The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-17-2003, 10:28 AM   #1
hank

projects while truck is being painted

friend and i are cutting out rust, welding and painting my 71 cheyenne. while the doors, trim, bumpers, fender wells and tailgate are off and the seat is out, i'm trying to do a few little things like get the cargo light working, taking care of any seals or felts that might need replacing and a few other odds and ends.

i have a couple of questions.

first, is it an easy job to replace all of the door window felts? the vents are fine, it's just the main ones that need some tlc. as well as the one around the window, i need the one that holds the window regulator in the track(REALLY tired of taking off the door panel to roll the window up).

secondly, i'm replacing all of the flooring material. i want a good heatshield/soundproofing material to go under some sort of rubber matt(no more carpet, please). does anyone out there know of any products they recommend for the job?

lastly, are there any other projects you guys would do at this point of restoration that would be made easier because everything is out and off of the truck?

thanks for any help.

Last edited by hank; 06-17-2003 at 12:31 PM.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 03:38 PM   #2
Huck

Often forgotten till it's too late ---empty the air boxes that provide fresh air into the cab----you can open the kickpanel vents and stick your hand in there to see if they are filled up with leaves, mice nests, etc. Empty them of all foreign matter then use compressed air to blow them out. Might also consider spraying some good rust preventative paint into these boxes keeping in mind that they will drain out between your fender and the cab door support. If your cowl is off, this too will help getting these air passages clean and sealed. my .02 Huck
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:13 PM   #3
hank

thanks huck. good idea.
hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 05:25 PM   #4
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

The heater box is also a very good place to find the crap that holds water and causes rust.
Attached Images

Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote