The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 AM   #1
noslowboww

Turn signal fuse keeps blowing

So I've got a 68 pick up and my newest issue on it right now is when I turn on my left turn signal I can hear my flasher relay kick on and after a while it blows my turn signal fuse so that I have no turn signals anymore. I replaced both flasher relays yesterday and a couple moths ago I replaced the turn signal switch so I'm not sure what could be wrong. Anyone have any suggestions as to what may be causing this? Anything would help. Thanks
Cameron
Posted via Mobile Device
noslowboww is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 10:09 AM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing

I would check out the front and rear turn lights on the left side. With the turn signal on, look at the lights to see if they are flashing with the same brightness. If one is different, check out the wiring to it.

Jim
1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC

Last edited by JimKshortstep4x4; 02-18-2013 at 10:10 AM. Reason: Spelling
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 11:16 AM   #3
AirSpeed

Have you changed bulbs recently? You could have the wrong bulb in the front or rear, this happened recently to a friend of mine.
Posted via Mobile Device
AirSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #4
noslowboww

I've been out in the garage all morning checking everthing out. All the lights seemed to be flashing with the same brightness. I went and checked all my connections and replaced any that felt loose. After all this I noticed my driver side rear tail light was out..... of course. Now I cant get the bulb back in the socket. Maybe that was my problem all along. I've always had difficulty putting a bulb in that socket so I'm gonna look to see how much it would be to replace that. I turned both turn signals on and my hazards on and kept everything on and nothing seems to be blowing right now. Still not feeling 100 percent about it though.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #5
68Gold/white

The tail/stop light sockets can be problematic...when you get that side repaired, look at the other side, make sure nothing's amiss there, also...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #6
noslowboww

Ya, like I said I have always had issues with the sockets. I've always meant to replace em, but they've never really been top priority. I guess it's about time now though.
Old 02-18-2013, 01:28 PM   #7
luvbowties

Smile Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslowboww View Post
Ya, like I said I have always had issues with the sockets. I've always meant to replace em, but they've never really been top priority. I guess it's about time now though.
I've actually seen defective bulbs cause that same problem. Go figure?
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 01:43 PM   #8
noslowboww

I had an extra bulb in the truck and I cant get the thing to turn inside the socket so that it sits in there tight and makes a connection.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
luvbowties

Smile Re: Turn signal fuse keeps blowing

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslowboww View Post
I had an extra bulb in the truck and I cant get the thing to turn inside the socket so that it sits in there tight and makes a connection.
I'd say you already have found your own problem's location: are you sure the bulb you're trying to insert is a dual-filament/dual-contact with the 2 offset locking tits on the brass/metal portion? (#1157, iirc) Could be wrong bulb OR bad socket; but I'm betting wrong bulb.

I'd make a tiny bet(just 'cause I'm not a gambler!)either the taillight or else the brake light on that side is non-operative also, as we speak.

Pls report back what you found.
Good luck,
sam
luvbowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 05:19 PM   #10
noslowboww

Alright, so i broke out the Hayne's repair book just to make sure that I was using the correct bulb (I did all this before the latest response) and I am using the correct bulb. Next, I got the test light out to make sure that I was getting power to my connections and to the socket, which I am. The light was working before I started messing with everything. The first thing that I did, however, was remove the lens, the bulb, and the housing to make sure there wasn't anything loose behind that.... which there wasn't. After I put everything back together is when I started noticing that the bulb was being a pain to get back in, but I just overlooked it and moved on to all the next steps. So, I'm pretty sure its gotta be that socket that just finally decided it didn't want to cooperate with me anymore.