The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-02-2013, 01:05 AM   #1
doublearrow

air condtioner

I have read a thread before where a guy posted parts to swap his major ac parts to run r134a but I cannot locate it now.
I have a 1987 350 4x4 with the factory system. The compressor is leaking and it doesn't cool worth a darn. I was hoping someone could help me with what I need to purchase and replace so I could get it charged with the new stuff and have a functioning ac. Thanks for any help
doublearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 04:24 PM   #2
Bowed

Re: air condtioner

This has my attention , I would like to get mine to function better too . Besides upgrading basic AC components , I was wondering what fixes there are , for a higher speed fan to move the air better .
Bowed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 07:46 PM   #3
tucsonjwt

Re: air condtioner

On the two conversions I had done, it was just the orifice and I think new lines (because mine were leaking at the fittings) and different oil. As I recall, the initial concerns about retrofitting to 134A were somewhat exaggerated.

But, the big problem is that 134A does not cool as well as R12. Some posters here say you need a different condenser for 134A. Here in Tucson there are auto repair shops that still have R12 and will get your old system back to running on R12 without any hassle - they say much cheaper than converting to 134A and operates better.

If you have the $$$ - I would convert the whole operation to Vintage Air electric controlled A/C. I believe I read around $1200-$1500 for parts kit, then add local labor or DIY.

My current 134A conversion on my 83 C20 big block cools OK even in the Tucson summer heat (110 + at times) with I think all stock parts, but my old 76 C20 small block with stock R12 cooled waaay better.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote