The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-18-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
sqrlnts

Remote entry / door locks

Anyone use the remote entry, electric lock kit from LMC? Currently my 57 doors do not lock with the key but need to change that as I am wanting to install my stereo equipment.

Looking for details like what you like and dislike about this or comparable systems.

Thanks in advance.
sqrlnts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 12:12 PM   #2
_Ogre

Re: Remote entry / door locks

are you shaving the door handles?

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 03:01 PM   #3
sqrlnts

No plans to shaved the handles Ogre.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #4
agnes the dog

Remote door locks would be nice. Not looking to shave the handles either, just something to unlock/lock without the key. Looking forward to find out what others have done!
agnes the dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #5
sqrlnts

Really, I am suprised no one has installed remote power locks. The kit is only $70.
Old 03-19-2013, 11:29 PM   #6
oldcouple

Pretty sure that kit is more work than you think, most likely need to change out the lock system to bear claw style latches.

http://www.customclassictrucks.com/t...s/viewall.html

Last edited by oldcouple; 03-19-2013 at 11:43 PM.
oldcouple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
NEWFISHER

I have installed a bunch of universal elec lock kits on several of our classics, the burb is the only one I haven't done one on yet. My wife CAN NOT LOCK A DOOR BEHIND HER so its been out of a need for security to install them and just click the remote. All of the cars and trucks were different, the kits or single pieces were the same. You just have to be able to attatch the long rod to the locking mechanism. Wether you weld it on, drill a hole in a pre existing latch or use the supplied barrel nut to fasten an existing lock rod to the supplied rod....its the only thing that matters. The rest is easy. Mount the electric actuator inside the door, attatch the other end of the lock rod, power the actuator with the trigger wire from the reciever, mount the reciever and supply 12v to it and a ground. I had looked into some threads here, stovebolt, hamb etc on elect locks using OE A.D. truck latches and came to the conclusion most went with bearclaw ( that doesn't give you a mechanical lock) or the other guys( can't remember the name) that gives you the ability for both. I haven't torn my latches apart yet to look, but am assuming if I did try to tag a moving part of the locking mechanism , I would most likely have to weld a finger or small bracket to the lock to get a rod to attatch to it if I wanted to stick with the OE set up.
Posted via Mobile Device
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:54 AM   #8
sqrlnts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWFISHER View Post
I have installed a bunch of universal elec lock kits on several of our classics, the burb is the only one I haven't done one on yet. My wife CAN NOT LOCK A DOOR BEHIND HER so its been out of a need for security to install them and just click the remote. All of the cars and trucks were different, the kits or single pieces were the same. You just have to be able to attatch the long rod to the locking mechanism. Wether you weld it on, drill a hole in a pre existing latch or use the supplied barrel nut to fasten an existing lock rod to the supplied rod....its the only thing that matters. The rest is easy. Mount the electric actuator inside the door, attatch the other end of the lock rod, power the actuator with the trigger wire from the reciever, mount the reciever and supply 12v to it and a ground. I had looked into some threads here, stovebolt, hamb etc on elect locks using OE A.D. truck latches and came to the conclusion most went with bearclaw ( that doesn't give you a mechanical lock) or the other guys( can't remember the name) that gives you the ability for both. I haven't torn my latches apart yet to look, but am assuming if I did try to tag a moving part of the locking mechanism , I would most likely have to weld a finger or small bracket to the lock to get a rod to attatch to it if I wanted to stick with the OE set up.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thanks Newfisher, where did you purchase your kits?
Old 04-11-2013, 01:37 AM   #9
NEWFISHER

Flea bay, crutchfield, amazon etc.
Posted via Mobile Device
NEWFISHER is offline   Reply With Quote