The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-29-2013, 02:03 PM   #1
54blackhornet

67-72 Pickups in Historical Photographs

I came across this photo while doing some research about the late Tiny Lund. For those who are not familiar with the name, he was a stock car driver who won the 1963 Daytona 500. The nick name came about because "Tiny" was a real big guy, but gentile as a lamb ! He was not supposed to run the 500 that year, but Marvin Panch was involved in a bad crash during speed weeks and could not race. In fact it was Tiny that saved Panches life by lifting the Maserati off its roof ! The sports car had gull wing doors and Marvin could not get out as the car started to burn. Only with Tiny's strength and the actions of others did Panch survive the accident. Afterwards Tiny was awarded the Carnegie award for Valor.
Later in the hospital Panch suggested that Lund take over his car in the 500, and he proceeded to run away with the win, while making one less stop for fuel then any one else. It all ended for Tiny at Talladaga in 75 during another wreck involving fire. The photo is one of the aftermath. In a short span the motor sport community lost Glen "Fireball" Roberts, Lund, Eddie Sacks, Dave McDonald all to cockpit fires. Fireproof driving suits and fuel cell technology improvements mandated after Tiny's death made racing a lot safer for all. If you have a photo of one of our trucks in an interesting setting, lets see them ?
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #2
b.eddy's72

Re: 67-72 Pickups in Historical Photographs

Thats a cool pic, be really cool hanging on the wall in a shop. I have a pic of me and my mom in front of my 72 from back in like 85. I was 10.

Ya must have been movin cause I was haulin a*$ when I passed you
b.eddy's72 is offline   Reply With Quote