The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
Ziegelsteinfaust

Truck Arms Vs 4 link

I have a 74 C20, and want to upgrade it rear suspension at some point down the road. Especially after I figure out which way I want to take my project.

How hard is it to adapt the truck arm to the later chassis, and it worth the headache vs a parallel 4 link? Either set-up would have a long as possible track bar. I figure cost would be the same especially after modding the truck arm to fit. The front suspension will get the re-located A arm for better handling, and what ever in the rear to compliment it.

Current plans is to trim the height of the truck a bit, and level her off. I want to run 255/60 17's front, and 275/60/17's rear. So the trimmed height will be based off final tire height. Which will only be around a 1/3 drop which is what I am figuring now.

I went with a C20 for towing, and bigger brakes. So when I rent a camper to go fishing when my boy gets a little older. I have a higher safety margin.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Truck Arms Vs 4 link

bump
Old 01-31-2013, 02:02 PM   #3
skorpioskorpio

I believe Porterbuilt makes a crossmember to do exactly what you're looking to do.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:29 PM   #4
brad_man_72
the boat guy

It doesn't sound like you're building an autocross or drag truck, so what's wrong with leaf springs?
For me neither would be worth the hassle.....
Truck arms are great at locating a rear end and can have a nice ride. 4 link would take less space and offer more adjustability.
Posted via Mobile Device
66, stevens drag/ski 18' silouette, 350, 2.02 doublehump heads. comp extreme marine 278 cam, vette 7 fin valve covers, old polished edelbrock intake, velvetdrive, casale v-drive, adj cavitation plate.
28, model a rpu project,
brad_man_72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

I plan to take the truck fishing alot, and I don't want to get tossed around the road like you can by the leaf springs. Plus I wouldn't mind taking it down the old desert roads I used to go down when I was younger. My friend had a 66 C10 with truck arms, and compared to my C10 it rode like a Cadillac.

Plus even we both had 2wd he could go places where I got high centered by the leafs. Mind you both had bfg radial TA's, and were set up for street driving.