The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Suspension

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2013, 02:19 PM   #1
Reyals Bemus

Rear swaybar advice

Just sat myself down and went through all 63 pages of the 'Make it handle' thread by Rob. What a beast of a thread!

I have a '64 C10 panel truck. Short wheelbase, small block, lowered 4" all around (2.5" drop spindles + 1.5" shorter springs up front, 4" drop springs out back). I have a new factory-style 1 1/4" front swaybar from ECE that has not been installed yet. I'm hoping you guys can chime in on what size & type (even specific vendors' products) of rear swaybar that would be best for my truck.

I'm inclined to believe that these panel trucks have better front to rear weight balance than your typical pickup. With that in mind, does a smaller bar makes sense? I'm not totally sure what the relationship between the front and rear swaybar is, but it seems that Rob highly encourages you to run both. Interestingly, I've heard that the folks at ECE apparently don't recommend a rear swaybar. Not sure what their reasons are though.

The truck is being built for daily driver street duty. No autocrossing or anything like that. I will occasionally tow 3500lbs or so. I just want the handling to feel tight & positive.

Let me know what you guys think!

Matt
Reyals Bemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Rear swaybar advice

Anyone?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
Portmod7

I would say you need a larger rear bar with a panel truck, all the extra weight is up high and has a lot of leverage to roll the body.

Also, I know most of the panhard bar kits don't really get it up very high, but the higher you mount the panhard, the more it will help fight the body roll too.
Old 02-05-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
fastbagged68

I got a 1-1/4" splined rear sway bar from speedway engineering. I put a sleeve through my trailing arms and mount the arms to the frame. My Burban handles pretty damn good for what it is.
Posted via Mobile Device
fastbagged68 is offline   Reply With Quote