The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2013, 10:29 AM   #1
flips72

power steering problems

i have a 2006 crew cab z71, and lately the power steering seems to be going out, but it just does it sometimes when you first start it and now its getting worse. anyone had a problem like this and what solutions did you come up with. thanks any help would be appreciated.
flips72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 12:30 PM   #2
pound41

Re: power steering problems

I cannot speak specifically about an 06 but we have 3 2000-03 and several friends with 03- and 04's all have had atleast one pump replaced a few have had multiple. My Dad old retired mechanic said really cheap design for a truck. They all just snapped the shafts. Mine had some of the symptoms you described. I was turning on wet and dry pavement in a parking lot started turning on wet when it hit the dry felt it grab and felt it snap and that was it. less than 30K on truck It now has 125k on it so this one has done well. Hopefully they beefed it up for 06's and beyond I am sure some guys with newer trucks will let you know
Good Luck
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #3
flips72

thanks for the reply, i guess i will start with the pump and go from there, its the cheapest place to start, keep your fingers crossed.
Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
rkn463

Quote:
Originally Posted by flips72 View Post
i have a 2006 crew cab z71, and lately the power steering seems to be going out, but it just does it sometimes when you first start it and now its getting worse. anyone had a problem like this and what solutions did you come up with. thanks any help would be appreciated.
My 04 2 wheel drive has a similar problem. When it first manifested it only did it once it was well warmed up and first idled down after several miles. Every morning coming into the parking garage was an adventure as I suddenly had no power steering. Just a little gas and it was back. Now it does it when I first start it too. I'll be installing a new pump soon. Mine has 220k miles and this will be the first belt driven accessory to fail, so I'm not complaining.

-Richard
Old 03-04-2013, 02:41 PM   #5
bluec10

Any chance you could have a leak in one of the lines?
2019 BMW R1250 GSA - Yahoooooooo
1979 Honda GL 1000 - retro touring at its best.

Past:
'05 Sierra 4x4 - Had 270,000 KM and running well when it was written-off by a stop sign runner.
'94 F-150 from the "F word" company. I'll admit it...good truck. Sold what was left of it for $800 to a guy who came to pick it up at 11:00 PM with cash in hand. Hmm.
'79 Sierra Grande (Black) organ donor - perfect rebuildable 4-bolt 350 and a good TH350.
'76 Sierra Grande (Orange) - hate isn't too strong a word. Kid who bought it turned it into a hot rod.
'68 C-10 R.I.P. - Dad's old truck...too far gone to resurrect.
'59 C-50 - with hoist. Truck is gone, wife isn't. Nuff said.
bluec10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:41 PM   #6
flips72

thanks guys for the replies, it was the pump.changed it out yesterday feels like a brand new truck again.
Old 03-05-2013, 08:22 PM   #7
Boog
laying low

Thanks for the update.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:47 PM   #8
GASoline71
"I ain't nobody, dork."

I am on the 2nd new pump in my '06 2500HD. When I bought the truck, I could barely move the wheel unless the truck was moving. Noticed it during the initial test drive at the dealer. So they replaced it at their cost. Worked great for about a year. I had an extended warranty on the rig, and had the same dealer install a new pump for the same problems as when I bought it. Worked great... for about a year.

Now here I am again, with the pump failing again. Truck has 32" tires on it... so I'm sure thats not helping any, but that's what was on the rig when I bought it. So when I needed new tires I bought the same size.

Did a little research, and found that there are several TSB's from GM outlining problems with the power steering systems in this generation of trucks. But no recalls, and nothing to be relaced at GM's expense.

Gary

My 1972 GMC 1500 Super Custom (Creeping Death) "long term" build thread.

The Rebuild of Creeping Death after the wreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by LONGHAIR View Post
I would never rebuild a 305.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prostreetC-10 View Post
I love using vacuum gauges as part of the carb tuning process. I hook the gauge to the inside of my garbage can and leave it there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv D View Post
Remember Murphys 2nd law of mechanical relationships... "OPPOSING COMPONENTS ATTEMPTING TO OCCUPY THE SAME SPACE, AT THE SAME TIME, GENERALLY END UP OCCUPYING ADJOINING SPACE AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OIL PAN"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cableguy0 View Post
Its cheaper to listen to advice given when you ask for help than it is to ignore everyone and wait for carnage.
GASoline71 is offline   Reply With Quote