The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
Igorsgonemadd

Pulling motor

I'm pulling the tbi 454 out of my truck and need some advise, as I've never done it before. I plan on pulling the motor and tranny together and yes I have a leveler. First off, should I drop the transmission pan and drain the fluid before I pull it? I know even if I do that there is still fluid in the tq converter, what's the best way to keep that from leaking out the tailshaft? Also, do I need to remove the transmission crossmember or just the mount.

Power steering pressure line, is it easier to remove it from the pump or leave it attached to the pump and undo it from the box?

Motor mounts, do I need to jack the motor up some before the bolts will slide out?

Distributor, should I remove it before I pull the motor, just don't want to tear it up in the pulling process .

Pulling motor out, this is the part that makes me nervous. Where do I attatch the chains or should I get an engine lift plate and pull the tbi off and lift from there. If I use the chain and mount it to the heads or intake or wherever you guys tell me is best.....I'm assuming I need longer bolts there?

Mounting motor to stand. Can anyone tell me what bolts I need so I can already have them on hand. What size, how long? I will get grade 8. And which holes on the back of the block should I use to mount?

Unhooking fuel line from tbi, it's probably self explanatory when I get to it, haven't even looked yet. Do I need to relieve pressure off the system before I loosen line?

I'll probably have a few more after I start on it tonight. Any other tips or advise would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Posted via Mobile Device
Igorsgonemadd is offline   Reply With Quote