The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-05-2013, 12:11 AM   #1
491tonchevrolet

49 11/2 ton I beam axle

Hello everybody I'm currently restoring a 1949 Chevrolet 1 1/2 ton truck but I'm wanting to keep the I beam axle because it fits the trucks application. My trouble is, is that although I want the I beam axle I don't want the wagon ride that comes with it. My question is this : Is there anyone that can help with info on an air bag modification but instead of lowering I would rather lift in some way... Bottom line I'm looking for a little comfort in the ride and I would like to use air. Any help/ suggestions is much appreciated. Thanks
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
491tonchevrolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
GBM

Re: 49 11/2 ton I beam axle

what level are your fabrication skills?

if you do a radius arm style front suspension, air bag brackets with incorporated radius arm link mounts could be easily made. I have made similar on my cnc plasma table.

I made a plate for the air bag, a bolt plate for the axle, some risers that interlocked and the risers came back behind the axle and had the mounts for a radius arm.

these could actually be made so that they bolt on as well, just depends on your fabrication skills level.
GBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
491tonchevrolet

GBM thank you for that info. I hadn't even condsidered radius arm suspension... If you have any photos of your project you referred to I would appreciate a look. Thanks again
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
GBM

I searched for pics and couldnt find any on my phone or any of the shop computers old and new.

I remember taking some, but thought it was such an odd request to build that way that I wouldnt ever have to do it again.

the concept is really simple though, if you know how a radius arm suspension set up works, this is the same only the mounts that go on the front end are designed for the straight axle to bolt on.

we used air ride on his and I wasnt ever really happy with the ride, but he loved it.

For consistancy (and in my own personal experience and opinnion) a coil spring would yield you a good dependable ride with little problems. If you want to raise and lower your truck though, air ride is nice for that.

I have an old willys flat fender truck that I am building for my son soon. I plan to use the original front end and 6 cyl out of my 50 model that I stole the body from for my mud racer. I thought about building a radius arm front on a custom built frame and coil spring it. If I do that soon, I will take lots of pics for you, but cannot garauntee it anytime real soon.

If I had some measurements I could probably make a prototype to fit your axle. I would need pics of your stuff and accurate measurements in order to design it in cad and cut it on my table.
GBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:10 PM   #5
mr48chev

I have a 1-1/2 ton and if it stays a big truck it will get a mid 70's 1 ton front and rear suspension out of a dualie. Banged up square body two wheel drive dualies can be found for reasonable prices around here and driven home.

You might look at taking the springs apart and modifying them to help them slide against each a bit better to smooth out the ride along with the right shocks and the choice of tires makes a big difference. Those trucks always seem to ride better with a couple of thousand pounds riding on the bed but that isn't productive gas mileage wise.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #6
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

mr48chev, too bad you're so far away. Saw this today.
one ton with 454 for $500
http://roanoke.craigslist.org/pts/3669481575.html
Attached Images

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #7
491tonchevrolet

GBM do you think the radius arm suspension will wear good as far as bushings as a daily driver. I intend to use the truck for my welding truck but I won't be hauling the welding gear all the time also I am interested in possibly having cut something out for me at some point
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-10-2013, 02:00 AM   #8
dicer

The newer ford truck at work has a straight axle more of a tube than a beam. It uses coil springs. So I guess a straight axle can ride good and do the job too.
dicer is offline   Reply With Quote