The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-23-2013, 10:36 PM   #1
70CHEVYBB

car or truck headers

I am putting a 468 in my 70 lwb. I am now thinking I want to keep the exhaust above the bottom of the frame. Should I use car headers to do this or will truck headers work. I have already painted and cleared the frame but I think I will have to cut the holes in the cross member to run the exhaust through. I am going to use 3" stainless and think it will hang to low.
70CHEVYBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Re: car or truck headers

You will need to cut holes in your cross member. I used 4" pipe to gusset those areas. Lemons headers here in Paso Robles made the custom full length headers, but shorties or cast manifolds would do if you don't have too radical a motor. Sorry, the image is upside down, this iPad seems to do,that for some reason.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
70CHEVYBB

looks like I will have to change the trans cross member also. Can I just take the upper support off that angles from the top of the frame down?
Old 02-23-2013, 11:45 PM   #4
ItsRandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vogel View Post
You will need to cut holes in your cross member. I used 4" pipe to gusset those areas. Lemons headers here in Paso Robles made the custom full length headers, but shorties or cast manifolds would do if you don't have too radical a motor. Sorry, the image is upside down, this iPad seems to do,that for some reason.
Posted via Mobile Device
That exhaust system looks great! Custom Lemons headers = BIG money! What does a custom set of Lemons cost?
ItsRandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 11:54 PM   #5
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70CHEVYBB View Post
looks like I will have to change the trans cross member also. Can I just take the upper support off that angles from the top of the frame down?
The only reason I made a new cross member was to put in a TKO600, if you are staying with the stock tranny, modification shouldn't be too difficult.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsRandy View Post
That exhaust system looks great! Custom Lemons headers = BIG money! What does a custom set of Lemons cost?
If you go to the Lemons site they have all the costs, yea, they aren't cheap, but they fit well. Mine had to be made to clear all the clutch linkage etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 12:02 AM   #6
ItsRandy

Quote:
I am putting a 468 in my 70 lwb. I am now thinking I want to keep the exhaust above the bottom of the frame. Should I use car headers to do this or will truck headers work. I have already painted and cleared the frame but I think I will have to cut the holes in the cross member to run the exhaust through. I am going to use 3" stainless and think it will hang to low.
Cut the pass thru in your cross member regardless of which headers you run, you will like the results.

I wanted headers that hang no lower than the frame but couldn't bring myself to spend $1500 - $2000 on headers. Ended up using Hooker SuperComp's with 3 1/2 inch collectors...they hang kinda' low. If you are running an automatic you will find you won't be able to use your stock trans linkage if the collectors tuck up too tightly in the frame...there will be interference. I had to modify my linkage a bit an my headers hang a bit below the frame rail. I have a little over 3000 miles on my truck and haven't bottomed out on my collectors yet.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2013, 12:13 AM   #7
ItsRandy

Quote:
I'm running a 4l80e automatic and used my stock trans cross member.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2013, 12:20 AM   #8
70CHEVYBB

I am not going to lower mine other than I have new small block springs in the front rather than big block springs. I do think I am going to still put the mufflers in the stock location between the drive shaft and trailing arm. most likely super 40's.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:23 AM   #9
HotRod C/10

I think guys are using chevelle/camaro headers that are a bit shorter in height for clearance.

-1976 SILVERADO
YUBA GOLD/NEUTRAL (2-TONE)
HotRod C/10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:13 AM   #10
35spline

I got got my BBC headers off a board member. 14 ga 2" tubes and not below the frame. I think they were around $550 bare metal. I will go through my receipts for the details and try and get some pics. If you have a lowered truck these are nice. I think they come from an exhaust shop in WA.
35spline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:27 AM   #11
midniteblues

I'm useing/trying these 69 camaro black jack cheapy headers only cause i allready had them they clear everything frame wise great even without trimming the 67 rails but when i mocked a t400 in it the linkage/bracket from the frame too the trans didnt clear witch is fixable by useing one of them aftermarket shifter linkages that dont attach too the frame only the trans an colum.

from my pic you can see that the e brake cable will really close but should be ok

they do exit right at the factory automatic crossmember so that is a issue too deal with I removed the factory manual trans cm just for simplicitys sake with everthing else
I'm building a custom cm with hoops for the exshaust too pass through.
with the auto trans in it there was a lil' more room between the cm and collectors to be able to go over the cm but with the 4spd with the auto cm the cm has too be moved forward a bit and doesnt even leave any space to bolt the collectors too the headers

so far amazingly they seem to clear all my clutch parts but i still only have it in mock up so far due too a home project but the headers are leaveing the end of this week for blasting and coating they were new two yrs. ago and only have around 500 mi. on them they really look crappy from sitting in the car they were in but they didnt leak(yet) and easy to get all the plugs I was a bit surprized that the cheap headers "worked" so far
Attached Images

'74 heald super bronc vt8. tecumseh powered moon rover.
midniteblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 PM   #12
35spline

I got my BBC headers from Carbs Unlimited in Kent WA. Not the best pics but you probably can see they are well above the frame. They came bare metal and it's my coating that is not holding up real well, no fault of the header.

[IMG][/IMG]
[IMG][/IMG]
35spline is offline   Reply With Quote