The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-04-2013, 06:11 PM   #1
rs74

Might have to change cabs.

The more I look at the cab the more I find. Not even sure where to start to find another one around here. Although I did find a custom deluxe cab with air. Mine is a silverado. I looked inside of it to see how much work it would be to switch over. This cab has never had a headliner, trim of any sort and not sure what else. There is nothing in the cab now except seatbelts. I don't know what year it is either I thought I got the vin right when I put it on my phone but something didn't come out right when I tried to decode it. 2GCEC14H4F120811.

Would it be too much work to switch everything over from my cab to it and make it a pw,pl cab. It looks like I would have to hold all the interior trim up and drill new holes to be able to put it up. I called another place and they wanted something like $1600 for a cab that was gutted. I think I can fix mine for much less.

1987 R10 shortie
rs74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
rs74

Re: Might have to change cabs.

Looks like this cab I looked at is an 85 Chevy made in Canada. I used the LMC book to figure out what it was. Is there anything that would give me problems switching all my silveado interior, wirings, and all the trim over. I didn't check to see if it had a dome light. The vin means nothing in the end just didn't know what year and what the cab was off of. It would still get titled as an 85 silverado.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 03-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #3
frog210

everything would switch over if you wanted the power windows and locks, just switch the doors also, get the wiring harness and you should be good with that
if you want to transfer your moldings and all that remember measure twice cut once
everything should be a direct swap, what year is your cab?

-I'm a valet and well I've driven BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche,Bentlys, fiats, Hondas, etc and well even do I like a few features, I love my shortbed, it dosent bore me out, just press on the gas and you'll remember why you love it.
frog210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
rs74

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog210 View Post
everything would switch over if you wanted the power windows and locks, just switch the doors also, get the wiring harness and you should be good with that
if you want to transfer your moldings and all that remember measure twice cut once
everything should be a direct swap, what year is your cab?
Mine is an 85 as well. I would pretty much be gutting the old dash and wiring and tranferring it all over to the new cab. Of course the owner wasn't there to tell me how much for it so I may be just thinking about all of it for nothing. If I do end up with it I am not thrilled about having to drill every hole to put all the trim back in place. It has good manual doors but I am putting my NOS GM doors on it when it goes back together. I didn't realize that custom deluxe cabs come with air. I thought they were all plain jane cabs. One thing I did like that my current cab doesn't have was that this one has the cab trim that is on the back of the cab.

I will be getting ahold of the owner tomorrow. I am sure he will be high priced as he is on all of his stuff. We will see.

1987 R10 shortie
Old 03-04-2013, 09:59 PM   #5
frog210

my 74 custom deluxe
has air and heater
if you need it get it

-I'm a valet and well I've driven BMWs, Mercedes, Porsche,Bentlys, fiats, Hondas, etc and well even do I like a few features, I love my shortbed, it dosent bore me out, just press on the gas and you'll remember why you love it.
frog210 is offline   Reply With Quote