The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2013, 03:40 AM   #1
81Scottsdale520

Auto door locks and alarm system?

I was wondering if anyone has installed a alarm system in their trucks? and also if anyone installed the auto door locks? i been wanting to put them both in but dont really know much in that department and im the kind of guy that likes to do work on my truck and learn new stuff so wondering if anyone could give some tips or advice and recommendations?.
Old 03-13-2013, 06:58 AM   #2
tucsonjwt

Re: Auto door locks and alarm system?

I already had power door locks on my 83 Silverado so I just had a local aftermarket shop install keyless entry (Viper). There are kits available to install power door locks and actuators for about $250 (I think). On something like this, I let the pros do it. On the other hand, every time I let somebody work on my trucks electronics the cause trouble in other areas that I have to go back and track down and repair. The job is not hard - just finding the right place to connect the new parts is the issue. Search google for aftermarket power door locks and you will find a lot of options.
tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #3
mrhino
Account Suspended

I installed keyless entry, remote start and a alarm in my crew cab when I retro-fitted it with power windows and locks. Im one of the crazy guys that actully like wiring and electrical. Im not gonna lie. It was a time consuming. The kit I used didnt come with all the relays I needed so there was extra wiring that wasn't in the instructions. I could see it being very confusing for someone who hasn't done very much wiring before or who has ADHD. That being said. It's not impossible either. if you take your time and follow instructions you can do it.

here is a link to the instructions. take a look at it. It will at least give you some idea of what to expect.

http://www.crimestopper.com/Template...option_ins.pdf
mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:34 PM   #4
Psycho_SWB

If you already have factory power locks, then it's just a matter of finding the lock/unlock wires under the driver's side kick panel and connecting the door lock output wires from the alarm module. If you don't have factory power locks, then you have to install door lock actuators and run the wires through the doors into the cab, then wire up 2 relays (1 for lock, 1 for unlock) and connect the door lock output wires from the alarm module. At this point, you can also install door lock switches to your door panels and wire them up to the relay.

It can be a lot of work if you've never done it before.

I have factory power windows on mine, so I also installed window roll-up modules as well. When I arm my alarm, it locks the doors and rolls up my windows. I can push the auxiliary button on my alarm remote to crack open the windows on hot days or hold the button for a couple of seconds to roll both windows down completely. They're also 'one touch' windows, so I hit the window switch once and the windows will go up or down completely. I hit the switch again if I want to stop the window.
Psycho_SWB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:51 PM   #5
Ziegelsteinfaust

A friend of mine back years a go had a C10 we swapped to power everything, and he had a high quality stereo place install the remote alarm for him. I would like to say it was a viper unit, but I am not into that stuff.

The easiest way to get the parts is just to buy Suburban doors, and swap them on. Unless your paint is good then swap the internals. Ironically enough at my pick a parts the whole door is cheaper then the parts individually.

The best part was if you hit the lock button it would automatically roll up the windows, and lock the doors. Then for summer he would adjust it so when you unlocked it. The windows would automatically roll down. Also it would remote start which was cool, but often didn't work so well with the carb. Unless the engine was already warmed up.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 05:06 AM   #6
EddiesLow77

I had went down to the local junk yard with my friend i pulled out my factory power windows and power locks of and 79 silverado and put them on my 77 custom deluxe all the holes are thete already and to find the power source for them was easy jus get it off the fuse box and if u dnt remeber how it goes back on take pictures dude i was only 19 yrs old when i did it so good luck snd check it out or you you can also look at ckassic chevy parts they have a kit for like 250 or so....but good luck dude...
Posted via Mobile Device
EddiesLow77 is offline   Reply With Quote