The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-10-2013, 05:52 PM   #1
Peepaw

'72 C-10, 402, is there a way to tell....

..what day my truck was made? I have got a manufactures date of 5/72, but was curious if there was a way to tell what day it was actually made on? I wasn't sure if Chevy's records got THAT specific, to be able to tell the exact day a truck was assembled, but figured you guys would know one way or the other.

The truck in question is:
1972 Chevy C-10 Manufactured 5/72 GVWR 5400
VIN CCE142A166054
W/Base 127
Model CE10934
C60 4 season air condition
J70 Hydro Brake Booster
M49 Turbo Hydra Matic
U37 Cigarette Lighter
525 Light Yellow
A11 Tinted Glass
G50 Heavy Rear Springs
L47 400 CID V-8 engine
N40 Power Steering
Z53 Amp-Oil-Temp gauge
600 Black Vinyl Trim

I am not overly concerned at value of the truck...in fact, I could care less. I just want to see if there was that way of telling an exact date of production. Obviously narrowed it down to May of '72..
Truck was bought new, in Austin, TX from Henna Chevrolet, and guy I bought it from bought it @ 1996 with 20K original miles on it. So, I'm the third owner, and the 2nd owner went through the truck and made it a very nice truck. Repainted it, new interior. New ball joints, tie rods, shocks, brakes, master cylinder, rebuilt the rear end, added a 3.73 R&P and posi. Yanked motor, punched it .030 freshened it up, blah blah blah.
I am just wanting to find out as much info as I can on the truck.
Thanks guys
Peepaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 PM   #2
jocko

Re: '72 C-10, 402, is there a way to tell....

welcome peepaw, very nice truck (description - pics! pics! pics! ) - I am not aware of any way to narrow it down to actual build date. Some PARTS might be that specific, but not overall truck assembly. For example, the Q-jet casting ID should have a julian date on it - but don't mistake that for the truck's build date - you could, however, be assured (if the carb is original, for example), that your truck's build date occurred AFTER that julian date, that's all. If there are other specific-date coded items on the truck, you could start bracketing it and do the math and narrow it down a bit by luck of the parts draw. The Q-jet is the only part off the top of my head that has this specific info, but am sure there may be other specific date coded parts.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:11 PM   #3
WIDESIDE72

OK, not "worthless", but I want to see it!
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:16 PM   #4
WIDESIDE72

I ESPECIALLY want to see it, as it may be a truck my brother owned, judging by the SPID and the dates of ownership and mileage mentioned above. Is it Corvette/ Chrome yellow now? If so, I turned a lot of wrenches on it back in the 90's. My brother and I replaced the right inner fender and fender with oem parts from... you guessed it... Henna Chevrolet. We might also have replaced the radiator support...
Old 02-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #5
yote1234

welcome to the board! if it will help any mine was born mid feb 72 with vin seq #1424xx
1968 Honda mini-trail z50a #377
1966 uh 1-D Huey
yote1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #6
Peepaw

OK guys, thanks for the replies, and here is a little more info:

The heads have been replaced with the 063 castings, and currently houses an Edelbrock Performer RPM, 3310 750 Vac Sec carb, hooker headers, Comp cam 218/224 .500/.500, crane roller rockers, 3/8 pushrods, comp lifters
Turbo 400, 11" Hughes Converter. Tilton starter, aluminum water pump, MSD 6A, MSD Billet Dist, Coil and wires. Truck ran a 14.2 @ 102 with a horrible 2.3 60'

Truck has been in storage last 5+ years, so needs some TLC. I have a rocker panel I have to replace...couple quarter size spots in lower doors. So, she's not perfect, by any means, but it's a nice driver, my kids love it (I think they like the General Lee Horn the most, LOL!!!!)
Oh, spray in bed liner, etc...

If you guys can tell me how to post up pics, I would be all too happy to for you....I am not what they call "computer literate", LOL!!!

OH, but the block is original to the truck...

Last edited by Peepaw; 02-10-2013 at 06:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #7
Peepaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
I ESPECIALLY want to see it, as it may be a truck my brother owned, judging by the SPID and the dates of ownership and mileage mentioned above. Is it Corvette/ Chrome yellow now? If so, I turned a lot of wrenches on it back in the 90's. My brother and I replaced the right inner fender and fender with oem parts from... you guessed it... Henna Chevrolet. We might also have replaced the radiator support...

Well, guy I bought it from, is a friend of mine, and like I said, he bought it in mid 90's from guy in Austin. My friend...well, until we can find out more, I will give you his initials...how's that? R.M.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
jocko

To post pictures, use the "Post Reply" button on the LEFT side of the screen - or - select "Go Advanced" if entering a reply in the message box at the bottom of a screen. From there, click the paper clip on the top of the post entry box and it will allow you to browse for pics on your computer and include up to 5 per post.
Old 02-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #9
TBONE1964
Cluster King

If it helps any, I found this date on my build sheet. It is 02-21-72. I am not sure if this is the day it rolled off the line or when the document was created.

Of course without the build sheet you would have to narrow it down like Jocko has suggested.
Attached Images

TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #10
Peepaw

Fantastic guys...walking into little league meeting....I'll get some pics up after the meeting
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #11
jocko

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBONE1964 View Post
If it helps any, I found this date on my build sheet. It is 02-21-72. I am not sure if this is the day it rolled off the line or when the document was created.

Of course without the build sheet you would have to narrow it down like Jocko has suggested.
Actually, I forgot about the build sheet! That does narrow it down quite a bit - I'm not sure what "sched" date means... Scheduled for what? Delivery? Completion? Start of the assembly line? But it had to be printed before the truck began assembly. Interesting!
Old 02-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepaw View Post
Well, guy I bought it from, is a friend of mine, and like I said, he bought it in mid 90's from guy in Austin. My friend...well, until we can find out more, I will give you his initials...how's that? R.M.
My brother would have been the guy he bought it from in the mid 90's.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
WIDESIDE72

Photos yet? The suspense is killing me!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
SS Tim

The broadcast sheet (aka build sheet) is going to be the closest date. As stated it was a scheduled build start date, but generally pretty close most of the time as I understand. Being as yours is an Atlanta there was likely never a sheet in your truck beyond maybe dealer delivery.
Date coded parts might help but the lead times from vendors were so variable it would at best be a guess unless you knew the truck to be completely stock.
If everyone that had a close (4,5&6/72) 72 Alanta truck gave us their serial nuber and the build date on the blue door tag we might be able to weight it toward early or late May. For what it is worth your's is the highest 72 Atlanta serial number I have/remember seeing.
Attached Images

SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2013, 11:14 PM   #15
70cst

Hey Peepaw ...

First of all to the fourms and from Ohio.

Check out the LINK below and you will get a lot of information.

1967-1972 VIN Number Codes

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/Chevyear.html

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 12:04 AM   #16
ole dollor

another welcome from a fellow Texan...
ole dollor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #17
Peepaw

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device

WELL HELL YEAH THEN!!!!! It's a small world after all, it's a small world after all, it's a.....
Old 02-11-2013, 11:22 AM   #18
Peepaw

Quote:
Photos yet? The suspense is killing me!
Posted via Mobile Device

GUys, Im sorry...got home LATE from that baseball meeting. Brought laptop to work this morning, was gonna post up pics for you all, BUT, I forgot the cable that attaches my camera to laptop!!!!

However, I DO have pics on my cell phone and I can send some pics to someone, if they want to post those up (even have a video picking kids up from school and them sounding the general lee horn!!!)

So, if someone wants pics earlier than @ 4:00 today, PM me your cell phone number, and I will be all too happy to send pics to it. If no one likes that route...then @ 4:00 today, I WILL post pics for you guys.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:26 AM   #19
Peepaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
The broadcast sheet (aka build sheet) is going to be the closest date. As stated it was a scheduled build start date, but generally pretty close most of the time as I understand. Being as yours is an Atlanta there was likely never a sheet in your truck beyond maybe dealer delivery.
Date coded parts might help but the lead times from vendors were so variable it would at best be a guess unless you knew the truck to be completely stock.
If everyone that had a close (4,5&6/72) 72 Alanta truck gave us their serial nuber and the build date on the blue door tag we might be able to weight it toward early or late May. For what it is worth your's is the highest 72 Atlanta serial number I have/remember seeing.

Atlanta? My truck, or the guy with build sheet?

Speaking of, on my Mopars, build sheets under seat bottom cushions...same on the C-10? I am not holding my breath, as I am sure mine is LONG gone. Interior was gone trough about dozen years ago, including bench seat. So....
Old 02-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #20
Peepaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70cst View Post
Hey Peepaw ...

First of all to the fourms and from Ohio.

Check out the LINK below and you will get a lot of information.

1967-1972 VIN Number Codes

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/Chevyear.html

Well, thank you sir! I've got family up close to you (Indiana and Michigan), and I was up there for Christmas to visit family.
I will check out the link you provided...again, many thanks!
Old 02-11-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
Peepaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by ole dollor View Post
another welcome from a fellow Texan...

