The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-18-2013, 12:15 PM   #1
69Rumbler

Any one tell me about my truck ? Options ?

Took this picture so hopefully all you smart people can tell me a little about my truck
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 02-18-2013, 12:34 PM   #2
jocko

Re: Any one tell me about my truck ? Options ?

69 3/4 ton Custom Camper (should have a CustomCamper20 emblem on the fenders). Nicely optioned - a truck made to haul a camper. It's a step above the basic "Custom" 20 in that it is a Custom Camper and a Custom conf&appeart (i always thought Z62 was custom coMf&apppear... - is the "n" a typo?? - maybe you have a rare two-headed nickel...) ANYway - green custom cloth interior is a nice to have and part of Z62 I believe - the callout just IDs the color, but custom cloth interior would normally be associated with Z62. Would love to see some pics of this truck. And, of course, I'm a big fan of the paint. Just so you know, even thought the spid doesn't say it (for some reason) - 504 is medium olive. It may not have been called "medium" until (70)71/72 just to differentiate it from dark olive.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 12:47 PM   #3
69Rumbler

Quote:
Originally Posted by jocko View Post
69 3/4 ton Custom Camper (should have a CustomCamper20 emblem on the fenders). Nicely optioned - a truck made to haul a camper. It's a step above the basic "Custom" 20 in that it is a Custom Camper and a Custom conf&appeart (i always thought Z62 was custom coMf&apppear... - is the "n" a typo?? - maybe you have a rare two-headed nickel...) ANYway - green custom cloth interior is a nice to have and part of Z62 I believe - the callout just IDs the color, but custom cloth interior would normally be associated with Z62. Would love to see some pics of this truck. And, of course, I'm a big fan of the paint. Just so you know, even thought the spid doesn't say it (for some reason) - 504 is medium olive. It may not have been called "medium" until (70)71/72 just to differentiate it from dark olive.
as Far as the color its gone they repainted it .. and had a crappy paint job so i had it primer down and getting it ready for paint ... im the 2nd owner of the truck . and the seat is gone they replaced them with some bucket sets lol but besides that everything else is the same lol
Old 02-11-2014, 12:24 AM   #4
69Rumbler

Pump ... Can any one tell me what rear end I have from this ? Also Gears
Thanks !
Old 02-11-2014, 01:11 AM   #5
FirstOwner69

Attached is a photo the differential on my 69 C/20 with coils. If it looks like this with different perches for your leaf springs, it's an Eaton, probably an H052 with 4.11 gears.
Attached Images

FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:17 AM   #6
18436572GMC

If the rear end looks like that it is either an eaton ho52 or ho72. The only difference is the ho72 has a preload bolt on the opposite side near the driveshaft yoke. They came with 4.11 and lower

1972 GMC, K25, 383 stroker, SM465, NP205, Eaton HO-72
18436572GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:38 AM   #7
Stocker
20' Daredevil (Ret)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18436572GMC View Post
If the rear end looks like that it is either an eaton ho52 or ho72. The only difference is the ho72 has a preload bolt on the opposite side near the driveshaft yoke. They came with 4.11 and lower
Close -- HO72 was one-ton (30-series) trucks only, and always had the preload bolt.
3/4T (20-series) trucks had HO52, some had preload bolts and some did not.

1972 K20 LWB 350/350/205

RIP El Jay
Stocker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 01:44 AM   #8
69Rumbler

So It's pretty safe to say I have 4.11 gears
Old 02-11-2014, 02:01 AM   #9
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Rumbler View Post
So It's pretty safe to say I have 4.11 gears
Copied from another thread on how to test for ratio:

Here's the procedure for both open and posi rearends.

Open differentials: Secure the car from rolling forwards or backwards and place the car in neutral. Raise ONE SIDE of the car off the ground (left in this example) and place jackstands under the car to safely support it. If you just did steps 1-3 as a test, note that this is different from step 2, requiring you to change your setup.

Place a mark on the tire at bottom-dead-center. Crawl under the car and place a mark on the driveshaft. You'll be counting how many times the driveshaft turns in this test, so place the mark at a convenient place that you can call "zero".

Have a friend turn the left wheel for 20 rotations. Have them count to themselves while you count driveshaft rotations. When they are completed, divide the number of driveshaft revolutions by 10. For instance, 30 turns is a 3.00 differential ratio. 37 and a third turns is a 3.73 ratio. If you know the factory-available ratios, this will put you close enough to quickly determine which ratio you have. If you don't know the factory options, then do a larger number of wheel rotations (say, 100) and divide by 50 for a little more accuracy on that last decimal place. You're done! You can put the car back on the ground now.

"Posi" differentials: Secure the car from rolling forwards or backwards and place the car in neutral. Raise the rear end of the car so both rear tires are off the ground. Place jackstands under the car to safely support it. If you just did steps 1-3 as a test, note that this is different from step 2 as you now need to be in neutral.

This procedure relies on the fact that your left and right wheels (thanks to the posi) will rotate the exact same number of turns as each other. Place a mark on the tire at bottom-dead-center. Crawl under the car and place a mark the driveshaft. You'll be counting how many times the driveshaft turns in this test, so place the mark at a convenient place that you can call "zero".

Have a friend turn the left wheel for 10 rotations. Have them count to themselves while you count driveshaft rotations. When they are completed, divide the number of driveshaft revolutions by 10. For instance, 30 turns is a 3.00 differential ratio. 37 and a third turns is a 3.73 ratio. If you know the factory-available ratios, this will put you close enough to quickly determine which ratio you have. If you don't know the factory options, then do a larger number of wheel rotations (say, 50) and divide by 50. You're done! You can put the car back on the ground now.

Copied from: http://www-unix.oit.umass.edu/~tcroy...fferential.htm
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 06:07 AM   #10
Steve Hafner

. . . .

Your green seat would have looked like the one pictured below . . .

It would have had the scroll design in the middle, with this pattern of cloth where you "sit".

. . . .
Attached Images

Steve Hafner is offline   Reply With Quote