The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-26-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
jchicago

Pulling a bed off

Found a 64-63 GMC at a scrapyard today. Was going to back this week when we have some warmer weather to pull the longbed off. Before heading back there, I wanted to make sure I know what I'm doing. I searched in the FAQ's here and the rest of the internets, saw a bunch of post of making wood beds, but didn't see info on how to get to the bolts. Do I need to pull the wood up to get to them? Any posts someone can direct me to?

Thanks in advance,
Jason
jchicago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
LVPhotos

Re: Pulling a bed off

6 large bolts hold the bed to frame. A long socket and penetrate like PB BLASTER, wd40. All bolts are reached from bottom. Wear goggles not safety glasses as dirt and such will... will get in your eyes.
Posted via Mobile Device
LVPhotos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
jdl71

They're sort of a carriage bolt with the washer on top of the wood. If the wood is rotten or soft, they're likely just going to slip. Either try to get someone up top to hold them with vise grips, or do what I did and cut them. I tried a few from the bottom with a sawzall, but it wasn't the easiest to get to. I then moved into the bed with and angle grinder, and since I didn't care about what wood was left, just dug in. Not sure what tools you'll have on hand at the bone yard but you might prepare yourself for that.

64 C10

66 K20
jdl71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
HugoV

8 bolts on a long bed. Bring a saws all and you can just cut them and go!
Posted via Mobile Device
HugoV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:27 PM   #5
jchicago

Yeah, thinking a sawsall might be the way to go. Thanks for the help, if anyone has anymore advice please do let me know.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:34 PM   #6
bubbalou65

Hey there. I live in illinois and always lookin for parts. Did u see any other 60-66 trucks at the salvage yard. Or mabe u know of a good gmc hood for sale. I have a chevy hood and want a gmc. Thanks. Congrats on the find. What was the name of the yard if u don't mind.
Posted via Mobile Device
bubbalou65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
jchicago

It's at a scrappers up here in Chicago, kind of found it by luck. Didn't look at the hood too well, when I go back I'll let you know. The rest of the body is pretty mangled, looks like they have been moving it around with a forklift. I know the bed is going to need to be banged back in shape and is missing the tailgate, hoping I can get it cheap. I am snagging the visors, and maybe the seat. Was cold and had others in the car waiting for me, so didn't spend much time there, but I think it may of been a buddy seat. Whoever had it before they wrecked it and scrapped had done some work on it.
Old 01-26-2013, 08:51 PM   #8
jonathan-m

I've taken off two beds, I would highly recommend the saw option if you have a portable one. Getting those carriage bolts off after almost 50 years is a royal pain.
Old 01-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #9
Trsmotrhed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchicago View Post
Yeah, thinking a sawsall might be the way to go. Thanks for the help, if anyone has anymore advice please do let me know.
That's the only way to get most of these old rusted bolts off. That's what I had to use.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=544174
Trsmotrhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 11:22 AM   #10
gabe2000

I would saw off or grind all bolts from top. I used straps and wrap all 4 corners and with engine hoist lift up then push the truck forward and away from the bed. Drive flatbed truck or flat trailer. Then lower it.
Posted via Mobile Device
gabe2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:38 PM   #11
jchicago

My C20 has a flatbed on it now, so that is part of the plan, but the donor is sitting on the hubs, with the back resting on a bunch of scrap wood, looks like its been picked up and moved quite a bit. Going to head there tomorrow after work to grab the visors, parking lights and the seats. Will talk to the yard crew to see what price I can get the bed for and options for pulling and getting it loaded up. May end up not getting it after all depending on what they say. I've seen a few for $3-400, this one would have to save me some money to go through the motions. I underestimated the weight of it before reading here, I figured 2 guys could muscle it on to a truck, doesn't sound like the case anymore.
Old 01-27-2013, 04:13 PM   #12
jonathan-m

Quote:
My C20 has a flatbed on it now, so that is part of the plan, but the donor is sitting on the hubs, with the back resting on a bunch of scrap wood, looks like its been picked up and moved quite a bit. Going to head there tomorrow after work to grab the visors, parking lights and the seats. Will talk to the yard crew to see what price I can get the bed for and options for pulling and getting it loaded up. May end up not getting it after all depending on what they say. I've seen a few for $3-400, this one would have to save me some money to go through the motions. I underestimated the weight of it before reading here, I figured 2 guys could muscle it on to a truck, doesn't sound like the case anymore.
Yeah, you'll need more than two guys for sure. There were three of us moving my bed, and we struggled. If one of the guys hadn't have been as big as a linebacker there's no way we would've gotten that bed moved.
Old 01-27-2013, 08:20 PM   #13
jdl71

I've moved several with just 2 of us, one in each fender well. Wasn't the most ideal situation but it can be done with average to large size fellers.

64 C10

66 K20
Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 PM   #14
C10TN

Had to cut every one of the bolts on my 66 stepside they were so rusted. Just myself and one other guy lifted it off but it was a struggle. Save your back... get 3 or 4 guys.
Old 01-29-2013, 10:42 PM   #15
jchicago

Decided to pass on the bed, they wanted 250, and it was missing the tailgate and the logistics didn't help either. Did grab a battery tray to replace mine that is corroded out, both visors, front turn signal bezels, and 2 aftermarket steering wheels.

Might go back when its not raining, and pull those white lenses and the components to restore the 3 on the tree.
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2013, 01:35 PM   #16
valero

whatsup j. i'm in chicago as well, man. got a 63 c20 that im doing a frame swap to a half ton and i might not need some things. you in the city or burbs?
valero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #17
jchicago

In the city, Bridgeport. How about yourself?

Let me know if you have some things you are looking to unload. I may or may not need them, mine is pretty complete as far as I know, except for needing a long bed and rear bumper. But guess there is a lot of small things that I'm missing or should swap for better condition parts. I need a lot of non mechanical stuff redone, like carpeting and the bench rebuilt. Plan on getting busy this spring/summer on the interior and redo the wiring.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #18
jdl71

I'd try to pick up that grill if you can get it for a decent price. Even if you don't need it, it could be resold. The GMC grilles are not as easy to find and that one appears to be in pretty good shape.

64 C10

66 K20
Old 01-31-2013, 12:55 PM   #19
valero

Quote:
In the city, Bridgeport. How about yourself?

Let me know if you have some things you are looking to unload. I may or may not need them, mine is pretty complete as far as I know, except for needing a long bed and rear bumper. But guess there is a lot of small things that I'm missing or should swap for better condition parts. I need a lot of non mechanical stuff redone, like carpeting and the bench rebuilt. Plan on getting busy this spring/summer on the interior and redo the wiring.
right on. im in logan square. i might have some stuff, but im pretty much in the same boat as you. honestly, aside from swapping the rolling frames out, my plan is pretty much the exact same for the spring, lol. just gotta do some planning...mechanically AND financially, hah. also gonna be workin on the welding skills too. just got a new millermatic MIG. hopefully I can get some good use out of it sooner than later!
Posted via Mobile Device
valero is offline   Reply With Quote