The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-27-2013, 06:42 PM   #1
69Rumbler

paint ?

so i want to paint my truck .. i found a shop to do it and everything already .. but i dont want them to use some cheap ass paint so i want to buy the paint my self ..
any Ideas which paint is a good one ?
Old 02-27-2013, 07:02 PM   #2
54belair

Re: paint ?

P P G, always had good luck with it--even an amateur can usually get a good (relatively) smooth lay. I started my amateur painting using acrylic emamel. Now I only use base clear---lot better results. good luck.
1966 chevelle ss

Dont always go the cheapest route--You can save yourself into the poorhouse!
My Build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=489030
54belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
hayhauler71

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54belair View Post
P P G, always had good luck with it--even an amateur can usually get a good (relatively) smooth lay. I started my amateur painting using acrylic emamel. Now I only use base clear---lot better results. good luck.
ppg dbu or dbc paint with concept 2002 clear I have had great luck with the truck in my avatar was painted on my garage and turned out great
Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 PM   #4
Lee H

It all depends on what you are looking for as an end result and what your budget is. A good, shiny, durable surface for a daily driver or a garage queen. A nice acrylic urethane goes for about $200 a gallon plus hardener. For base/clear, a decent base is about $500 a gallon, clear is about $200 a gallon.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
SS Tim

Remember it is not just the paint but the paint system so reducers and any other additives really need to be the same brand and system. That starts with the primer and filler to an extent as well. Have you talked with them about paints, the brands they use and if they will spray yours and stand behind it? Walk-ins to an auto paint store are not going to get "shop prices".
SS Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #6
big mike71

If I didn't trust them to pick the paint, I wouldn't trust them to paint the truck.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:13 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

Talking Re: paint ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike71 View Post
If I didn't trust them to pick the paint, I wouldn't trust them to paint the truck.
Times 2!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:32 PM   #8
hugger6933

I use PPG and its kin folk in my shop [body shop that is ] and am very happy with it. The above poster made a great point you need to pick a system and stick with it, I know some line crossing can as has been done but lets not over complecate things if we don't have to just for simplicitys sake. I also agree that if you don't trust the paint guy to use his DISCOUNTS and his paint outlets to use the paints that he is use to dealing with and is more familar with maybe he is not the guy for you. Also if you think your gonna get the short end of the stick by your paint man on the quality of the materials he uses on the paintjobs he puts his name on maybe you should keep looking.Some other things that you should talk out with the paint shop guy are real time frames, take a shop tour go back in ten days see what has moved or not moved. Look in the parking lot to see what the tec guys drive if there are some hot rods or custom trucks or some sort of souped up something that helps meaning they are into cars maybe as much as we are and know what it is like to lay out hardearned coin for work and knowing that the truck is your baby and they just know how it feels cause they have been there and are there and can and will put themselves in your position helping you get not only your monys worth but their best instead of their normal good enough. Talk to some that had them do their truck or car and see what they have to say about the shop ,word of mouth is the best bussiness card you can get or on the other hand it can also be your worst publicity nightmare.Goodluck hope you can garner some useful info from this and you get exactly what you are wanting and hoping for. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #9
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

Quote:
Originally Posted by big mike71 View Post
x3!!!!

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:48 PM   #10
hugger6933

I also meant to say before the ramble started, comunacate! it is key to talk it out to make sure there are no misunderstandings comunacation may be the most important thing weather in a realationship with your wife or girlfriend[hope not both] son or daughter, mom or dad ,boss or your bodyman /mechanic. It is the key to all sides being happy
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #11
69Rumbler

Thanks for all the input ! I agree with you . I Gould just keep on looking for a Diffenrt painter it's just so expensive lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #12
Andy4639
Old member

Cool Re: paint ?

Well whatever you decide talk with them be up front about how much money you want in the job and how much time it will take. It's your ride so if he doesn't like you asking questions move on.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 10:58 PM   #13
buckskins4ever

Honestly, the paint portion of your body work and painting isnt the biggest portion of your expense. Body, prep, cleanup, cut and polish (LABOR) is the large expenses you are looking at. If you really want a superior paint, stick with Dupont, Sickens, PPG, and Sherwin Williams.
But I would pick your color and have your body shop buy the materials. If you are worried about them jacking the price up, them mandate you see all invoices, and break down expenses. Figure $75-$110 and hour for labor. Depending on your quality of work sought after.....you sill face a $6000 to $12000 paint work easily.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 11:20 PM   #14
piecesparts
Parts and more parts

Most shops have a paint that they use and are comfortable painting. That being stated, have you discussed the fact that you want to bring another brand of paint into their shop, for them to use. Have they told you that the cost may be different than what may have been quoted in any past discussions. Their costs are centered around what they can make from product as well as labor in many cases. I agree, if you want quality, then choose quality, but also choose a shop that uses quality products and are capable of applying it to a vehicle.

As stated above, the true involvement in a paint job is the preparation of the body and the finishing capabilities of the painter. A good quality paint product is expensive, but the knowledge of how that brand of paint is applied, the little nuances of what makes it lay right, without fisheyes or runs is what the painter has to know. I have used several brands over the years with PPG, House of Kolor, and Dupont being the brands that I would seriously consider. What does your painter like to use and what does his finished products look like with that paint?

Last edited by piecesparts; 02-27-2013 at 11:28 PM.
piecesparts is offline   Reply With Quote