The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2013, 07:25 PM   #1
LSUMurse

I Need Coil Spring Education

So, my trucks leans (as posted in a previous thread). I measured from a fixed point on both sides (front and rear) to the ground on a level surface. My front drivers side is 1 inch lower than the passenger and the rear is 3/4 inch lower. So, I am guessing I need to replace the springs all the way around. The truck is a 1968 C10 Custom with a Powerglide and a 307.

Here are my questions:
Do I need any special tools?
Is there any particular brand I should stay away from? (I understand it is an opinion and everyone has one, just like....... well you know.)
Does anyone know where to get a decent quality at a decent price?
Can I go with C20 springs, as I may end up with a slide in camper in this girl?
Are there any good "while I am here" fixes to do at the same time?

I think that covers it. Any other info that y'all may want to add in is appreciated.

If your life is a joke, it appears death will be your punchline.
LSUMurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:40 PM   #2
Lattimer

Re: I Need Coil Spring Education

I've only done the rears, but putting them in is basic hand tools. I did all the rear end bushings while I was at it (track bar and trailing arms). I had already done the shocks.

I got my springs from Early Classic Enterprises. I think they were $115 or something for the pair. I went with 2" lowering springs.

I'll do the front later on, probably in the spring. I'm going to do all the ball joints and tie rod ends at the same time.

I already did shocks, but if your are old I would do them at the same time.

1970 Chevy C-10 SWB, 350, TKO 600 5 speed
My build http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=559881
Lattimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 08:22 PM   #3
TBONE1964
Cluster King

The first thing I would do is take your truck to a frame shop and make absolutely sure the frame is not twisted. No coil spring on the planet can fix that. A twisted frame will make it look like a weak coil on one end.

To answer your question, I would do one end of the truck at a time. Start in the rear, that is the easiest. Depending on your budget, I would replace trailing arm bushings while I had it apart. It is not much more work to get the arms off and have new bushings pressed in.

On the front, Get yourself a good quality spring compressor. I know you will here many people say that spring compressors are a waste of money and time. You can use a floor jack but when it slips out from under the lower control arm with 2,000 lbs of pressure on it and you have no where to run, then you will know what I mean. While you have the front spring out, do the ball joints, upper and lower and also the control arm bushings. Those are parts that require the spring to be compressed to repair and you will only want to do this once.

Good Luck.
TBONE1964 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 11:31 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Use the floor jack if you want.Just throw a chain thru the center of the spring and run a bolt with washers thru the chain where it crosses.Then if it jump,the spring will be restrained.I do agree on replacing the parts listed if needed.They're 40 years old if they haven't already been replaced.Don't be surprised if it still leans.I know most I see do.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote