The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-21-2013, 11:53 PM   #1
zach33

305 TBI performance upgrades

I have a 1987 r10 with a 305 TBI. The truck only has 120k original miles. I want to get a bit more performance but dont want to sacrifice rilability as it will be my main transportation other than my harley. Is there anything that i can do other than completely rebuilding it or dropping in a 350. I know way more about things with two wheels than i do about things with four. Also i definately want to upgrade to a better transmission. What would be the best choice. Thanks for the (good) advice.
zach33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:39 AM   #2
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Re: 305 TBI performance upgrades

Consider a TBI spacer for your engine, at least a set of shorty headers and opening up the exhaust to a set of duals, upgrade to a good set of sparkplug wires MSD 8 MM work great (Low resistance, more HP). I had a MSD multi-spark on my truck to make it use all of the fuel put into the cylinders and not waste it. Stick with the factory Delco coil, and Factory Delco plugs, can't beat them. I put a standard 14" X 4" tall K&N filter on top of mine and opened up the air intake to support he exhaust mods. Look for a 700R4 OD tranny to back this up.
Old 02-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
zach33

Thanks for the tips Frank.
Old 02-22-2013, 04:14 PM   #4
zach33

Quote:
Originally Posted by piecesparts View Post
Consider a TBI spacer for your engine, at least a set of shorty headers and opening up the exhaust to a set of duals, upgrade to a good set of sparkplug wires MSD 8 MM work great (Low resistance, more HP). I had a MSD multi-spark on my truck to make it use all of the fuel put into the cylinders and not waste it. Stick with the factory Delco coil, and Factory Delco plugs, can't beat them. I put a standard 14" X 4" tall K&N filter on top of mine and opened up the air intake to support he exhaust mods. Look for a 700R4 OD tranny to back this up.
Okay Frank, I have another question for you. Would removing all the emissions stuff off the truck help the performance (i cannot see why i wouldn't)? If so what all should i take off?
Old 02-22-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

I had this setup on my 91 TBI truck. There would be some differences, but the theory is the same.
Attached Images

Old 02-22-2013, 05:18 PM   #6
i heart square bodys

best performance upgrade for a 305 ... is a 350
i heart square bodys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:44 PM   #7
school boy

I say he already has the 700r. he only way to upgrade is for a 4l60e or 4l80e(just my opinion.) the only thing with going to these transmissions is the cost.
school boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:37 PM   #8
Zane M

Quote:
Originally Posted by zach33 View Post
Okay Frank, I have another question for you. Would removing all the emissions stuff off the truck help the performance (i cannot see why i wouldn't)? If so what all should i take off?
Removing emissions equipment is not going to be super beneficial with the possible exception of removing the smog pump, which is driven by the engine obviously.
A lot of people like to remove the EGR, but to keep from getting a check engine light, you would have to get that programmed out of the computer.
Removing the catalytic converter does free up the exhaust. Just make sure you keep the O2 sensor.
Zane M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:50 PM   #9
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

I've used the Edelbrock Performer TBI intake on a couple of my trucks. It gives a noticeable performance improvement.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:34 PM   #10
zach33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
I've used the Edelbrock Performer TBI intake on a couple of my trucks. It gives a noticeable performance improvement.
Posted via Mobile Device
I have definately been thinking hard about the performer intake and possibly pairing it with the edelbrock performer-plus cam kit. Have you or anybody you know used this cam, and if so what did ya think?
Old 02-22-2013, 10:42 PM   #11
Tx Firefighter
Watch out for your cornhole !

Yes, I used the intake, cam, and TES headers on my 92 when I built a 350 for it. It ran fine but nothing terribly inspiring. Just a good peppy engine.

BTW, I don't believe Edelbrock makes the Tubular Exhaust System headers anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tx Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 11:13 PM   #12
zach33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx Firefighter View Post
Yes, I used the intake, cam, and TES headers on my 92 when I built a 350 for it. It ran fine but nothing terribly inspiring. Just a good peppy engine.

BTW, I don't believe Edelbrock makes the Tubular Exhaust System headers anymore.
Posted via Mobile Device
I appreciate your feedback. It sounds like this set up is perfect for what I want. I want this to be a reliable daily driver, not a hot rod. Thank you for helping me out man.