The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2013, 01:47 AM   #1
profe56

Sugestion for tires

Hi folks: I received an e-mail last morning, of an special sales tires, when I went to the store I asked if they have 255/70/R15 for my C10 69 and the sales person told me, that size won't fit in my truck, I remember I had big tires before. 30X9.50R15 is the extra tire but I think the other 4 tires were a little more big.
Well, do you think can I use 255 70 R15?
Also I swaped disc brakes from 73/87 C10 the spindles are the stock.
Thanks
profe56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:43 AM   #2
Gumby

Re: Sugestion for tires

check the rules or laws for the state, city or business, they may only be allowed to sell you tires the computer says will fit your truck or they can be liable later if something goes wrong.

If that is so, and you know that is the tire you want, to get around that just go to tirerack.com and order the tires you want in the size you want.

Then carry in your old tires and rims and just pay for them to mount and balance [don't take whole truck] that will get around any questions. plus about 2hrs shorter wait.

[last time I had 4 new tires put on, took all day, carry in the rims and im out in 20mins]

https://www.facebook.com/ChevyGmcTrucksFindOfTheDay or http://ChevyGMCTrucks.com
Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 08:10 AM   #3
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I don't know if your truck is stock height but here are some pics of my stock height truck with 255/70R15's on all 4 corners. I have no rubbing issues and this size tire fills out the wheelwell very nicely.
Attached Images

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:33 AM   #4
WIDESIDE72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
check the rules or laws for the state, city or business, they may only be allowed to sell you tires the computer says will fit your truck or they can be liable later if something goes wrong.
Is this seriously an issue in some states?!?! I think he meant to say" it's not listed on my computer and I'm not smarter than my computer so it won't fit."

A few years bac I took my 79 malibu to NTB, rolling on 4 235 60 r 15's on 15 x 7 rally's and a pair of 15 x 8 corvette rallys in the trunk. I told them I wanted a pair of 275 60 r 15's mounted on back and they told me the same thing. (it wouldn't fit). I said "how do you know that?" and he said "the computer doesn't list it" and i replied "it doesn't list 235 60r15 either, does it? My tape measure and research says otherwise" he was like a deer in the headlights. Half an hour later I rolled out with the 275's out back with no issues at all. They were all amazed. Seriously...
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 AM   #5
WIDESIDE72

The car originally came with 14" wheels and todayy sets on 17"s
Posted via Mobile Device
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

I dropped mine 2 1/2-4 and run 255-70/15 on 8 in rallies in the rear.I'm running 235-70/15 up front since I did tires before PS.No problems either end.I haven't tried a 255 on front though.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
profe56

My truck is stock height and I can see a lot of space I will try a different store.
Also I look on the page of the tire store two options
Tires by size
and
Tires by vehicle: here the oldest truck I found is C10 1983 and they have 3 options
205 225 and 235/75R15
Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #8
powerdriver 1958
Kid's Mechanic

I know some place's that sell tires have a policy of not going past the car/truck makers recommended spec's . The Wal mart types and the like .
powerdriver 1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Gumby

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Is this seriously an issue in some states?!?! ]
Had Sears once refuse to put new shocks on the front of my 79 Duster because it had a shackle lift, traction bars and giant meants in the rear.

no clue what that had to do with the front, ended up at westernauto n tire or something, they took sears CC's for some reason. Funny part is I still have those shocks in my parts bin when the car got scrapped.

https://www.facebook.com/ChevyGmcTrucksFindOfTheDay or http://ChevyGMCTrucks.com
Old 02-22-2013, 02:22 PM   #10
Nathans71

I have ordered tires online and gotten great prices then had them mounted up locally by a small shop. Best price both ways and got what I wanted. 255 70 15s fit just fine.
Nathans71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 02:48 PM   #11
jhwkns
Registered Cruiser

That's what I have. They fit fine..
Old 02-22-2013, 03:06 PM   #12
Gumby

Here is a neat page you can use to compare different car tire sizes, with end and side view.

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalcold.html

Old 02-22-2013, 04:25 PM   #13
motorcritter

Some of the tire retailers, and I've worked for pretty much all of them, at one time or another, will only mount a tire that is recommended by the OEM, due to liability issues. Bringing in a set of rims and requesting a specific size to be mounted- that bypasses all the objections. Or at least, it should. It negates any mileage warranty claims- but a repair/replacement warranty would be intact- pro-rating tire wear (for replacement) is done by measuring the remaining tread depth, and adjusting accordingly.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-22-2013, 05:17 PM   #14
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIDESIDE72 View Post
Is this seriously an issue in some states?!?! I think he meant to say" it's not listed on my computer and I'm not smarter than my computer so it won't fit."

A few years bac I took my 79 malibu to NTB, rolling on 4 235 60 r 15's on 15 x 7 rally's and a pair of 15 x 8 corvette rallys in the trunk. I told them I wanted a pair of 275 60 r 15's mounted on back and they told me the same thing. (it wouldn't fit). I said "how do you know that?" and he said "the computer doesn't list it" and i replied "it doesn't list 235 60r15 either, does it? My tape measure and research says otherwise" he was like a deer in the headlights. Half an hour later I rolled out with the 275's out back with no issues at all. They were all amazed. Seriously...
I've had the same problems many times. Some companies will not let them install a tire other than what is listed in the computer for liability reasons. Some to the point they won't install the right size tire if the speed rating is different than the computer shows was stock. I tried to put Z-rated tires on my car and the local tire shop told me my car called for V-rated tires so they couldn't install them. Didn't matter that the speed rating was higher on the tires I wanted. I drove down the street to the next place and had no problems at all getting what I wanted. I say try another tire store.

When the company policy doesn't get in the way it seems that the guys behind the counter rarely know anything about cars beyond knowing they have tires. Many times they just try to push whatever crappy tire they happen to have too many of in the warehouse on you instead of giving you what you really need or ask for. If you know it will fit you can get them to do it with a little pressure and the threat of going elsewhere. They are usually commission sales based so they will usually will try to keep your business even if you have to push them a little to get the tire you want.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #15
profe56

Thank you folks for all your coments. I'll let you know whit in days if a I get them or not.
I think is probably for safety. I remember my was original front and rear with 30 /10 /15s
Now I have 73-87 spindles and 92 rear end the 69 stock lugs and nuts are thinest than 73-87 and I think 92 is thickest than 73/87. When was original with big tires sometimes lugs and nuts were broken some often.