The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-07-2013, 06:16 PM   #1
Chevyllac

power steering for a 71 c10

Just wanted some advice from people who have installed power steering on their trucks. I have been looking at local junk yards to see if I can find the complete set up and I have had no luck, my question is do you guys think thats its a good idea to buy the kit from CPP that comes ready to install with brackets and hoses? Or should I just wait and see if one will pop up at the junk yard? I know that if I happen to find it at the junk yard the parts would be around $200 give or take but im running the risk of the parts not working properly, the PS kit from CPP is $600 what do u guys think?
Posted via Mobile Device
Chevyllac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #2
b.eddy's72

Re: power steering for a 71 c10

The kit from CCP is complete and a good price considering you dont have to spend $100 in gas driving around looking for all the parts. You can get most of the parts (mid 70's early 80's) from Auto Zone for about half that and then purchase the conversion bracket for the PS gearbox. You can also gat a 72 gear box that bolt direct. The 73 up stuff is a dime a dozen. Ive done 2 with 73 up stuff and its not bad.

Ya must have been movin cause I was haulin a*$ when I passed you
b.eddy's72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
big bad orange

http://www.performanceonline.com/196...ONVERSION-KIT/

I know you can get everything at the autoparts stores except the brackets, and I think the pump pulley
Old 03-08-2013, 02:29 AM   #4
Chevyllac

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.eddy's72 View Post
The kit from CCP is complete and a good price considering you dont have to spend $100 in gas driving around looking for all the parts. You can get most of the parts (mid 70's early 80's) from Auto Zone for about half that and then purchase the conversion bracket for the PS gearbox. You can also gat a 72 gear box that bolt direct. The 73 up stuff is a dime a dozen. Ive done 2 with 73 up stuff and its not bad.
So parts from 73-87 are direct bolt on with te exception of the gear box??
Posted via Mobile Device
Chevyllac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 02:43 AM   #5
mcmlxix
Collector of Projects

From 69 to 87 the gear boxes should swap out. The hose fitting on the gear box changed around the late 70's... I swapped a later 2wd PS box for my early 4WD box and the splined on the rag joint were different. I used a rag jount rebuild kit from the local auto parts store and was lucky enough to get part of the steering shaft from the newer truck with my used box and made it work....

The 73-87 PS pump brackets need to line up with your existing alternantor bracket. I believe they went to serpentine belts in 87 or 88.

D60 BIG BRAKE UPGRADE Click HERE
mcmlxix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:46 AM   #6
LSUMurse

Here is the write up I did on my experience with installing p/s on my '68.

Overall, it was one of the easier things I've done, and I've not really done anything most would consider difficult. I highly recommend the upgrade. Driving the truck is much more enjoyable now.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567609

As far as your actual question: If you can afford spending 2 - 3 times more than junkyard parts, I say go for it. I had a good amount of hassle finding brackets and pulleys that would all line up together. At least buying it from CPP should alleviate that problem. Otherwise, be patient and post WTB ads in the parts forum for the stuff you can't put together from the yard.

If your life is a joke, it appears death will be your punchline.
LSUMurse is offline   Reply With Quote