Thanks for the kind welcome. I have been in Texas all my life, but as I get older, not sure how much longer I can take the summers. I work in my shop, and summers are killing me . Up until around 5 years ago, I actually LIKED the summers...must be the old age creeping in.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:43 AM   #22
Peepaw

Quote:
Posted via Mobile Device

I want to add some info for you to your Brother's truck. Since my friend bought it, it has been in good hands.
Sure, there were MANY MANY MANY nights, where Top Fuel burnouts and Dukes of Hazzard were inflicted upon Old Yeller, but she was always well maintained.
Motor came out in 2002..give or take. ARP main studs and rod bolts were added, TRW flat tops and the whole works balanced. Compression checks in @ 9.5:1. 063 castings were added, ported, valve job, Manley SS 2.19 and 1.88 valves added. Edelbrock Performer RPM, 750, MSd, blah blah blah. Turbo 400 built, 11" Hughes converter, rear end rebuilt, 3.73, posi. AC system gone through, and converted to R134. Thumping sound system. New carpet. Door panels. Weather stripping. Head lights. Spray in bed liner. Exhaust system. New front end (ball joints, tie rods, shocks, etc...) New master cylinder, rotors, calipers, pads, etc..Had truck repainted.
My friend spent small fortune on the truck.
Was used as a daily driver for a few years, until his commute became a lot further, and then he got married, bought house, no garage. Had kids. So, truck got put away 5 or 6 or 7 years ago into storage, where it has sat, for the most part, in hibernation. Occassionaly she was brought out for joy ride, but maybe 100 miles over last 5+ years has been placed on her. Odometer showing 80K.

Truck has some rust in the rockers, and lower doors, and up top along roof line. But no serious cancer to speak of. He had bought one new rocker, which I am going to put on, but I need to pick up another one as well. If I am going to do one, might as well do both.
The truck will be driven from my shop to home occasionally, pick kids up from school in it, taken to the track to see if we can't improve quite a bit on that 14.2 she ran 10 years ago.
Plans call for bigger cam (convert over to a roller), single plane intake, and 850 4150.

When my friend said he was finally selling it (got tired of the $170 a MONTH for storage last 5-7 years), he knew to call me. I told him dozen years ago, if he EVER sold it, I wanted it. Dozen years later, I have it.
Truck is in good hands, again.
Old 02-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #23
SS Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peepaw View Post
Atlanta? My truck, or the guy with build sheet?

Speaking of, on my Mopars, build sheets under seat bottom cushions...same on the C-10? I am not holding my breath, as I am sure mine is LONG gone. Interior was gone trough about dozen years ago, including bench seat. So....
Your truck was built at the Atlanta,GA (A) assembly plant. Build sheets are most often found in Fremont,CA (Z) assembled trucks. Like I said before it is most unlikely there ever was or is a build sheet anywhere in your truck. If you find one buy a lottery ticket.

Last edited by SS Tim; 02-11-2013 at 11:59 AM.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 02:23 PM   #24
Peepaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Your truck was built at the Atlanta,GA (A) assembly plant. Build sheets are most often found in Fremont,CA (Z) assembled trucks. Like I said before it is most unlikely there ever was or is a build sheet anywhere in your truck. If you find one buy a lottery ticket.

Roger that. This is actually my first go round with ANY vehicle with a BBC in it.

I've made the Mopar (still my 1st TRUE love), the SBF, the SBC, and the LSx rounds (even managed to squeeze in a 287 Pontiac) over the years, but no real experience with the BBC. So, been doing some homework on it over at Hot Rodders . com, and they really didn't "specialize" in finding build dates and such on my truck, and is how I came across you guys. You type in 67-72 Chevy on Google, and this site pops up top.

I am excited about the truck, and as many crazy things about it is, I am NOT a fan of Yellow vehicles. However, from day one, when I laid eye's on this truck some 12-15 years ago for the 1st time, it just "worked" on this truck. If weather holds out, I am taking her to the strip on Friday to see what she can do.

I am also going to try and swap over to a serpentine belt setup before Friday, but we will shall see how it goes.
Old 02-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #25
Peepaw

Well this is rather interesting. I followed link above, and according to my VIN, my truck is a 1972 model of course.
If you follow the Model # from glove box, it calls it s a '69. Says 5th number in model number (mine is CE10934), the 9 is the 5th #, and wold say it is a '69. So, maybe glovebox got swapped out, or something? Crazy thing is, all the options from Tag on glovebox door, match what my truck has. What are the odds of that?
So, anyone care to share some light on the subject?