The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-08-2013, 04:52 AM   #1
Russ.W.

Inline 6 (250) Starter compatibility ???

G'day all ... I need to get a new starter for my recently acquired 250, but am having a hard time pinning down what's what. For reference, vehicle is a 250 with 3 speed manual.

Being in Australia, and the 250 not being used in any production car down here, I can't just walk into the local parts store as they won't have one.

As I understand it, there are 3 different mounting possibilities? 3 bolt, 2 bolt, and 2 bolt staggered. Is that correct? This is the first time I've seen a 250 in the flesh, so I'm only going by what I've read doing searches here over the past few hours.

My starter is the 3 bolt into the bell-housing, like this: (image jacked from this post here, as mine is filthy)

The only places I can find that sell these new (not re-manufactured), are eBay sellers DB Electrical, as well as Discount Starters & Alternators.

Does anybody have any experience with either sellers or the product? Are they really new or also re-manufactured? Quality or junk?

On to the next part of the query .. for the starters that don't mount like the above, but mount to the block, I understand that not all inline blocks are drilled for them - correct?

Does anybody have an image of that area of the block without the starter attached, showing the holes required and their location?

I got under my car and had a quick look, but can't see much with the old starter still on (plus it's a complete mess under there), and I can't get back to it until Monday. I did manage to snap off a quick iPhone pic - is this one of the required holes for the different mount starters?

If so, I'm looking at the AC Delco 3371015, but there's no mention of it being for Auto or Manual. Can anybody confirm either way?

If it's no the right part, can anybody jot down what part number I should be looking for?

Sorry for the long windedness. I've been reading posts on the subject for over 4 hours straight, going around in circles with no clear result - and at this point my eyes are swimming.

Thanks for your time.

Cheers,
Russ
Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
Wrenchbender Ret

Re: Inline 6 (250) Starter compatibility ???

You have the 3 bolt mounting. You must use the same type. The one you have is a heavy duty starter. Have you thought about rebuilding it yourself? they are easy to do. Or if you find a salvage with the 2 hole verticle bolt mounting, you can put your drive end houseing on it.
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:08 PM   #3
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Save the nose.That style is even getting hard to find in the US.The starter is the same as the other style but the nose needs to be what you have.A new bushing in the noose and bolt it to a new starter and you should be good to go.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
pritch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
Have you thought about rebuilding it yourself? they are easy to do.
X2^

Easy and cheap, too. I think I paid $12 or so for new brushes and bushings last time, a year or so ago.
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #5
Russ.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchbender Ret View Post
You have the 3 bolt mounting. You must use the same type. The one you have is a heavy duty starter. Have you thought about rebuilding it yourself? they are easy to do. Or if you find a salvage with the 2 hole verticle bolt mounting, you can put your drive end houseing on it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PanelDeland View Post
Save the nose.That style is even getting hard to find in the US.The starter is the same as the other style but the nose needs to be what you have.A new bushing in the noose and bolt it to a new starter and you should be good to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pritch View Post
X2^

Easy and cheap, too. I think I paid $12 or so for new brushes and bushings last time, a year or so ago.

I appreciate the input, Gents. Thanks. I do plan on rebuilding it, but I've never opened one up before so it may take a little time to go over it a few times and understand what I'm looking at.

I have to be able to buy something now as I need the car to move under it's own power for a day, to get it out of the way. once it's out of the way, I can take all the time I need.

I got the old starter off today and noticed it does have the 2 threaded holes up into the block.

Wouldn't that mean I can use something like the Powermaster Torque starter's? The bolts go vertically into the block as apposed to horizontally into the bell-housing.

Russ.W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #6
pritch

That's the same kind as on my 292. Kinda hard to see in this picture, though. 2 bolts, straight across.

Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:10 PM   #7
overhaulin

So, can you use a inline bolt pattern starter normally used in a small block Chevy?
overhaulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 02:29 PM   #8
truckster

I have used DB electrical products, both starters and alternators, and have absolutely no complaints.
Old 10-05-2020, 06:08 PM   #9
Luvlegs

If you just need to move it, can you get it rolling and "pop" the clutch? (Make sure the key is in the on position AND that you have enough room to get it rolling).

Wear your PPE! You can eat with false teeth but you can't see with a false eye.

1959 Studebaker Silverhawk 350/400
1972 C10 L6 3OTT
2005 F350 - Built - whew!
Luvlegs is offline   Reply With Quote