The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2013, 02:09 PM   #1
dirtracer81_2

Sandblasting body parts prices.

So im ready to get carried away now that I have my patch panels on their way. I started doing some checking around and seems like only one place around here does blasting. My dad has 2 fenders off his car he was going to take and they quoted him $95 to do them. Is that expensive or the going rate for blasting?
I tried shooting the bed myself with a small one I have and I went through 50lbs and didnt even get halfway across the bedside.
dirtracer81_2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 PM   #2
Chevette

Re: Sandblasting body parts prices.

That price sounds a bit rich to me. If you do your own blasting, make sure you don't heat the metal up (which is easy to do). I would also recommend that you do not blast large relatively flat panels, such as hoods, doors and roofs, as they are very likely to heat warp. In my opinion those parts are better stripped than blasted. Some blasting media will keep the panels cooler. Soda blasting is better for sensitive areas, but requires additional equipment on your blaster. Good luck with your project.

Question: Know how to sell your truck for $50,000?
Answer: Spend $100,000 building it.
Chevette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #3
GMtrucknut!!

I had my cross sill braces done for my bed it was $60 . The local Guru on blasting charges $100 per hour plus media but he did a friend of mines whole truck for $450. So at that rate it isn't too bad.
GMtrucknut!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 07:12 PM   #4
dirtracer81_2

Yeah I didnt want to blast the doors but the dude doing my body work said he wanted them clean so paint will stick good....Kinda sounded dumb to me.
Old 03-19-2013, 02:53 AM   #5
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

You're in VA, but pretty far from me, but I've used a guy in Radford and just like GMtrucknut!! $450 for a complete 1954 truck, frame and all.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
mechanixman

Now the whole truck, Is that the front clip, cab, frame, and bed on like a moving palette?
How do you give them the whole truck to blast?
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
stodd16

to bad your not from pa local blaster did my entire panel truck body hood fenders body doors for 200 bucks
stodd16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
mr48chev

I'd say that for sheet metal especially it is far more important to use someone who really knows what he is doing rather than worrying about the best price.

Someone who is used to sand blasting bulldozer blades and other heavy equipment can ruin sheetmetal before you know it. I've seen the results of heavy handed sandblast operators in the past that didn't know how to blast sheet metal and ended up destroying a pretty nice body. Look at the work they do and make sure they know what they are doing.

One local place has a guy who does a meticulous job of sandblasting but he has bent at least one frame handling it with the fork lift. The gentlest thing I can say is that he is a rather simple minded gent who works full time 40 hours a week and gives his all but doesn't have a lot grasp on the concept that you have to handle the customer's stuff carefully. He is used to sandblasting semi trailer bodies and frames and the car stuff is a sideline that they take on.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:36 PM   #9
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I'd say that for sheet metal especially it is far more important to use someone who really knows what he is doing rather than worrying about the best price.
This is a very true statement. Stick with a company that has a lot of car guys as clients. Also talk with people who have had their cars blasted by them. I had my cab blasted inside and out and it cost me 250. I went to the guy because some lowrider guys told me he does all their cars, and no one is a nutty as lowriders when it comes to their rides.lol

Here is what it looked like the day I picked it up.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
dirtracer81_2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63 & 64 Bowties View Post
You're in VA, but pretty far from me, but I've used a guy in Radford and just like GMtrucknut!! $450 for a complete 1954 truck, frame and all.

Hey radfords only an hour from me. Were you happy with what he done. And have a contact number for him?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 04:50 PM   #11
dirtracer81_2

Ok so after a few speed bumps its time. Found some Guys around. One does soda blasting for $75 and hour and another place that sand blasts said it should be around 600$ without seeing it and that was in etchint primer when he's done. Seemed as if he knew what he was doing.

