The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-16-2013, 05:59 PM   #1
Idaho64GMC

Front fender replacements?

I did some searching on here but didn't find the information I was looking for. Was wondering if anyone knows the best place to find front fenders for these pickups? I'm not a huge fan of LMC truck so was hoping to find something besides them. Thanks
Idaho64GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 06:39 PM   #2
Hx16457

Re: Front fender replacements?

Most all aftermarket sheet metal will need some convincing to get it to lay right.
So LMC or Classic parts are just as good as any, I bought mine at a swap meet the guy carried only our truck parts. He has retired now or so I hear!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-16-2013, 08:01 PM   #3
blazins10

i got mine from the truck shop in cali , they fit ok for aftermarket ones
i paid like 175 ea
Old 02-16-2013, 08:23 PM   #4
Idaho64GMC

what about patch panels? I'm curious if i'd have better luck with a patch as far as fit, or if its a bigger pain in the rear to patch than to just replace the whole fender.
Old 02-16-2013, 11:56 PM   #5
blazins10

i would rather patch an oem fender if poss , your gonna have to work
a repop fender to fit some
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-17-2013, 12:34 AM   #6
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

From everything I have seen and read from other members, I would only buy an aftermarket fender as a last resort. There are actually quite a few threads here on aftermarket body parts. I have bought one aftermarket front fender, and I was not at all happy with it. I would much rather repair an original fender.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 12:39 AM   #7
Idaho64GMC

I guess there's a reason the aftermarket fenders are so affordable, sounds like they are basically junk. Think I will end up buying patch panels or maybe making them myself, I appreciate the responses
Old 02-17-2013, 12:46 AM   #8
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Here is one of the threads......

http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=508609
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:58 AM   #9
BLK65K10

As an automotive restorer for a living I have worked with many aftermarket parts and would highly recommend rebuilding your original parts if at all possible. Depending on your skill level and willingness to try, I would make my own patches out of the proper guage of steel instead of using the thin guage patch panels.
BLK65K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 07:38 AM   #10
tincan1966

Bought all of my patch panels thru Top Banana and very pleased. The metal thickness is the same as original and fitment is real good.

Doesn't really matter where you get them from, there's only a couple mfg's of the panels anyway. All you're shopping for at different places is the price.
tincan1966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 08:21 AM   #11
rideblue00

If you can afford it, buy original fenders. The repro floor parts i bought needed too much cutting and welding. Repro rockers need too much fitting also. NOS rockers dont come along very often tho.
rideblue00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 10:33 AM   #12
rossboss

I also bought a floor replacment panel from Top Bannana and was pleased with the thickness as well as the fitment, but can't really speak for thier fenders. It might be worth checking out.
rossboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 01:26 PM   #13
bama63

searched all reviews, not one bad one found.check it out https://autometaldirect.com/ competitive pricing and guaranteed fit 60-66 front fenders 199.00 ea not to bad i ordered some patch panels so we will see
Old 02-17-2013, 02:03 PM   #14
rustbucket66

Before you do anything, read the whole blog that Captainfab has set out for you. I don't think anyone should have to go through the cost, and the grief of using aftermarket body panels like I did. Some guys have had some fairly good luck, but beware. Nobody made this stuff like the General did. Repair or patch your OEM stuff if at all possible.
rustbucket66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #15
Nick Solo

I just bought a NOS set for $1000. I placed "want to buy" ads on Craigslist in 4 north Carolina cities. Sunday night a guy emailed and said he had a pair. He put his phone number in email, I goggled it and several hits from him posting on car forums and some Ebay sales for car parts popped up, so I figured he was legit. Anyway we talked and I picked them up, he lived about 1 hour and 15 minutes away. I also found a set at Dave's Truck parts in Claremont, NC he was firm on $2000 which in my opinion is pretty steep.

I am a new guy here. I bought a real nice 87000 mile truck in July last year. Virtually no rust anywhere with one repaint. The front fenders I guess were the only parts with rust and they were poorly patched. I do metalwork for a living (over 40 years) and figured it would probably be hard to repair these right...I would prefer patching the originals over repros myself.

I have also heard that the reproduction fenders have several different manufacturers and one might be better than the other. I saw one of the vendors on Ebay say that his were better than some others, don't know if it's a fact or BS...

Last edited by Nick Solo; 02-20-2013 at 09:44 AM.
Nick Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:37 AM   #16
rbar

I would avoid aftermarket like the plague. My fenders were 1/4" too short and wouldn't reach the grill support or bolt up properly. They may also claim to be as thick, but they are soft and dent really easy. It's not a good comparison. It's almost the same as comparing steel wire to soldering wire. I bought two sets of inner fenders. One worked ok with massaging and removing and rewelding mounting points. The other set is not usable without even more work. I'd use factory parts and rework them. I bought a dynacorn door and sold it again for half price to someone that was willing to accept the lesser quality. Never again will I buy aftermarket sheet metal. I did buy a front bed panel from MAR-K that was awesome and made in America, so that is my one exception.
2009 Pontiac G8 GXP 415hp/415tq 6speed

Last edited by rbar; 02-21-2013 at 01:38 AM. Reason: ..
rbar is offline   Reply With Quote