The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
c10 custom

wont turn

hi guys i have a 1978 gmc 1 ton truck 350 engine it wont turn over i replaced the starter solenoid but i think its the starter the solenoid just clicked before when you tried to turn it over the lights on the dash come on so im guessing the ignition switch is good and never tried clutch switch any help would be great thank you
c10 custom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Zane M

Re: wont turn

Likely the starter.

On a side note, I always replace them together. I figure you have to drop the starter anyway, and if one or the other is bad, the other part probably doesn't have much life left either.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 09:24 PM   #3
mopar346

First off make sure the engine turns, then I would make sure I am getting 12 volts to the solenoid (make sure the battery is good). I would make sure the drive gear is not binding with the flywheel (loosen the starter bolts temporarily will ensure against binding). After that I would remove the starter and bench test it (warning: Danger Will Robinson) take a set of jumper cables and hook the negative to the starter housing and with your fingers and toes well out of the way of the bendix and drive gear, hook the postive to the battery lug, hook the other end to a battery and then cross the solenoid with a screw driving or remote trigger. It should kick out and spin, if it don't it's bad. Pretty simple system, power and ground makes the starter motor turn if it meshes with the flywheel it will make the engine spin over.

Hope that helps, good luck.
mopar346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #4
bilfman

Dash lights and click could mean a pooched battery, just give it a boost. Might save some time tear apart time.

1971 GMC 3/4 Ton 4X4
bilfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #5
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

check where the gear slides out
seen rust/dirt kept it from coming out properly
if you take it out,
try removing the cap over the solenoid sometimes the contacts can be turned and reused
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 01:34 PM   #6
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

From an OLD time Chevy mechanic. Hook up a booster and try it, no go? OK, whack the starter motor with a hammer while someone turns the key. If it goes, replace the starter assembly or rebuild it yourself. Of course, check all the basics first. Clean and tight cconnections and power to the purple wire at the starter when you turn the key, ect. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2013, 04:12 AM   #7
bigbeardedbastard

also check the wires going to the posts.....i recently changed the solenoid on mine and due to the part being aftermarket the ignition terminal was opposite of the old one.....i was an idiot and instead of testing all the terminals, i ripped apart the dash and column to replace the ignition module that didnt need to be replaced at all. so after a new redtop optima, all new cables and ignition module, it was a simple as switching the terminals lol
bigbeardedbastard is offline   Reply With Quote