The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Closed Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #1
Sharps40
Account Suspended

Ol John Lee Update

Sorry for not postin up in a while but me and Ol John Lee ain't been dooin much but drivin with little worries and no maintenance.

About a thousand miles down since Christmass repairs and upgrades and we can report as follows.

The dual mastercylinder swap with all new hardlines and wheel clinders is a complete success. There are no leaks, no weeping at the cylinders and this ol boy stops straight and true. I believe the next time the wheels come off it'll be for rotation or shoes but that job appears to be "down the road" a bit.

The front suspension rebuild can't be counted as anything less than an awesome change from sloppy to comfortable to drive. Only thing I'd do different on that job is to get the alignment within hours of finishing the work instead of several weeks. The alignment was the final tweek that took the suspension and driveability from good to just great.

The intake seal replacement combined with fixing the leak at the oil cannister and front mains have near totally eliminated the flood of oil. Still a drop or two each day from the rear main seal but that job is so time consumeing with the engine in I suspect we're bound to ignore those drops untill the engine is replaced.

I suppose the next step is the engine. Would love to do the trans at the same time but I think its power pack right quick with trans in mid summer and the rear towards the fall. After that, its all about the driving and I can spiff up the interior of the cab...but leave all that great ol patina on the outside alone. If it happens this summer, I think I can call the rolling stock 90% (the other 10% being the simple tweaking that we all do on weekends for fun) and this'll be a for sure daily driver for years to come.

Overall, this first year and 13K miles together has been a fantastic trip and I look back and love every minute, every skinned knuckle and broken bolt. Mark us down as motorin on! See ya soon.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:58 PM   #2
duallyjams

Re: Ol John Lee Update

motor on

63 GMC V6 4speed carryall
65 chevy swb bbw V8 auto
68 K20 327/4 speed, buddy buckets
2002 GMC CC Dually Duramax

64 GMC lwb 3/4 V6 4speed SOLD
66 GMC swb bbw buddy buckets SOLD

IG duallyjams

The only thing that stays the same is constant change!
Old 01-31-2013, 12:28 AM   #3
HugoV

I love your updates and write ups, they have been very helpful to me! Keep it up! And thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 01-31-2013, 02:30 AM   #4
pestwagon

your front end post got me motivated to start on my 64's front end...Thanks!
Closed Thread