The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-03-2013, 09:02 PM   #1
buckskins4ever

Vintage Air Underdash Cool Only Air Conditioner Kit

Ok, I have already put a ton of money into my Billet bracket kit, Alternator, pulleys, powers teering pump and belts, and have EVERYTHING exactly the way it needs to be as well as working perfect. Thus being said, Here in Iowa we can actually get some really hot days during the summer, and to get the wife to ride with me I will need AC.
I came across this Vintage Air Retro Styled Underdash Cool Only MarkIV AC kit. Number 672001VHY from Vintage Air and priced at $298 through Summitracing.

Has anyone used this??? Seems it would best serve my needs without me having to throw out everything I have done and spend not only $1300 for the Vintage Air replacement AC setup as original, but another $2000-$2500 for a Billet bracket and pullet setup just to add the Compressor.

opinions Needed.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #2
Boog
laying low

Re: Vintage Air Underdash Cool Only Air Conditioner Kit

Regardless of the type of incab ac unit you use you will still have to add a compressor to the engine. Unless I am misunderstanding you. ?
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:53 PM   #3
Lee H

That unit is only the AC side of a system and only the under dash part. There's a whole lot more needed to get a functioning system.
Posted via Mobile Device

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:15 PM   #4
Andy4639
Old member

Wink Re: Vintage Air Underdash Cool Only Air Conditioner Kit

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckskins4ever View Post
Ok, I have already put a ton of money into my Billet bracket kit, Alternator, pulleys, powers teering pump and belts, and have EVERYTHING exactly the way it needs to be as well as working perfect. Thus being said, Here in Iowa we can actually get some really hot days during the summer, and to get the wife to ride with me I will need AC.
I came across this Vintage Air Retro Styled Underdash Cool Only MarkIV AC kit. Number 672001VHY from Vintage Air and priced at $298 through Summitracing.

Has anyone used this??? Seems it would best serve my needs without me having to throw out everything I have done and spend not only $1300 for the Vintage Air replacement AC setup as original, but another $2000-$2500 for a Billet bracket and pullet setup just to add the Compressor.

opinions Needed.
If you want AC u have to have a compressor on the engine. + all the engine bay components that go with it. Condensor, evaperator, acumlator, some type of expanision valve and hoses.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:49 PM   #5
buckskins4ever

Thanks for the input guys. gonna call Vintage Air in the morning to find out more on this particular unit. Front what I can tell it has a build in compressor. If it comes to be different than that, this truck wont get AC.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #6
Square_78

Maybe its like a AC unit in the window of your house? haha. Hanging under the dash with a hot air vent to the outside. Might work you know.

"I refuse to go disc brakes. I actually love drum brakes. It makes for an adventure." - 50bomb

1978 Chevy shop truck - static 6/8"
1970 GMC 1500 - Accuair eLevel Resto-mod http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=537497
Square_78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #7
Andy4639
Old member

From what I saw on the website it's just for a inside unit that can be retro looking. The engine parts have to be bought as well if they aren't already on the vehicle. I could be wrong but I don't see any kind of compressor in the kit. I see the fan blower motor.
U can see where the hoses connect also on the line sticking up.
This is just a retro look for the vehicle.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:45 PM   #8
buckskins4ever

Andy, I thought that as well. But I am an HVAC tech and the copper line coming from the right side of the unit appears to be a Service Valve. Which on our units is used to check pressures and add refrigerant. It looks to have two humps on the rear......one has to be blower motor and the other on the same side as the copper line should be the compressor. It says that the unit comes with a drain line which is also known as a condensate line which is a result of refrigerant being cooled.
Like I said, definitely gonna have to call Vintage air to confirm.
Old 03-03-2013, 11:58 PM   #9
PHAT TONY

Keep us posted please....
1970 Chevrolet C/10-Sold
1968 GMC 4X4-Project
1968 Chevrolet C/10 Pro Street
1970 GMC 3/4 Ton-Parts
1997 2WD 2DR Yukon-Sweet
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=335664
PHAT TONY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 AM   #10
Boog
laying low

That unit is only the evaporator and blower and controls. Hoses connect to that unit and run through the firewall to the condensor and compressor under the hood just like any other ac system. The compressor is engine driven in all auto applications.
91 Chevy sportside, Tahoe, Yukon & GMC Crewcab All GM..'nuff said.

I stand for the flag and kneel at the cross
Boog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:35 AM   #11
Andy4639
Old member

Quote:
Andy, I thought that as well. But I am an HVAC tech and the copper line coming from the right side of the unit appears to be a Service Valve. Which on our units is used to check pressures and add refrigerant. It looks to have two humps on the rear......one has to be blower motor and the other on the same side as the copper line should be the compressor. It says that the unit comes with a drain line which is also known as a condensate line which is a result of refrigerant being cooled.
Like I said, definitely gonna have to call Vintage air to confirm.
Let us know for sure. U would think they would give u all the info on the unit in the depscription of it. I can see where the questionable part is. It should say add on are part of are something are give a link for the other stuff needed to make it functional.

