The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #1
gmcnorton

should i buy it ????

i have a chance to buy a 76 suburban rolling body. was a 454 auto . 2 wheel drive. body very clean & straight, & complete. looking to maybe part out. just wondering what you all think?
Old 02-02-2013, 03:20 PM   #2
meatwagon83

Re: should i buy it ????

wieght rating? what kind of condition is it in? price? doesnt it say in your sig you want a suburban? i guess you kinda answered your own question
meatwagon83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
gmcnorton

pictures look to very good condition.

the suburban i want is 67-72 style
Old 02-03-2013, 01:03 AM   #4
79 silverado
Account Suspended

As regards the "part it out" idea... Burbs bring less money parted out than any other square body truck. Few are being restored, and the demand for most of the sheetmetal doesn't bring the return pickup parts would. Front clip fits anything so that has some value, but, needs to be rustfree and undented. Couple hundred bucks there if it is nice. Front doors, same story, maybe $100 each complete in good shape these days. Middle doors are only good to crew cab guys and burb guys. On the one hand rust free ones can be harder to find, but, not a great number of guys looking. Maybe $250/pair in great shape. As far as the rear goes, quarters not a high demand for, and the tailgate is burb-unique. Not the same as a blazer/jimmy one, so, need to find a suburban guy who wanted it.

You might think buckets up front bring a big price, but, use different mounts and such unique to a pickup truck so you don't have everything there to retrofit them in. Even in mint shape, maybe 150/pair if you take the time to sell them.

If its clean and straight it'd be better off as a builder for a guy actually wanting a burb. Cant see too much point in buying a clean roller to part since the $$$ isn't really there... only time it usually makes sense to buy and part is buying a runner and using the drivetrain, then part the rest to get something back
79 silverado is offline   Reply With Quote