The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #1
Fred50!

LWB shortened to SWB

I am new to this site and am interested in information and feed back about converting a long wheel base pickup to a short one. This subject has probably been discussed previously. Any help with personal experience or links to other sites or information would be appreciated. I should mention that I have more than beginner's skills in welding (own a mig and plasma cutter).
Fred
Fred50! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:35 PM   #2
Tinkermc

Re: LWB shortened to SWB

I would do it in an instant there are many links to how to do ir. Where you should cit 12" and where you should cut 10", welcome to the forum
Tinkermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #3
buckskins4ever

I say do it all day.....Shorty's rule the world!!!! when you cut, make sure to go the extra step in welding and diamond weld over the top for extra support. Make sure you have the tranny in that you want to keep before having the drive shaft shortened, and for best results make up new fuel and brake lines (not cut and splice together with hose..fixed that mistake for several poorly done mods.)
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2013, 10:53 PM   #4
RocketKing

I cut mine down and it was easier than I thought. You can check out my build thread if you are interested
Old 02-23-2013, 12:18 AM   #5
Fred50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
I would do it in an instant there are many links to how to do ir. Where you should cit 12" and where you should cut 10", welcome to the forum
Thank you for the welcome and encouragement.
Fred
Old 02-23-2013, 12:24 AM   #6
Fred50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskins4ever View Post
I say do it all day.....Shorty's rule the world!!!! when you cut, make sure to go the extra step in welding and diamond weld over the top for extra support. Make sure you have the tranny in that you want to keep before having the drive shaft shortened, and for best results make up new fuel and brake lines (not cut and splice together with hose..fixed that mistake for several poorly done mods.)
Like you, I prefer the look of a shorty. I was considering cutting the frame in an irregular pattern on both sides and putting a plate over the entire welded area, on the inside. Thanks.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:30 AM   #7
Fred50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketKing View Post
I cut mine down and it was easier than I thought. You can check out my build thread if you are interested
I will check it out. I am somewhat concerned about cutting and rewelding the side panels of the bed (fleetside) so that is difficult to see the joints. Does your thread explain the tools you used when cutting the panels? Thank you for your response.
Fred
Old 02-23-2013, 12:41 AM   #8
buckskins4ever

We shortened a bed awhile back, but my dad was the master behind that(he was a body shop owner). If I remember what he did with the bedsides was to use draw it out with a black marker the line you want the finished length to be at......then draw another line 1 inch in front of that line so that it will actually be 1 inch longer at this point, and cut meticulously on the line....(you will have the bed off for this) While you have cut off the bed front, you should be able to drill out the spot welds and peel off the remainder bed sid that wrapped around the corner. Then on the inch longer line, make a cut with snips every inch to the final length line. then place the bed front back in place so that your final length line is lined up with the bed front (cab side) and clamp at top and bottom. Start to tap tabbs around corner thus wrapping new side on then weld it up. you should have a real nice finished look that will look original.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:57 AM   #9
Fred50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskins4ever View Post
We shortened a bed awhile back, but my dad was the master behind that(he was a body shop owner). If I remember what he did with the bedsides was to use draw it out with a black marker the line you want the finished length to be at......then draw another line 1 inch in front of that line so that it will actually be 1 inch longer at this point, and cut meticulously on the line....(you will have the bed off for this) While you have cut off the bed front, you should be able to drill out the spot welds and peel off the remainder bed sid that wrapped around the corner. Then on the inch longer line, make a cut with snips every inch to the final length line. then place the bed front back in place so that your final length line is lined up with the bed front (cab side) and clamp at top and bottom. Start to tap tabbs around corner thus wrapping new side on then weld it up. you should have a real nice finished look that will look original.
Thank you for the response. I am not sure I understand what you have described, so I will look at the bed I have and may write to you again.
Fred
Old 02-23-2013, 12:59 AM   #10
buckskins4ever

its a long winded instruction, but all in all pretty easy if you just take your time.
Old 02-23-2013, 01:19 PM   #11
RocketKing

I did not shorten the bed itself, I found two short bed bedsides instead
Old 02-23-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
cdowns

lots of the real wham bam easy as pie ones end up in the dumpster as the final result// or if they make it back on the road they dont drive straight but in a constant circile
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 03:14 PM   #13
RexDodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred50! View Post
I am new to this site and am interested in information and feed back about converting a long wheel base pickup to a short one. This subject has probably been discussed previously. Any help with personal experience or links to other sites or information would be appreciated. I should mention that I have more than beginner's skills in welding (own a mig and plasma cutter).
Fred
Welcome to the site Fred. This is a fun but tedious project. I did this last year on mine. After trying to find a rust free shortbed I finally made the decision to cut mine as I could not afford the new bed sides. You will find many great write ups on cutting how to. It is a total of 20" cut out if you are going to the standard 115" wheel base. The frame isn't bad. Most don't realized the true shape of these beds until you take a section out. They taper ever so slightly front and rear. THAT is what makes it so challenging to get your body lines correct. Like many here I have a build thread that you can find details. Measure, measure and measure more prior to your cuts. Most of all have fun!
RexDodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:58 PM   #14
Fred50!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketKing View Post
I did not shorten the bed itself, I found two short bed bedsides instead
I did look at your cherry bomb build thread and noticed you had bought short sides. I noticed the frame staggered cut also. Originally I was considering installing an LS motor and electronic auto, but reading some of the thread comments I am rethinking taking this on.
Fred
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 07:17 PM   #15
Fred50!

Thanks for your comments. I am looking for a project to occupy some time and to create something, not just purchase someone else's build. Shortening the frame does not intimidate me, but cutting and welding the sides does. I currently have a 68 frame and 2 sets of bed sides, so I have some extra parts if I don't get it right the first time. I will look at your build then think about how to proceed.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-23-2013, 07:54 PM   #16
jmking9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinkermc View Post
You need to cut out 12 inches out from under the cab. And 8 inches (not 10) off the back of the frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdowns View Post
lots of the real wham bam easy as pie ones end up in the dumpster as the final result// or if they make it back on the road they dont drive straight but in a constant circile
As far as shortening the frame goes, if you have the proper tools and basic fab skills, It is VERY doable. If you lack either one of those two things, or dont have access to them, I would look for a short frame and move everthing over. But, if you feel confortable, you should go for it. Plus, think of all the fun you'll have driving in circles!
Old 02-23-2013, 09:08 PM   #17
Fred50!

I do have the proper tools, time and space to do the work. I have not worked with thin metal, such as the bed sides, but have several decades of working on heavier material. My neighbors might not think my driving in circles would be anything but normal! Thanks for your comments.
Fred
Old 02-24-2013, 12:06 AM   #18
mrsmothers

It took me two weeks to cut my lwb down
Posted via Mobile Device
mrsmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:09 AM   #19
mrsmothers

If you have questions pm me
Posted via Mobile Device
mrsmothers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:44 AM   #20
Fred50!

Thanks for the offer. A couple of people have offered some methods in the last 2 days. After I consider these I will probably contact you. Again thanks!
Fred
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #21
dajn
Account Suspended

I think swb pickups are cool but i couldnt imagine hating my long box so bad that i would go through this much work to make it a shortie. I see nine out of ten people that attempt this conversion banging their head against their garage wall after a couple days of working on it wondering why they even attempted it. I like long box pickups but i understand that most like swb. Goodluck with your conversion and i hope it goes well for you. If you have the skills to do it then more power to you.
Posted via Mobile Device
dajn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 AM   #22
dbstepside

my dad and i have shortened many trucks over the years. we however have always found short beds but the doing the frame isn't too much of a job. the last one we did we did it start to finish in about 3 hours. good luck with the project.
dbstepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 05:30 AM   #23
Luci Fur

Im suprised no one has posted this link for you.

I used this to shorten my frame.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=123624

As for cutting down the boxsides, IMO it is easier to disassemble the box and shorten the bedsides that way.

Although this thread has alot of good info, starts on post #195

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...=223158&page=8

Last edited by Luci Fur; 02-24-2013 at 05:49 AM.
Luci Fur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:32 PM   #24
Fred50!

Thanks for these links. I am eager to read them. currently I have one lwb bed disassembled and will be working on it first.
Fred
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-24-2013, 03:03 PM   #25
Fred50!

I have looked at the 2 links you provided. They are very informative. Thanks.
Fred