The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2013, 09:41 AM   #1
rob_stang2000

Gas Tank Help!

I need a little help I can’t make up my mind if I want to put in a 60’s mustang gas tank, or the blazer tank. I have a 1966 c10 long bed, and am going to relocate the tank this weekend. The blazer tank looks to hang down more than I want. Any thoughts or input? Pics of what you guys have done would be a great help. I’m like everyone I’m on a tight budget and don’t have the money to spend on a SS custom tank.
Thanks in advance.
rob_stang2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 09:50 AM   #2
bonehead

Re: Gas Tank Help!

Sorry for being nosey but I always have to ask, why do you want to move the tank to under the bed? I just spent 2 weeks retrofitting my tank back into the cab to the stock config in my 1966 Longbed.

What is your plan for configuring the gas filler? Where will you put your spare tire?

Seems like a lot of work unless you have a serious reason. Are you tall and need to move the seat back for leg room...?

Just asking...
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:12 PM   #3
rob_stang2000

No problem I’m moving it because I need a new tank and I figured now is the time to relocate it. I also would like to get the tank out of the cab because it will make me feel safer, I would like to move the seat back a little bit I am a big boy so that won’t hurt. And some extra cab space for tools and ext. wont hurt.
As of now I am planning on jut putting the filler through the floor, or what is left of it, in the future I may try to do something custom with the tail light. I will just put the spare tire in the bed the spare tire has been in the bed for over 40 years I think my grandpa pulled it out from under the bed and it never went back under there.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:23 PM   #4
bonehead

Good luck with your swap, the filler configuration is the trickiest part and requires some planning and engineering. keep us posted.
1966 C-10 custom cab LWB
bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:31 PM   #5
JOHNORO
oldschoolblazer@yahoo.com

Look up Dinos63 build named "Dinos just a clean bagged 66 shortbed"
He did a nice setup from a place called tanks.com
It looks great and the price was just a few more bucks than a stock replacement .
Posted via Mobile Device
JOHNORO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
rob_stang2000

Has anyone used a 60’s mustang tank? I’m really thinking this may be the route I may go.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:09 AM   #7
66farmer

Take a look at my thread, I used a 1950 chevy sedan as for the mustang tank PDX is using one.
66farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:14 AM   #8
travz500

look at the boyds tanks I got 2 of them for different trucks they are nice and fit good quaility product look up forum vendor Pro Performance
Travis is good to work with and if your a supporting member of this site he gives a discount on shipping and he will answer 100 questions he did for me anyhow.
PS you know if you put a mustang tank in the back chevys will reject them your motor will blow or lock up and the frame will rust off right in front of the tank all out of rejection of the implant LOL just kidding that just popped up in my head thought it was funny
travz500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #9
jamesrussell26

lol that funny travz500 your probably right though.
jamesrussell26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
rob_stang2000

[QUOTE=travz500;5898575]look at the boyds tanks I got 2 of them for different trucks they are nice and fit good quaility product look up forum vendor Pro Performance
Travis is good to work with and if your a supporting member of this site he gives a discount on shipping and he will answer 100 questions he did for me anyhow.
PS you know if you put a mustang tank in the back chevys will reject them your motor will blow or lock up and the frame will rust off right in front of the tank all out of rejection of the implant LOL just kidding that just popped up in my head thought it was funny[/QUOTE

The boyds tanks look great, but I’m on a smaller budget at this moment. I know I'm going to take some lashings for this, but I am a Mustang guy also.
Old 02-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #11
travz500

[quote=rob_stang2000;5898862]
Quote:
Originally Posted by travz500 View Post
look at the boyds tanks I got 2 of them for different trucks they are nice and fit good quaility product look up forum vendor Pro Performance
PS you know if you put a mustang tank in the back chevys will reject them your motor will blow or lock up and the frame will rust off right in front of the tank all out of rejection of the implant LOL just kidding that just popped up in my head thought it was funny[/QUOTE

The boyds tanks look great, but I’m on a smaller budget at this moment. I know I'm going to take some lashings for this, but I am a Mustang guy also.
it happens the only way i could afford one was i bought a few parts trucks and have sold enough of the parts I dont need and its supporting my rebuild
travz500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:58 PM   #12
Big Fenders

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob_stang2000 View Post
I need a little help I can’t make up my mind if I want to put in a 60’s mustang gas tank, or the blazer tank. I have a 1966 c10 long bed, and am going to relocate the tank this weekend. The blazer tank looks to hang down more than I want. Any thoughts or input? Pics of what you guys have done would be a great help. I’m like everyone I’m on a tight budget and don’t have the money to spend on a SS custom tank.
Thanks in advance.
I put a Mustang gas tank in my 63 short bed...Considered a Blazer tank but didn't want the hang down with the bigger tank..
You do give up capacity though because the Mustang tank is about 16 gallons and the Blazer tank is about 20 gallons..

Bob
Big Fenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:30 AM   #13
rob_stang2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fenders View Post
I put a Mustang gas tank in my 63 short bed...Considered a Blazer tank but didn't want the hang down with the bigger tank..
You do give up capacity though because the Mustang tank is about 16 gallons and the Blazer tank is about 20 gallons..

Bob
Big Fenders do you have any pics of the install? What problems did you have? Did you mount yours on top of the frame rails or inside? What did you do for the sending unit and do you have a fuel gage that works? Thanks for the response I appreciate all the help.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:29 PM   #14
hop sing

[quote=rob_stang2000;5898862]
Quote:
Originally Posted by travz500 View Post

u should see my set up two 5gallon gas jugs strapped down its even got a low gas feature when my engine starts to stumble a little i have enough time to pull over and switch fuel line to the other jug before it stalls lol total hawaiian
hop sing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:08 PM   #15
rob_stang2000

[quote=hop sing;5900882]
Quote:

u should see my set up two 5gallon gas jugs strapped down its even got a low gas feature when my engine starts to stumble a little i have enough time to pull over and switch fuel line to the other jug before it stalls lol total hawaiian
That’s not totally out of question at this time!
Old 02-20-2013, 04:15 PM   #16
slepysal

[quote=hop sing;5900882]
Quote:

thats Da Kine brah!!

"Over, Around or through it... "
slepysal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:54 PM   #17
Big Fenders

Quote:
Big Fenders do you have any pics of the install? What problems did you have? Did you mount yours on top of the frame rails or inside? What did you do for the sending unit and do you have a fuel gage that works? Thanks for the response I appreciate all the help.
Sorry no pics...but if I remember correctly I mounted the tank on the frame rails with rubber cut from a 18 wheeler mud flap between the tank and the rails. The sending unit was another problem I used the new sending unit with the Mustang tank and modified it with a sending unit from a 63 chevy to keep the ohms the same as the gas gauge.
HTH
Bob
Big Fenders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
rob_stang2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Fenders View Post
Sorry no pics...but if I remember correctly I mounted the tank on the frame rails with rubber cut from a 18 wheeler mud flap between the tank and the rails. The sending unit was another problem I used the new sending unit with the Mustang tank and modified it with a sending unit from a 63 chevy to keep the ohms the same as the gas gauge.
HTH
Bob
So you used the Mustang pick up tube, but took the electronics off the 63 Chevy unit and mounted them to the Ford one? I will have to try this.
Thanks
Old 02-21-2013, 09:13 PM   #19
LIVE RUST
1966 Chevy/GMC Mongrel K10

I used a Jeep CJ tank, heres some pics of what I did. Its 16 gallons and I mounted it as high as it could go. It drops below the rear crossmember a few inches.
Attached Images

LIVE RUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:20 PM   #20
LIVE RUST
1966 Chevy/GMC Mongrel K10

a couple more. first one is where the bed wood lies, got aboth 3/8 clearance. I will say this, 16 gallons is not much. Especially when you have a thirsty sucking pig under the hood. Plan on many trips to the pump.
Attached Images

LIVE RUST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:13 AM   #21
rob_stang2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIVE RUST View Post
a couple more. first one is where the bed wood lies, got aboth 3/8 clearance. I will say this, 16 gallons is not much. Especially when you have a thirsty sucking pig under the hood. Plan on many trips to the pump.
looks like a nice install.