The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 AM   #1
kingplinker

About to take off in to space or ?-FAST Idle..

Hello. I am new here - I have found LOTS of help while waiting to be confirmed to join... but still wanted to ask you guys a question.

I recently got a 1986 Chevy Custom Deluxe 30, 1 Ton, 4x4. I have a '74 flatbed, and a '79 farm truck, but this one is ALL different ALL over... Plus I am just a tinkerer, not a mechanic.

My questions (I have 2) is, this truck say for year or so - It needs a fuel pump, and that may be my problem, but if I pour gas in carb, or put gravity feed gas on it, this thing idles SO FAST it sounds like it's bout to take off - kinda scary! Runs to fast there is no way to put it in gear.

I have a manual, but there is nothing about a fast idle in there. I can take pics of carb later today. When I got it, the motor was COVERED with Texas Mud Dauber nest... so perhaps I messed something up cleaning it off.

Second, man is that fuel pump hard to get to! There are 500 (well, OK, 2) extra pulleys and tubes in there! Usually a fuel pump is easy to get to -thi sone will take a lot of work.... any tips/advice before I start?
kingplinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:17 AM   #2
rs72z

Re: About to take off in to space or ?-FAST Idle..

If it still has all the factory smog crap on it it's a pain to change the fuel pump.
Pull the aircleaner and look on the passenger side of the carb. That's where the choke mech and fast idle is at. Make sure you dont still have a dirt dauber nest in there hanging the linkage up, if not spray it down good with carb cleaner and see if it frees up the fast idle.

You also may have a vacuum leak with all the smog crap.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

78 ccsb dually
4l60e
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=491551
rs72z is offline   Reply With Quote