks were, well, trucks and not Lexus's.
Posted via Mobile Device

PS I know... The bumper is crooked, I wasn't done with that when I took the picture.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:04 PM   #18
AirSpeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
I sent my original grill back to the chromer 3 times until they finally ruined it. So I bought this repop grill and upper piece and sent it to a GOOD chrome shop to get a show quality plate. They left side eyebrow is NOS and the right is repop because it fit better than the nos piece I had. Expect fitment issues no matter what, just take a deep breath and be patient. Some redrilling and grinding will be neccessary. Also, remember that these trucks were, well, trucks and not Lexus's.
Posted via Mobile Device

PS I know... The bumper is crooked, I wasn't done with that when I took the picture.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hey! Your bumper is crooked! Nice truck! Did your trim have the step down on each end as mine has? Do you remember if yours was a "counterparts" model? Thanks again!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 08:21 PM   #19
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Yes, it has the step down, that did not seem to be a problem. I did have to trim on the eyebrows and oval out the holes that the bolts pass through into the fenders. No real big deal though. I cannot remember if they were counterparts or not. This has been a 9 year frame off, and I can't remember what I had for dinner last night.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:58 PM   #20
RenoKeene
Florida Edition

Check the fit with your eyebrows, mine was a terrible match to both oem and nos sets that I have. The only way to get it right is mock it up. If you want to talk to me about how I did it pmme and I'll give you my #.
BTW I think they all come from the same place on the other side of the planet
Posted via Mobile Device
97 LT1 Z28 "The Hornet"