The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-20-2013, 02:36 PM   #1
classic70

Value increase with a 5.3 swap?

I am swapping a 5.3 and a 4l60e in my truck, how much value will it add over a mild 350 and turbo 350 trans. To me it will add alot of value based on the driveablity and economy. Does anyone know of ones that have been sold and what kind of premium they sold for?
classic70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
70CHEVYBB

Re: Value increase with a 5.3 swap?

The only thing I can say is "its only worth what someone will pay you for it". lol
70CHEVYBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 03:09 PM   #3
Pillow

Not enough to recoup what you will put in it. That is true for all mods IMO.

I would go with a 4L80E though, the 4L60E is a slush box in comparison. Granted if you can get a 6L60E that would be the best!

Build log required on this project
'79 Porsche 911 SC
'48 Spartan Mansion 30' travel trailer
'10 Porsche Cayenne S - Daily
Pillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:00 PM   #4
truckster

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic70 View Post
To me it will add alot of value based on the driveablity and economy.
That's the real key as to whether it's worth it or not. As 70Chevy said, it really is worth what someone's willing to pay otherwise, and Pillow said, it can be difficult to get your money out of it.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:10 PM   #5
special-K
Special Order

Are you an investor or a truck guy? Do it if you feel it will enhance your truck to suit your needs. Some like that stuff and some like no computers and the simplicity these trucks offer. Everyone wants what they want for less,that's all I know.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 04:14 PM   #6
jocko

yep, I agree with Tim - if YOU want a 5.3/4L60 swap, go for it, but accept it will will likely decrease the overall value (unless it is a high end custom). But ONLY a 5.3/4L60 swap into a nice looking truck will likely decrease its value - at the very least it will definitely decrease the potential buyer pool. Doesn't mean you won't find someone willing to pay enough to recoup your investment, but it does mean that the group of folks like that is going to be a good bit smaller and more planets will have to align if/when you sell it. A restored/original truck will hold value better than anything. But again - if you personally want a 5/3/4L60, it's an excellent swap and makes a great truck - just do it for that reason, not for investment purposes because you might be disappointed.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
cdowns

probally worth an extra 50 bucks or so
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 05:47 PM   #8
Custom 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by classic70 View Post
To me it will add alot of value based on the driveablity and economy.
yep because of that is is priceless...
ok I couldn't resist.
"A good friend will bail you out of jail...but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying "that was frekin awesome".
"If it doesn't fit force it...If it breaks then it needed to be replaced anyway!"
Custom 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
classic70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pillow View Post
Not enough to recoup what you will put in it. That is true for all mods IMO.

I would go with a 4L80E though, the 4L60E is a slush box in comparison. Granted if you can get a 6L60E that would be the best!

Build log required on this project
Build thread is started!
Old 02-20-2013, 08:15 PM   #10
Mint68

I don’t think the cost is too far off from building a 350, maybe even cheaper unless you go crazy. Value wise, how could it hurt?? You're putting a newer, more reliable, and fuel efficient engine that will make it more usable and enjoyable, all without changing the classic exterior look of it. I think the vast majority of "buyers" would prefer a vehicle that runs good and efficient all the time, instead of one that needs tinkered with. Not sure, but if it keeps it from smelling like gas, that would sell me on the deal!
Mint68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 08:53 PM   #11
69GWC

Like was said all depends on the person and if they want something closer to stock and no computers on the truck.
Myself I would not buy a truck like ours with a 5.3 motor in it.
Posted via Mobile Device
69GWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 09:57 PM   #12
70cst

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CHEVYBB View Post
The only thing I can say is "its only worth what someone will pay you for it". lol
I would agree.

Many people want factory verses modified.

Than again some folks don't care.

Are you doing this for yourself or for resale?

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
mcbassin
Still Learning

I wouldn't recommend installing a 5.3/4L60 to increase the value. If you're doing it to drive it and enjoy then by all means do it. Personally I wouldn't want to pay a whole bunch more for one with the "upgraded" motor/tranny.

Now with that said, I did the LS swap in mine because I hate stock carbed engine with little or no power. I never plan on selling my truck though. Honestly, I think they might be worth more with the numbers matching type drivetrain.

Look at like this, you have to do what you like and plan on NOT getting what you invest in these trucks when/if you sell it. If you're doing it to increase the value I doubt you will see much gain.

Another thing that comes to mind when some folks see one of the LS engines sitting in the bay, "I wonder if this guy knew what he was doing when he put this thing in there"?
Can I fix it if it breaks? Can my mechanic fix it if breaks? Just things to consider if you are planning to sell. Good luck with your build.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2013, 11:35 PM   #14
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

I'll go against the grain and say its worth more. That sure is the case in a lot of older cars such as Camaros and Vettes anyway.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 11:48 AM   #15
classic70

Ya I think it would increase the value because my truck was nothing special to begin with, and not everybody has one like a small block.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 11:52 AM   #16
Number98
Prestige Worldwide

I don't know... Remember Hazel? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Custo...#ht_578wt_1047

She was just running a little GM crate and look at the value she gained...
Number98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:19 PM   #17
burnin oil

I say worth less. Anytime you deviate from factory someone is going to say what is wrong with the install. It may work just fine but most people will not want to bother with the headaches of custom parts or keeping track of what years parts are needed. Not to mention any work to the wiring harness will drive the next owner nuts. If anything is going to add some value it would be an OD transmission. Then again I wouldn't pay for that either. I can do the work just as easily as you and know exactly what I put in there. I payed more for my K20 for low miles and a semi solid body. I can swap drielines all day long.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #18
DirtyLarry
Windy Corner of a Dirty Street

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CHEVYBB View Post

Exactly! It all depends on the potential purchaser. To some an all original truck is worth more than a restomoded truck. I would think a modern powertrain would add value in truck that wasn’t anything special to begin with as mentioned above. The biggest thing is a clean install. A hack job install with exposed wiring, check engine lights and etc. would probably decrease value. There is a decent Suburban floating around CL right now with a late model LS engine but the install looks pretty sketchy as well as the underhood and interior wiring resulting low asking price.

It seems this entire hobby has a misguided idea of value the last few years thanks to the likes of Barrett-Jackson and reality TV shows like Desert Car Kings, Fast and Loud and all the rest. Classic vehicle values are extremely out of line because everybody thinks they are sitting on a gold mine. Hazel is a good example. Hazel is an outstanding truck that has been very tastefully done and has been one of my favorite builds here but I don’t see $43,500 in her IMHO unless there is big sack of gold laying in the glovebox. As said before, vehicle value is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Someone probably will be willing to pay $43K and that is good for Hazel but would never come from someone like me. I am not bashing Hazel by any means, just my position on truck values as of the last few years.

Build a truck to what you want, not as an investment. If you’re building it to be the next high dollar truck at the auction, you might be part of the problem with this hobby instead of being a dedicated loyalist.
DirtyLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #19
ls1nova71

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post
The biggest thing is a clean install. A hack job install with exposed wiring, check engine lights and etc. would probably decrease value. There is a decent Suburban floating around CL right now with a late model LS engine but the install looks pretty sketchy as well as the underhood and interior wiring resulting low asking price.
I agree, quality is everything in a swap vehicle. If it's done right and looks nice, then the potential buyer will be less likley to be wondering how long before it breaks and he's left walking. A niclely done swap that runs and drives as good as a new truck I would think would be worth more than a mild 350/350 in my opinion. But that said, do what YOU want, not what the next guy will want since most people don't get all they're money back at selling time.

5.3 swap into my RUSTY '71 C10
http://ls1tech.com/forums/conversion...71-c-10-a.html
ls1nova71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 05:01 PM   #20
BB72CHEVKT

I am very surprised by the responses so far. I would have guessed most people would have said it increased the value. The only draw back I see would be a poor installation or a high mileage set up which to me too many people choose. I would look for a set up with 60k max. I know they can go forever but that is just me.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:50 PM   #21
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyLarry View Post

Exactly! It all depends on the potential purchaser. To some an all original truck is worth more than a restomoded truck. I would think a modern powertrain would add value in truck that wasn’t anything special to begin with as mentioned above. The biggest thing is a clean install. A hack job install with exposed wiring, check engine lights and etc. would probably decrease value. There is a decent Suburban floating around CL right now with a late model LS engine but the install looks pretty sketchy as well as the underhood and interior wiring resulting low asking price.

It seems this entire hobby has a misguided idea of value the last few years thanks to the likes of Barrett-Jackson and reality TV shows like Desert Car Kings, Fast and Loud and all the rest. Classic vehicle values are extremely out of line because everybody thinks they are sitting on a gold mine. Hazel is a good example. Hazel is an outstanding truck that has been very tastefully done and has been one of my favorite builds here but I don’t see $43,500 in her IMHO unless there is big sack of gold laying in the glovebox. As said before, vehicle value is only worth what someone is willing to pay. Someone probably will be willing to pay $43K and that is good for Hazel but would never come from someone like me. I am not bashing Hazel by any means, just my position on truck values as of the last few years.

Build a truck to what you want, not as an investment. If you’re building it to be the next high dollar truck at the auction, you might be part of the problem with this hobby instead of being a dedicated loyalist.
Truck values are what they are because people ask high prices and buyers are coughing up the money. If the buyers with major bucks weren't so plentiful these price levels couldn't be sustained. These aren't aberrations. Hazel was bid up to that amount, it took multiple buyers for that to happen.

If you think prices are out of line, how much would it take to get you to part with that BB pickup of yours? Would you let it go if I offered original MSRP for it? How would you go about pricing it? You'd probably do the same thing a buyer does - look to see what similar trucks are selling for.

Have you noticed there isn't a forum on this board for people doing original restorations? There would be if the interest were there. Far and away people are modifying trucks to ride and handle better than new while maintaining the original look. Buyers pay for quality more than originality.
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 09:59 PM   #22
buckskins4ever

Really value increase is purely in the eyes of prospected buyers. now that being said, you will get more value out of a 350 Vortec than a 5.3, similar mileage, and more power. Value to a new buyer will be more likely to be improved by cosmetics and accurate records of mechanical upkeep.
You can get into a great 350 vortec and backing it with a 700r4 and have built to manually lockup. (No vacuum lines).
Good luck with the build no matter which way to go.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 10:05 PM   #23
BB72CHEVKT

It all goes back to it is worth what SOMEONE/ANYONE is willing to pay!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:21 PM   #24
BigCountryx

If there were two identical trucks, one with a 350/700r4 and one with 5.3/4l60, I'd pay more for the truck with the 5.3 no doubt. Willing to bet I'm not alone.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-21-2013, 10:34 PM   #25
Hubscrub
Cruzin

I wouldn't pay any extra probably not buy the truck i just don't like the looks of the modern engines, maybe with a carb on top there ok this is once when me and Stacy David agrees I don't feel there anymore reliable than a properly built and tuned older style just my 0.02.

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote