The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-17-2013, 10:15 PM   #1
jhiggy94

insulation?

Today i put down some fatmat in my cab. Im hoping that this will quite the road noise but i am wondering if maybe i should put some more insulation just in the firewall area and i was thinking of just getting some kind of rattle can spray on insulation. Has anyone else done this or have any ideas? Thanks guys
jhiggy94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #2
71K20chevy

Re: insulation?

There was firewall padding from the factory, unless you mean you want to further insulate the firewall?
Old 03-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #3
olrosa

It will quite the noise a lot. I'm not a fan of spray insulation. Doesn't work well, save your money. Try what you've got and the add fat man to fire wall if you want later
Posted via Mobile Device
olrosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
buckskins4ever

dont do rattle can stuff like great stuff.....spray foam insulations attract moisture. do you still have the can fuel tank? if you do its a bit of a hassle to get the rear of the cab. However, there is a insulator sheeting you can get at lowes that comes in various widths for cheap. you can get that and a can of high strength 3M spray adhesive and spray in your cab corners and inside your doors on the outer panel. Make sure you spray both the metal being stuck to and the insulation pad to insure good adhesion. you can deaden the sound and reduce heat transfer with this stuff.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 10:30 PM   #5
jhiggy94

The factory firewall padding was all eaten away so i had to rip that out. I did try to put the fatmat as far up the firewall as i could without interfering with the placement of the heater core and such. Do you guys think the fat mat will be enough noise insulation, and i wont really need much else?
Old 03-18-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
WadmalawJoe

I have been debating over this same issue myself. I think I will be ordering the firewall insulation for mine. I have noticed every little bit helps. I insulated inside my doors and that helped a lot with road noise. Half of my firewall insulation is missing and the idea of buying some made to fit in that space sounds great compared to cutting something to fit around all those obstacles.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 10:32 AM   #7
jhiggy94

What kit are you planning on buying? and what kind of insulation did you put inside your doors? I am going to try and put the fat mat inside the doors as well.
Old 03-18-2013, 12:18 PM   #8
buckskins4ever

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiggy94 View Post
What kit are you planning on buying? and what kind of insulation did you put inside your doors? I am going to try and put the fat mat inside the doors as well.
for the fatmat you have to get it incredible clean for adhesion.....keep this in mind that it REAL hard to get that panel inside the door clean enough to use sticky mat type deadeners. Thats why I mentioned the 3M spray and insulation/sound mat setup. Once you get dirt on the sticky surface of the mat you know as I do it is hard to get to restick.
buckskins4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 08:34 PM   #9
WadmalawJoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhiggy94 View Post
I haven't picked out a kit yet.
Inside the doors I just used the roll of insulation wrap from Lowes, its basically chrome or reflective bubble wrap. I cleaned the inside of the door real well, cut the insulation to fit and folded it in such a way I could spray both the doorskin and the insulation, wait a few minutes then unfold a part and then fold the other part so I could spray it, basically about a half at a time. I also cut a piece to fit behind the interior door panel and sandwiched that in without gluing it in case I needed to get inside the door again.

My youngest son and I picked up a 69 Chevy C-10 on 1/7/22, this is my second 69, it was 10 years ago that I had my other one. So I’m back!!!
WadmalawJoe is offline   Reply With Quote