The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
Threadbaron

Best Seat option for a 72

I know there are plenty of threads that show different aftermarket seats but still thought I would throw this question(s) out and see if I could get some help in deciding which way to go.

I have had my K5 for around 6 years and drive in at times during the warmer months. I have pulled off the top and plan to keep it off. I will be using it throughout the summer but have pledged this year to get the seats covered/replaced. My Blazer is in primer right now and the seats currently have worn out original fabric. We do enjoy loading up the dogs to ride so they will be a part of it also.

I was thinking about getting them covered in Marine Vinyl like our boat seats so if caught overnight, etc in the rain then I did not have to worry about ruining good upholstery. Here are my options and pros/cons of each.
1) Original blazer seat covers
Overall best looking option, maybe not tough enough for what I will use it for. (Mine currently have houndstooth inserts)

2) Recovered seats in Marine Vinyl
Maybe best for use without a top, but not sure how comfortable or good looking they will be.

3) Replacement seats from another vehicle.
Probably most confortable, seat belts could be used easier, not sure how durable ...or....not sure how I would like the overall look of high back seats with the top off.

I know ultimately it's my decison based on "what I like" but I do enjoy hearing pros and cons of those who are already using one of the above options or have researched each as well. Not sure how much money plays into each of the above since I have not really priced each one and compared.

In addition if I go with option 3 which types and years of trucks/blazer/burbs, etc. have seats that fit in the K5 the best? I have a local salvage yard with a lot of these available if I choose to go that way.

Thanks in advance for the feedback, I really enjoy getting on here and seeing the builds!
Threadbaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:45 AM   #2
truckster

Re: Best Seat option for a 72

I have a cloth 60/40 split bench from a 98 Silverado in front and a matching Suburban 3rd row seat in back. The occasional rain just washes some of the off-road dust out.

Actually, the biggest problem I have with mine is that the fabric doesn't seem to be very UV resistant. I run without a top from as soon as I can stand the cold in the spring until I just can't stand the cold anymore in the fall, and after five seasons of that, the fabric is really showing some wear.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:01 PM   #3
Effeckt

I have seats up front from a 01 Silverado and the third row from a 01-06 Tahoe so that both the front and backs have the integrated shoulder belt built into them. Super comfortable and give me the added safety with the newer belts. I have been waffling on upholstery for them but I definitely think the marine grade vinyl may be a good route.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 PM   #4
The Grinnin Possum

The show, Fast and Loud did a resto chop job on a Bronco and had the seat reupholstered in marine fabric you will get several choices on colors and textures. You will still need to maintain most of them with a UV protector or they will eventually crack @ 7 years in my last boat and that was with it covered most of the time. bonus with the UV protector on the dogs and kids will slide right off the seat.

I was thinking about putting nice seats in mine and using either the waterproof canvas or neoprene seat covers when needed.

REAR SEAT
I measured between back fenders 50 inches wide, so seats better if 48" or less. You can use 3rd row from any chevy or gmc. I measured a Toyota 4runner rear seat at 50" across the pads.

FRONT SEAT
You can go with just about anything but keeping in mind getting into the back, the early 2door extended cab or suv that had the front seat tilt and slide. Other option I was looking at is mounting sliding brackets on normal seats. The tilt bracket on stock blazer seats don't work well with tall seats windshield dash etc.

In any case you will either have to buy brackets or make your own. 3rd row brackets are listed for sale on ebay and several members on here have made their own for the front seats. I have also seen the jeep sliding brackets for sale at some parts stores.

I agree with Effeckt and look for the seats with integrated shoulder seat belts. Do a search on ebay and figure out which stye you like and then start hitting up you junk yards and craigslist for better prices.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
Threadbaron

Thanks for both of the replies, it probably does make sense to go the marine vinyl route. Also sounds like maybe a newer seat but cover in the vinyl.
Do those newer seats match up pretty good with the steering wheel in regards to height, etc.? Apologies for the multiple q's just trying to figure a plan before i start sinking money in.
Old 03-11-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Threadbaron

Possum, thanks for the detailed feedback, you guys have helped me out! Will keep you posted on what I finally end up with.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Effeckt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadbaron View Post
Thanks for both of the replies, it probably does make sense to go the marine vinyl route. Also sounds like maybe a newer seat but cover in the vinyl.
Do those newer seats match up pretty good with the steering wheel in regards to height, etc.? Apologies for the multiple q's just trying to figure a plan before i start sinking money in.
I'm a big guy (6'4''/300lbs) and have no issues with my Silverado seats in any way. When I get home from work, I'll take a few pictures for you to help give you an idea.
Old 03-11-2013, 02:59 PM   #8
Threadbaron

Effeckt,

I appreciate the response, i'm 6'3" 250 so glad to hear it has worked for you. Pics would be great, tks again for taking the time to do it.
Old 03-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #9
blownz

I installed 4th Gen Camaro seats in my 72. I used the seat frames from a late 80s K5. The Camaro seats bolted right onto the seat frame. All I had to do was drill 4 holes in the rear floor . They are very comfortable and updated.
Attached Images

blownz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
NuBomb

I bought some utility buckets off of the board and then had them covered in marine grade vinyl.

North Georgia Group

"... And the first rule to being a man is you gotta spend your life doing crap you don't wanna do." Red Forman.
NuBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 09:11 PM   #11
truckster

I had to make a bracket for the Suburban 3rd row seat, but it fits just like the original Blazer seat.

The Silverado bench is about 1 1/2 to 2 inches higher, which I actually prefer. There's so much headroom in a Blazer, even with the top on, that I prefer the higher seating position and the improved view of the road.
truckster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 11:36 PM   #12
Effeckt

Here's a few shots of mine. I took one with a tape measure so you could see how much room there is.
Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2013, 11:37 PM   #13
Effeckt

Posted via Mobile Device
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2013, 11:42 PM   #14
Effeckt

Had to do it without the flash so the numbers would show up.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2013, 07:31 AM   #15
Threadbaron

Guys,
Thanks for all of the feedback, lots of good options looking through these. Appreciate the pics and the extra effort by Effeckt for adding the tape measure for reference. I was surprised at how well the Camaro seats seem to fit in with the overall look, had not even considered them before.

Thanks again guys!
Old 03-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #16
Effeckt

No problem man! Keep us posted on what you decide to put in.