The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-01-2013, 09:16 AM   #1
da_bears_da1

Cab mounting

As you can see below, we flipped the cab on its back yesterday using a hoist. Got me wondering what you guys are doing to mount the cab on and off of the frame. I know 4 guys can do this easily. With my son off at college, its just me and my buddy working on the truck. I know you can use a lift but that is just not in the budget

So, question is what creative ways are there to mount the cab with just a couple of guys?
Attached Images

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=566533
da_bears_da1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 09:45 AM   #2
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Re: Cab mounting

if you have 2 guys you can lay it on its side, put the frame next to it, and pull the 2 tires and wheels on the side by the cab, so the frame rests at an angle, you should be able to push it on
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
da_bears_da1

Could see how that would work but would hate to scratch up the frame I spent a month on. Thanks for the idea.

Old 03-01-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

another thought... I was doing one by myself, and I used a piece of plywood to slide the cab up on the frame, of course then the plywood was trapped and I had a tough time getting it out, but how about sliding the cab on with some 2x4's , and then just pulling them out of the way...
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:01 AM   #5
da_bears_da1

That might work. The stripped cab is not that heavy so we could slide it on then lift front and back boards out. Thanks!

Old 03-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #6
Bret B

I used a few 2x4's and copied a tool that I found on here. Cut 2 at 8ft lengths. Cut 4 spacers at 5.5inches. Cut 2 pieces at about 8~10 inches long. Finally, used a piece of 4x4 scrap I had as the center peices and cut to 2.5inches. Marked the center of 8ft lengths, centered the 8inch pieces parallel to the center mark, and inserted the 4x4 piece between them. Clamped and drilled a 1/2inch hole through stack-up, and inserted a 12inch 1/2-13 threaded rod, a couple fender washers and nut on each end, and tightened up. Placed the 5.5in spacers as support between the 8ft lengths and screwed together. Drilled another 1/2in hole in the middle of the 8in pieces to attach it to an engine hoist, cherry picker, and then slide and 1/2-13 bolt, 8 inches long through the stack, fender washer, nut and tighten. Slide tool into cab and bring to within an inch or so of the cab door openings, passenger and drivers side. Place a stack up of 2x4's or 4x4's as a shim between the tool and the cab roof, and gently raise boom till full contact is made, and cab is supported by cherry picker and tool. It may take a couple repositioning attempts just to make sure you get it centered. I can't find the link for the picture I used, but can take a snap shot and post it when I get home tonight. Best part is, the wood can be reused when you're done.
Bret B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 11:21 AM   #7
da_bears_da1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret B View Post
I used a few 2x4's and copied a tool that I found on here. Cut 2 at 8ft lengths. Cut 4 spacers at 5.5inches. Cut 2 pieces at about 8~10 inches long. Finally, used a piece of 4x4 scrap I had as the center peices and cut to 2.5inches. Marked the center of 8ft lengths, centered the 8inch pieces parallel to the center mark, and inserted the 4x4 piece between them. Clamped and drilled a 1/2inch hole through stack-up, and inserted a 12inch 1/2-13 threaded rod, a couple fender washers and nut on each end, and tightened up. Placed the 5.5in spacers as support between the 8ft lengths and screwed together. Drilled another 1/2in hole in the middle of the 8in pieces to attach it to an engine hoist, cherry picker, and then slide and 1/2-13 bolt, 8 inches long through the stack, fender washer, nut and tighten. Slide tool into cab and bring to within an inch or so of the cab door openings, passenger and drivers side. Place a stack up of 2x4's or 4x4's as a shim between the tool and the cab roof, and gently raise boom till full contact is made, and cab is supported by cherry picker and tool. It may take a couple repositioning attempts just to make sure you get it centered. I can't find the link for the picture I used, but can take a snap shot and post it when I get home tonight. Best part is, the wood can be reused when you're done.
Thanks! Sounds like a great approach. Would love to see pictures. Could use the hoist to lift the cab and roll the frame under it.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old 03-01-2013, 11:48 AM   #8
Bret B

Found the original post I based my tool off of. Post #3 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=346948

I'll snap a shot of mine tonight if you still need help, but I think you can get a really good idea of what to do. One thing to note is, the spacers between the 2x4's at the ends, should be moved inboard about 18inches or so because it will make contact with the cherry picker arm if you're cab is lower to the ground. It wasn't a big deal when I realized it, I just moved the spacers in, and re-screwed them in and shazzam, it was on...ur...off.

My wife helped by watching on the opposite side so I didn't hit anything while pulling it back over the engine, and not hit the ceiling. It may not look stable, but it really worked well, and being a one-man-band, it's awesome. This site saved my back and few buddies backs too.
.................|_/(0)\_ll____/(0)_l.

Last edited by Bret B; 03-01-2013 at 11:49 AM. Reason: changed post number
Bret B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #9
da_bears_da1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bret B View Post
Found the original post I based my tool off of. Post #3 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=346948

I'll snap a shot of mine tonight if you still need help, but I think you can get a really good idea of what to do. One thing to note is, the spacers between the 2x4's at the ends, should be moved inboard about 18inches or so because it will make contact with the cherry picker arm if you're cab is lower to the ground. It wasn't a big deal when I realized it, I just moved the spacers in, and re-screwed them in and shazzam, it was on...ur...off.

My wife helped by watching on the opposite side so I didn't hit anything while pulling it back over the engine, and not hit the ceiling. It may not look stable, but it really worked well, and being a one-man-band, it's awesome. This site saved my back and few buddies backs too.
Excellent! The pictures really helped out a lot. We have already put the cherry picker away before our snow flew and now have about a foot on the ground. Think I will adapt this to have the 4x4s on the outside as well and then run a large eye hook through the 4x4s and lift it using the hoist attached to the outside points.

This forum is great! Knew if I asked, someone would have a great idea on how to do this.

Old 03-01-2013, 04:36 PM   #10
1966shortwide

i see a chain hoist above cab, put a 2 by 12 board or any thing wide like that forward of door opening sticking out both side's and tie a chain each side of cab , i used a cherry picker under middle of 2 by 12 with a steel plate under middle bolted to it with a pivot point bolted to picker with board as foward as you can get it will be balanced fairly well, thats how i did mine, worked like a charm... oh if you don't have roof clearance leave your wheel's and tire's off and slide frame under, same principal as other post's but i already had 2by 12 leftover when i built my garage so i did not have to buy anything, good luck....

Last edited by 1966shortwide; 03-01-2013 at 04:51 PM.
1966shortwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 08:14 PM   #11
da_bears_da1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1966shortwide View Post
i see a chain hoist above cab, put a 2 by 12 board or any thing wide like that forward of door opening sticking out both side's and tie a chain each side of cab , i used a cherry picker under middle of 2 by 12 with a steel plate under middle bolted to it with a pivot point bolted to picker with board as foward as you can get it will be balanced fairly well, thats how i did mine, worked like a charm... oh if you don't have roof clearance leave your wheel's and tire's off and slide frame under, same principal as other post's but i already had 2by 12 leftover when i built my garage so i did not have to buy anything, good luck....
Thank you! Amazing how many good ideas you can get from this forum.

Old 03-01-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
Alan's Classic
1 thing at a time is progress.

pic
Attached Images

Alan's Classic is offline   Reply With Quote