My question is i wonder how many hours the blaster would take. I know on my small one like a 12x12 area would take a good 10 minutes
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 06-25-2013, 05:43 PM   #12
Zach B

I have found hot rod shops are the best places to go. A little more expencive sometimes but they generaly have the most experience.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zach B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2013, 07:39 PM   #13
mechanixman

I haven't found a place around here that is willing to do big parts like a cab, but I can get a frame sandblasted AND powdercoated for $750.
Not too bad

Projects:
1952 Chevy 1 ton = The Build page
mechanixman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 01:32 AM   #14
tttuba

Guy out here was charging me 150 for the 2 bed sides. I brought it in without fenders and all hardware removed. He used walnut shells and a bit of garnet mixed in. Came out good. No warping. Will take him the rest eventually but don't want bare parts hanging around till I can prime them.
tttuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #15
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by tttuba View Post
Guy out here was charging me 150 for the 2 bed sides. I brought it in without fenders and all hardware removed. He used walnut shells and a bit of garnet mixed in. Came out good. No warping. Will take him the rest eventually but don't want bare parts hanging around till I can prime them.
Oh come on it never rains there.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 10:41 AM   #16
mr48chev

I just checked because I want to get my running boards done and the local outfit that is also one of the local powder coaters charges 50.00 an hour straight time with a half hour minimum. As I said earlier she only has one guy that she has do sheetmetal.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 12:12 PM   #17
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabwe View Post
This is a very true statement. Stick with a company that has a lot of car guys as clients. Also talk with people who have had their cars blasted by them. I had my cab blasted inside and out and it cost me 250. I went to the guy because some lowrider guys told me he does all their cars, and no one is a nutty as lowriders when it comes to their rides.lol

Here is what it looked like the day I picked it up.
Bam, where did you have this done? I might just take my suburban body there once i get it ripped apart. Also, which primer did they put on it?

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:55 PM   #18
Budman56

I have a bad addiction to sandblasting and primer powder coating, every truck I have has gone through the same process, as far as cost I built a relationship with a powder coater when I did my first truck and now he gives me a bulk discount. This truck here has been sand blasted three times in it life, originally belonging to my great grandfather then my grandfather, then he gave it to me when I was teenager and I destroyed it doing stupid things, now in my late fortes I am going to set straight the damage I did to it in my teens, It survived a fire and now has come home to be rebuilt and it will be passed to my daughter.
Attached Images

......................_____
.........________//__{\_____
,,,,,,,/__(O)___//___/__(O)_/
Budman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 10:57 PM   #19
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Is powder coat primer better?
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2013, 11:00 PM   #20
Budman56

I couldn't say that it is better just that it works for me, and I don't have to worry about it rusting while I am working on it. it will be a several year project. and I have seen it done on several car shows.

Old 07-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #21
Dan in Pasadena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budman56 View Post
I have a bad addiction to sandblasting and primer powder coating, every truck I have has gone through the same process, as far as cost I built a relationship with a powder coater when I did my first truck and now he gives me a bulk discount. This truck here has been sand blasted three times in it life, originally belonging to my great grandfather then my grandfather, then he gave it to me when I was teenager and I destroyed it doing stupid things, now in my late fortes I am going to set straight the damage I did to it in my teens, It survived a fire and now has come home to be rebuilt and it will be passed to my daughter.
Is this going to be a stock restoration? I ask because you said it's powder coated and all the original holes are in the firewall and floor boards, such as starter foot pedal, etc. If it's NOT a stock restoration, shouldn't the holes you will not use have been welded shut before powder coating rather than grind, weld, spot prime?
Dan in Pasadena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 02:00 PM   #22
Budman56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan in Pasadena View Post
Is this going to be a stock restoration? I ask because you said it's powder coated and all the original holes are in the firewall and floor boards, such as starter foot pedal, etc. If it's NOT a stock restoration, shouldn't the holes you will not use have been welded shut before powder coating rather than grind, weld, spot prime?
For the most part I will keep what was original, as for it being an original resto I will be careful what I say because I have been jumped on to by the restoration police crew... LOL. The primer powder is just for protection, it's manly to protect the sheet metal while I work on the body work. This will be a long rebuild so I like to keep my metal clean. And with it sand blasted and then primer powder it lets me know what needs my attention.