Upstate SC GM Truck Club

Old 03-04-2013, 12:41 AM   #12
buckskins4ever

I will post after I talk with them tomorrow guys...thanks for all the replies.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:59 AM   #13
skorpioskorpio

It has to have something on the outside of the cab, otherwise it can only function as a heater. There is no magic, an air conditioner always creates heat. An air conditioner doesn't cool it just transfers the heat to somewhere else. There is no such thing as an air conditioner of any sort that can sit in a space unvented to somewhere else and leave the air cooler than it is when it's not running. Sorry but there is more to the picture, has to be.
skorpioskorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:32 AM   #14
jamesi20

Mark IV Under Dash Cool Only - Complete System
The complete system starts with the Vintage Air Mark IV Evaporator Kit. It also includes a 508 Sanden compressor, mounting bracket, parallel flow condenser, hose kit with dryer and safety switch from TBI Industries. Design you own system by choosing components from the following options.
SKU 672001-VHY-KIT
Hose Kit w/black dryer
Standard Hose Kit w/dryer (+$89.00)
Ex. L Hose Kit w/dryer(4' longer #6 & #10) (+$99.00)
Safety Switch
Binary Switch (High/Low Pressure Switch) (+$14.00)
Trinary Switch (High/Low + Fan Switch) (+$35.00)
Compressor
Plain Compressor (+$175.00)
Polished Compressor (+$215.00)
Chrome Compressor (+$260.00)
jamesi20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #15
buckskins4ever

Well, after trying to reach Vontage Air for more than 5 hours today, I finally got in touch with some guy that began by answering the question wrong then when I elaborated about the Compressor and Drier.......he backtracked.
So as many have mentioned, this is merely a VINTAGE look to what someone would have had to ADD-ON an under dash unit instead of shelling out the bucks for factory option. Looks like my little hugger is staying non-ac. Im not gonna fork over $3500-$4000 to redo my billet brackets, and add all the components to get a little air for a few days.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:34 PM   #16
~Whitey~

Quote:
Looks like my little hugger is staying non-ac. Im not gonna fork over $3500-$4000 to redo my billet brackets, and add all the components to get a little air for a few days.
I'd like to add AC to mine as well someday, but that's ALOT of bones for the aftermarket AC's. Might be better off finding some original parts from an AC truck and making them work. Those under dash units are hideous anyway.
Old 03-04-2013, 05:00 PM   #17
ChevyCruizer
17's too small

I think the motor for the blower mounts in-between the two humps. The two humps are where the fan blades are and match up to the two vents on the front of the unit.

Quote:
It looks to have two humps on the rear......one has to be blower motor and the other on the same side as the copper line should be the compressor.Like I said, definitely gonna have to call Vintage air to confirm.
68 C10 SWB SS 5 lug power disc brake conversion 2.5 inch drop spindles van tilt column Air Ride Technologies Cool Ride air bag kits Performance Online tubular upper control arms and shock relocator kits ECE super track panhard bar 1 piece side windows
ChevyCruizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:46 PM   #18
buckskins4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Whitey~ View Post
I'd like to add AC to mine as well someday, but that's ALOT of bones for the aftermarket AC's. Might be better off finding some original parts from an AC truck and making them work. Those under dash units are hideous anyway.
Its not the making the parts work thats such a big deal to me. Its the already expensive parts and billet Specialties Mid Mount Bracket kit I have mounted on the front of the motor. They dont make another bracket set other than their $2000-$2500 kit that accounts for the Sanden AC compressor. I could deal with the $1300 vintage Air OEM fit AC that replaces everything from my Heat only system with a Heat/AC system. I will keep looking for a reasonable priced billet setup that will accommodate the AC compressor, alternator, and power steering pump.
Attached Images

Old 03-04-2013, 07:12 PM   #19
buckskins4ever

Day may be getting better!! I got in touch with Billet Specialties and it appears they may be able to adapt a bracket to my current setup without breaking the bank. Brackets, hardware, pulley, and idlers for the AC compressor are part of another kit that matches mine pretty close. They are suppose to call me back with hopes of being not more than $300 for the setup.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:27 PM   #20
Lee H

That's great news. The Vintage Air kit for our trucks is a very good product. Easy to install, in cab stuff fits great, under hood stuff is minimum compared to the original stuff making for a very clean install. Mine keeps me toasty in the cool months and the A/C is like a meat locket when it's hot. I rarely have it on high, hot or cold.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #21
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Good luck with it, and sweet looking truck!
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:17 PM   #22
buckskins4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieselwrencher View Post
Good luck with it, and sweet looking truck!
Thanks Diesel.....I hear I gotta see this Corvette running 2 twin turbos!!!
Old 03-04-2013, 09:32 PM   #23
Dieselwrencher
6>8 Plugless........

Quote:
Thanks Diesel.....I hear I gotta see this Corvette running 2 twin turbos!!!
It only has one turbo on it right now. It had 2 turbos on it a while ago though. That might change if the time allows.
1972 Chevy Cheyenne Super K20 Long Step side tilt, tach, tow hooks, AC, 350 4 speed
1972 C10 Suburban Custom Deluxe
1969 Chevy milk truck
1971 Camaro RS 5.3 BTR STG3 Cam Super T10
1940 Ford 354 Hemi 46RH Ford 9" on air ride huge project

Tired of spark plugs? Check this out.
Dieselwrencher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:56 PM   #24
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Vintage Air Underdash Cool Only Air Conditioner Kit

Hope it works out for u man!

Upstate SC GM Truck Club