The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
chip46wis

Need frame alternative 55 2nd series

Well Im back after 1 1/2 years---sold the 69 stepside and bought a 56 stepside.Overall not bad except for the frame,it was clipped in front and butchered in the rear.I didnt have much of a chance to inspect it before buying and now at home with the cab off the modded frame is beyond repair.
What frame with mods will work? Im pretty sure the S10 is too narrow. I have heard a 73-87 frame may be the best best working around the kickup in the rear of the frame.Im not worried about lowering as much as I am concerned with safety.
Anyone speaking from experience with this please help. Thanks in advance Chip
chip46wis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #2
thump16

Re: Need frame alternative 55 2nd series

Myself and a few others are running the new porterbuilt suspension set ups. The front is 100% bolt on as well as the rea check out the PB site.
[size=1]Posted via Mobile Device[/size
thump16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
chip46wis

OK---appreciate the up here very much----I feel my frame is beyond repair with the back half cut off and stacked not fitted together---it may not even be a 56 rear frame-----anyone else running a 73-87 frame? Again THANK YOU! Chip
Old 02-03-2013, 11:10 PM   #4
98layinframe

Yeah the 73-87 c10 frame would be a nice choice. Plus width the large aftermarket of parts avalible is a major plus.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #5
dubie

The 73-87 has a wider track width and a longer wheel base than the 55-59 frames. My 56 came to me on an 81 frame,it's just not a good fit. I bought a whole 56 from the local wrecker for 300 bucks and used an original frame
Posted via Mobile Device

My 56 Chevy shop truck build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=562795
dubie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #6
dirtracer81_2

Yeah im using a 73-87 frame because mind is a 3/4 ton. From what i measured its only about two inches longer. I've read you can redrill the perches. The research i have done the front track with some look much better than others. I plan running skinnies up front. and Cameron rear to get the rear inside the fenders. Ezchassis makes a kit but its about $800 im going o try it first probaly regret it haha. Id like to see some pictures of what out actually get with the kit.
Posted via Mobile Device
dirtracer81_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:43 PM   #7
Amorget

Just find another stock frame and go from there. Last swap meet I was at there were 2 for sale for not much more than scrap price.
Amorget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #8
mr48chev

I'd go along with getting another stock frame.

If the budget allows I'd go with one of the proven kits from Porterbuilt or Scotts or Heidts or one of the other suspension builders.

If the budget was unlimited I'd look into a compete chassis from Morrison but very few budgets allow for that so I'm not even going to suggest it except to mention it.

If you budget is like mine which is somewhere just above slim and none I'd look into the Jag XJ 6 suspensions that guys are swapping depending on the availability of Jags in the local wrecking yards or through Craigslist or other sources. They never seem to make the local wrecking yards here so I'd have to drive 150 miles to get one. There are some threads around on installing them and I think they might be way to have a good independent suspension under a Task Force truck without killing the build kitty in one shot.

There is also sorting though what you can use off the chassis you have and save a few bucks. Can you use the rear axle and rear springs over? That could save a few bucks before you haul the hacked up frame to the scrap yard to replenish the build kitty a bit. You might also be able to strip the subframe or just cut it off the frame and sell it to someone who wants the A arms and spindles if you don't use them or the rotors or calipers. Everything you can sell helps pay for what you need.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 04:21 PM   #9
danheit

I was using a stock frame from a 90 GMC 1500. It was about 2inches longer wheelbase as earlier stated, but I took that space up between the cab and bed with 1", and then offset the wheels in the wheel wells about a half inch each. Can't even tell. Also, if you do it right, you can get by without having to make new body mounts (I didn't do this, but wish I did). The 90 frame is the same width as the cab between the steps, so the cab sits right down on top of the frame rails. Add poly bushings and redrill the mounting holes and you are good to go. Only reason I didn't was not wanting to relocate the 90's fuel tank, which runs partially under the cab. Instead I raised the cab off the frame with custom mounts that fit the stock locations, and still ended up with the bottom of the step below the frame rails. This offers power steering, IFS, good rear end, disc brakes, and if you can do all this with a complete truck and just swap bodies, you end up with a great drivetrain to boot!
1979 Jeep CJ7 - Build date on the day I was born! -Keeper
2004 Expedition - Family Hauler
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
oldfarmboy64

Hey chip46wi I sent you a PM I live in WI and maybe able to help.
Steve
oldfarmboy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:34 PM   #11
dubie

Here is mine sitting on an 81 chassis when it came to me. If you plan on lowering it at all, this isn't the frame for you. The turning radius causes a lot of tire rub up front, no matter what tire you use. I spoke with a few guys that had done this swap and regretted putting the time and money into it. The EZ chassis swap kit is a very high quality kit, I looked into it, but I wanted to tuck the tires into the fenders and drive this truck everywhere and I couldn't do that on the 73-87 frame. I'll also include a few pics of trucks done and mounted on this chassis. It would make a great riding and handling truck if you want to leave it at a stock ride height
Attached Images

Old 02-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #12
oldfarmboy64

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubie View Post
Here is mine sitting on an 81 chassis when it came to me. If you plan on lowering it at all, this isn't the frame for you. The turning radius causes a lot of tire rub up front, no matter what tire you use. I spoke with a few guys that had done this swap and regretted putting the time and money into it. The EZ chassis swap kit is a very high quality kit, I looked into it, but I wanted to tuck the tires into the fenders and drive this truck everywhere and I couldn't do that on the 73-87 frame. I'll also include a few pics of trucks done and mounted on this chassis. It would make a great riding and handling truck if you want to leave it at a stock ride height
Was your truck lowered with drop spindles or by shortening the springs?
Thanks Steve
oldfarmboy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 11:46 PM   #13
dirtracer81_2

That top picture looks plum goofy. The bottom red one is the stance im after. looks great
Posted via Mobile Device
dirtracer81_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:47 AM   #14
chip46wis

WOW! thanks for all the responses----many good ideas and suggestions----Danheit I like the idea of the 91 I may have to dig deeper and pm you with a couple questions... THANK YOU ALL!!!!!!!!
Old 02-05-2013, 12:22 PM   #15
dubie

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtracer81_2 View Post
That top picture looks plum goofy. The bottom red one is the stance im after. looks great
Posted via Mobile Device
The top one is my truck. That's how the body sits on the 81 frame without cutting or moving anything. Once you mount it on this frame you have to lower it with spindles and coils to bring it a nice level. It just wasn't going to be low enough for my liking.

Check this link. Another member used an 88 short bed chassis under his fleetside and it turned out nice

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=398361&page=3

Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #16
unclebucks06

I have a brand new ezchassis kit that I would sell for a little less than MSRP.

I mocked my suburban on the frame, but like said above you can't get a low stance which is what I wanted.

Feel free to contact me unclebucks06@yahoo.com

The kit is of very nice quality and construction.
unclebucks06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:53 PM   #17
_Ogre

i too vote that you get a stock frame and modify it.
cheaper and faster in the long run in my opinion

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote