The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #1
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Got my factory AM radio working today. Now a new problem. Nothing good to listen to..

You may have seen my posts as I progressed with my radio situation. Finally got it working today.

The PO installed a cheesy aftermarket radio. I took it out, and did the following:

Bought a stock AM radio off eBay

Replaced the broken antenna

Replaced the broken stock speaker with a functional stock speaker I found today at the junk yard off a '70 K20

Got it all wired, and it works! It's satisfying to have it work, and to have it pumping out stock sound like it did in 1969. What IS NOT satisfying, is the lack of anything of value to listen to lol. Some of you warned me about this, but I remembered AM being different in the past. Boy, it's really bad.

Anyway, I'm thinking of installing a wireless Bluetooth speaker under the seat, so I can stream music from my phone, but maintain the stock look.

Anybody have input on what to hook up under the seat?

Here's the radio

The new antenna

Posted via Mobile Device
Mister-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
69GWC

Re: Got my factory AM radio working today. Now a new problem. Nothing good to listen

Yeap am is pretty much a dead radio band these days not like it was back when we were young/younger..lol

Good Day.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:44 PM   #3
68Gold/white

Re: Got my factory AM radio working today. Now a new problem. Nothing good to listen

I'm sure that some still makes a converter, that allows a AM radio to receive FM, also, it was done "in the day". The radio is not modified in any way, and keeps the stock appearance...
68Gold/white is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:50 PM   #4
danheit

Why not go buy a cheap amp, some 6x9's behind/under the seat, and run it all into an ipod/your phone/mp3 device? This is what I do in my CJ7. Easy as can be to set up. Just run a headphone jack to RCA adapter cord and go from your headphone outputs to the RCA inputs on the amp.
1979 Jeep CJ7 - Build date on the day I was born! -Keeper
2004 Expedition - Family Hauler
2007 Accord - Wife's around towner; I have more but not enough lines to post them!
danheit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by danheit View Post
Why not go buy a cheap amp, some 6x9's behind/under the seat, and run it all into an ipod/your phone/mp3 device? This is what I do in my CJ7. Easy as can be to set up. Just run a headphone jack to RCA adapter cord and go from your headphone outputs to the RCA inputs on the amp.
That's a good idea. Thanks. I'd prefer wireless, but this is a good option
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-19-2013, 10:15 PM   #6
pritch

Baseball is only 6 weeks away-nothing better than catching a game on an AM radio
Ol' Green
pritch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #7
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

My mustang has an AM radio. Around here it's either talk radio, Jesus Channels (not a bad thing), and a couple stations in spanish. However, during football season on sat or sunday theres an ESPN channel that played college on sat and a pro game on sunday. During the playoffs I cruised around listening to football. It does suck though, so I hid a modern AM/FM/CD/AUX jack radio in the center console.
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
LSUMurse

You could always make your own transmitter for an ipod, etc.:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make...tter/?ALLSTEPS

I have no idea how practicle this is, but it might work for you. If not, there are other kits, etc. on the web.

If your life is a joke, it appears death will be your punchline.
LSUMurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:51 AM   #9
lowrollin70gmc
Too many projects

Over in the stereo subforum there is this jewel from Frizzle Fry:

My Factory AM Radio is now mp3 Compatible!
68 K20 Suburban 12V Cummins/NV5600/NP205/D60/11.5AAM 3.73s "Dakota Cadillac"
63 Chevy II Nova Coupe 250 I6/T56/4.56s "Economy car"
53 Willys Wagon 350/NV4500/BW4401/HP D44/9inch “Winter Wagon”
30 Model A 16 Focus ST
lowrollin70gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 12:57 AM   #10
JOJABOY

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUMurse View Post
You could always make your own transmitter for an ipod, etc.:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Make...tter/?ALLSTEPS

I have no idea how practicle this is, but it might work for you. If not, there are other kits, etc. on the web.
Coming from a radio guy (military).....this will work. It won't be in stereo but will work. The fun part is building something from scratch and thinking "How cool is this?" I would build one. Hide the transmitter behind the glove box with the 3.5mm audio plug coming through where the light is. Then just plug up an MP3 player or iPod when you are rollin down the highway.

Can always dial in som NPR and get stoned on politics if you iPod battery dies.
JOJABOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:01 AM   #11
71K20chevy

I had the same problem with mine...

So I got a radio at a garage sale for $10 that requires no cutting of the dash. I think I'm going to put my stock one back in and put a nice aftermarket one in the glovebox.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:10 AM   #12
Mister-B
Account Suspended

This is pretty cool. It's a Bluetooth receiver, with a 3.5 mm jack. It's only $39, and then I can connect it to an amp with speakers under the seat

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Speaker-Bl... http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Wireless-Speaker-Bl...Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2013, 01:11 AM   #13
Tuff Gong

I bought a nice Bose Soundlink wireless speaker. Kinda expensive, but it has really good sound. I ended up buying a few retriever magnets and made a wood mounting box so I could keep it in place without drilling any holes in my cab. It also allows me to take it in and out of the truck. I had to play around with the mounting a little because the magnets where shutting off the speaker when they got to close. I guess the speaker cover has a magnet and when it is in the covered position, it shuts it down.
Tuff Gong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 01:19 AM   #14
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Atkinson View Post
I bought a nice Bose Soundlink wireless speaker. Kinda expensive, but it has really good sound. I ended up buying a few retriever magnets and made a wood mounting box so I could keep it in place without drilling any holes in my cab. It also allows me to take it in and out of the truck. I had to play around with the mounting a little because the magnets where shutting off the speaker when they got to close. I guess the speaker cover has a magnet and when it is in the covered position, it shuts it down.
Great idea with the magnet mounting system.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2013, 01:21 AM   #15
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrollin70gmc View Post
Over in the stereo subforum there is this jewel from Frizzle Fry:

My Factory AM Radio is now mp3 Compatible!
Yeah, I've seen that. Cool, but way over my head
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-20-2013, 01:52 AM   #16
FirstOwner69

Here's what I did.

I got an AM/FM from a late 70s van that looks like the truck radios. As a bonus, this one has a factory output and fader for an auxiliary speaker, or, as we called them in the old days, a rear speaker. So, I also grabbed the 6X9 speaker from the back of the van along with the 1 wire "harness" and speaker grille. I found a truck lens and bought a correct decal for the AM/FM drum here on the forum, and it now appears to be a true truck radio. I have factory buckets and console. I mounted the 6X9 in a spare console pointing out the rear. At first I'd built a plywood box to contain the speaker under the passenger's seat.

This would only give you FM. However, I also have a Garmin with MP3 capability (via a micro SD card) and a built in FM transmitter. So, all I have to do is select a FM frequency on the Garmin and match it on the radio. It's a bit tougher to do this on a radio with analog tuning vs. today's digital tuners, but it works. Obviously, it's not stereo.

The part I know you'll appreciate is that the radio and speaker were less than $20 at the local junkyard, and the decal and lens were another $20. I think I got the last 2 lenses in the U.S. though.

The worst part of the original AM radios is that they have horrible range. Just wait until you get away from SLC. You'll be lucky to get anything!
Attached Images

Last edited by FirstOwner69; 02-20-2013 at 02:13 AM. Reason: Added picture
FirstOwner69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 AM   #17
Katrina/10

[QUOTE=Mister-B;5899797]You may have seen my posts as I progressed with my radio situation. Finally got it working today.

The PO installed a cheesy aftermarket radio. I took it out, and did the following:

Replaced the broken stock speaker with a functional stock speaker I found today at the junk yard off a '70 K20

Got it all wired, and it works! It's satisfying to have it work, and to have it pumping out stock sound like it did in 1969. What IS NOT satisfying, is the lack of anything of value to listen to lol. Some of you warned me about this, but I remembered AM being different in the past. Boy, it's really bad.

Anyway, I'm thinking of installing a wireless Bluetooth speaker under the seat, so I can stream music from my phone, but maintain the stock look.

Well, I think what you did was worth doing whether you can find much to listen to or not. The factory radio and antenna look great. Maybe use a portable radio on the seat?

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #18
Katrina/10

[QUOTE=Mister-B;5899797]You may have seen my posts as I progressed with my radio situation. Finally got it working today.

Well, I think what you did was worth doing whether you can find much to listen to or not. The factory radio and antenna look great. Maybe use a portable radio on the seat?

1971 Chevrolet C/10
1951 GMC 100
1977 GMC C15
1955 Chevrolet 3100
Katrina/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #19
oldblue1968chevy
Grandpa in the rustmobile...

This thread made my

Goose-1968 C10 355,9.32-1CR, Vortec Heads ,262 voodoo, 3.73:1 3OTT (HS ride/beater/farm truck)
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317684

Grams 53-1953 Chevrolet Belair
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=1#post4327784

1969 Chevy C10 Shortbed 4.5/6?" Frame off resto
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=548136

1999 Toyota Tacoma 4x4
oldblue1968chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
Longhorn 70

Rush Limbaugh

And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. Gal 6:9
Longhorn 70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:06 PM   #21
Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn 70 View Post
Rush Limbaugh
Mark Leven, Shawn Hannity
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:16 PM   #22
GRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by danheit View Post
Expand on this and download a radio tuner app for your smart phone. I like 'Tune In Radio". Any station in the world, plus internet only stations, and Pod casts. Might kill your minutes if you don't have unlimited though.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:26 PM   #23
SS Tim

Someone help me here, does the stock radio have a matching screw? The antenna being an AM/FM is not exactly optimal.
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #24
Mister-B
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS Tim View Post
Someone help me here, does the stock radio have a matching screw? The antenna being an AM/FM is not exactly optimal.
I'm not sure I understand what your question is about the screw?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 12:29 AM   #25
SS Tim

Antenna trimmer screw, its used to match the antenna to the radio. You would tune the radio to a high station and tweek the screw for best reception. I just don't remember if the stock AM radio has one or if it is front accessable below the tuner shaft.
At night I can get KSL here in the California desert.

Of course there are radio station alternatives as well.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=509151
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote