The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #1
rs74

Do LMC fuel and brake lines fit good.

I am thinking about taking my truck down to the frame and having it blasted and repainted. The drivers rear brake line needs to be replaced so I am thinking about just buying all the lines. It is either that or just blast up to and around them then paint.
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:17 PM   #2
J Knight

Re: Do LMC fuel and brake lines fit good.

I havent bought any brake lines from LMC but 95% of everything everyone here has bought from LMC is garbage and doesnt fit but 100% of everthing I personaly have bought from LMC fits.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:19 AM   #3
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

I read up on LMC lines and didn't like what I saw so I did a little more research and came up with a company in Buffalo NY that makes lines (brake) for our trucks. The difference is thier lines are stainless steel. All the hardware attached to the lines is also stainless, nuts and wirewraping. They are exactly factory and fit like a glove. Downside is cost. All the lines as a complete kit is near $300. I figured I was replacing rusted lines every few years and I intend to keep this truck till I croak, I'll spend the money. All the lines went right in (thiey ship the long lines bent in half and you have to unbend them, no big deal there cause they tape mark where to do it) The only line you will have trouble with is the right front, working it thru the motor mount bracket and out thru the frame. When I finished I put new wheel cylinders in and calipers and used DOT 5 silicone fluid. Lots better than DOT3, won't hurt the paint, won't absorb water and it's a better lubricant. It's a little thicker, so the pedal will feel different. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:39 AM   #4
57ToyBox

Quote:
Originally Posted by rs74 View Post
I am thinking about taking my truck down to the frame and having it blasted and repainted. The drivers rear brake line needs to be replaced so I am thinking about just buying all the lines. It is either that or just blast up to and around them then paint.

I'm doing the same with my 87 4x4
All my steel lines could stand to be replaced. I've decided to make my own.
This way I know they're gonna fit.
I've bought precut and molded lines online before. You still end up molding them to fit anyways.
57ToyBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 01:14 PM   #5
chrismoore701

I made my own, just set them next to the old and bent myself. not that hard and a hell of a lot cheaper than buying prebent. Did not take very long to complete. just get a decent bender and flare tool

Chris
2018 Chevy Silverado, 39 years apart
My build 2008-2016. http://m.imgur.com/a/bURrE
chrismoore701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
chris989

My experience with LMC is that almost everything i bought needed a little help

Radiator hoses- lower= good, upper not even close.
fan shroud - needed holes drilled to mount.
turn signal lever- not even close, threw it away.
striker bolts- had to taper and re-die the threads.
driver side battery tray- had to modify to bolt up
battery hold down bolt- too short
hold down plastic wedge - good.
radiator mounts and rubber - good

to surmise;
If it truly counts, I would not recommend LMC (safety type items)

If it is fluff - knobs, trim, small accessories you can find elsewhere i feel it is ok.

I stopped buying from them because most items did not fit well or were of substandard quality. But in defense of LMC, most everything for sale now is substandard junk from China.

Chris
chris989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
rs74

I think I might just buy from summit and hope for the best. They sell parts from "right stuff detailing". I had to end up cutting the line that goes into the RR wheel cylinder tonight to get the wheel cylinder off. I was undecided whether or not to replace them but now I might as well.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote